frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Old School Training

MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
Let's say for the sake of argument that one did not want to spend the money on a coach or a system like TP. Let's also assume the person can read and is good enough with Excel and databases to build up a program that relies on percentages, thresholds, etc.

Which of the 'old school' training books do you lean towards?
  1. What book offers the best approach for setting up a training program?13 votes
    1. Sleamaker and Browning: SERIOUS Training for Endurance Athletes
        7.69%
    2. Something by Hunter Allen
        7.69%
    3. Joe Friel's Triathlon Training Bible
      46.15%
    4. Matt Dixon Well-Built Triathlete
        7.69%
    5. Other - post in comments
      30.77%
Maddie_McK

Comments

• Options
    Brew_TriBrew_Tri Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    My first IM was with a beginners triathlete schedule. Printed it out and it just listed times for each event I should be doing every day. I'm not sure they still have a full ironman one. I could look around a bit but I dont want to
    Yay Sports! :#
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    edited November 2018
    Back to basics. Kent Coates sets, 4 days a week. 40 x 100 on 1:30, 20 x 200 on 3:00, 10 x 400 on 6:00, and 3 x 1500 on 22:30. Don't even bother running, you'll be fit enough. Go Mounties!
    GasBomb
    #KOAT
  • Options
    OverBiker_SamOverBiker_Sam Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Beginner's triathlete HIM plan. Still use a variant of it!
    Cheers,
    -Sam

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    Still use my free TP account to upload my workouts there, despite not having a coach (or training much) of the last 4 years.

I'd say it depends on what event you plan on training for. Make the basic schedule in Excel, but upload to the workouts anyway.
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM

GrantInSLCgregkteawhymonksGasBombMartinTad_MCraig_DKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Anyone using the Slowtwitch training log? Asking for a friend.
    MattgregkGasBombKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Dr. Ferrari plans seem to work the best.
    M_WareMattCraig_DGasBombmaggieru
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Granpa ChookGranpa Chook Member
    edited November 2018
    Most of those books kinda suck.

You could just do this...

Steve Ovett's winter training

— Andy Renfree (@AndyRenfree) November 21, 2018
    MartinMatt
  • Options

Most of those books kinda suck.

You could just do this...

Steve Ovett's winter training

— Andy Renfree (@AndyRenfree) November 21, 2018
    Ah, the days when men were men... And he probably went to the pub for two pints of bitter to recover from those workouts...
    Tad_MGasBombGranpa Chook
  • Options
    Ovett's easy pace is 7:00/mile (4:21/km) and the 10 miles on Monday p.m. (with 25 miles in the legs from the previous 36 hours) is at 5:15/mile (3:22/km or 2:21 Marathon pace).

But he was a trackie with a crazy set of PBs and won Gold in the 800m and Bronze in the 1500m at the 1980 Olympic Games.

Distance Time Date
    400m 47.5 1974
    800m 1:44.09 1978
    1000m 2:15.91 1979
    1500m 3:30.77 1983
    Mile 3:48.40 1981
    2000m 4:57.71 1982
    3000m 7:41.3 1977
    Two miles 8:13.51 1978
    5000m 13:20.06 1986
    Half Marathon 1:05:38 1977
    Granpa Chook
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I have a barely cracked copy of Friel's bible on my shelf if you want it.

I get the feeling you have enough training knowledge to sort yourself out. Why waste time reading?
  • Options
    @Martin I think there's something to be said for a plan like...

-Swim with a masters group 2-3x per week
    -Hard group ride once per week
    -Hard interval/track group run once per week
    -One long-ish ride and run per week
    -Gym 2x per week (weights + mobility work)
    -Fill in with moderate pace / distance stuff if you have extra time

I've seen this type of program work very well. Looking back to my early days, I had some really good performances doing this... and set some PRs that took a LONG time to beat when I later switched to a more "scientific" and high volume plan. My first 1/2 IM was 4:20-ish... I didn't beat that until I think 3-4 years later. Intense and fun group workouts can take you really far.
    Aaron WebsteyMattGasBombMaddie_McKkjrunninTad_Mfyrehaar
    The Dude at Minimal Multisport Podcast, Blog, and YouTube.
    MY PATREON!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I also have a few books you can borrow if you're interested.

Old School is the bottom-left book, I feel it's up your alley ;)

Aaron Websteygregk
  • Options
    Granpa ChookGranpa Chook Member
    edited November 2018
    One of the best Triathlon “books” with an appropriate blog for this thread: http://thetriathlonbook.blogspot.com/2007/11/old-school-by-choice-or-by-default.html

Other worthwhile stuff, if you like to learn about training: Daniels Running Formula, Science of Running by Magness. Any research by Seiler, or Mujika. Any Bob Bowman talk, Russell Mark’s presentation on usa swimming.org, Science of Winning by Olbrecht. Swimming Fastest by Maglisco. John Kiely’s Paper on Periodization. Athletic Development by Vern Gambetta. Running the Lydiard Way. Optimal Tapering by Mujika. The Obree Way. In Pursuit of Excellence by Orlick.

Learning about it, and implementing it are two different things though. That’s why an experienced coach and group will usually be more effective even if it’s not great methodology (like the common mistake of too much intensity not the right volume).

Also @Matt I see you, trying to get rid of your Brian Mackenzie book. ;) You need to take a little shit just for buying that, just a little.
    MattAaron WebsteyMaddie_McK
  • Options
    It was a gift (no, really!) from an ex-gf. I haven't really used it, so I figured it was a bunch of CrossFit exercises that focus more on endurance athletes.
    Granpa Chook
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    For a lot of amateurs, the real benefit of group training is motivation and accountability. Sure, there's the benefit of being pushed, but a lot of us are better served by getting out there and moving rather than watching hockey with a beer.
    I have an old-school running mindset. Do exercise a lot, make 20% of it intense, and you'll be good.
    Aaron WebsteyMartinMaddie_McKKenElPescadoPelado

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch