frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

You should probably be eating better than you are right now. Let's work on that together.

doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
Odds are you're a bit overweight, or you're skinny with a terrible diet. I know this is a terrible time of year to start something like this but I thought it would be a good idea to have a place to share diet tips and hold each other accountable.

My plan is to share screenshots of my cronometer results. I've been using this and myfitnesspal but prefer this one. If I ever fall off the wagon please message me on here or tweet me @JarretWithOneT to let me know to post my shit.

For me, weight has always been a constant battle and despite cleaning up my diet a lot in the last few years I'm still sitting around 183lbs on a 5'7" frame. The best I got to was around 160lbs in 2013. After that I started training more so I found I was always hungry and actually put on weight after I started doing more training. After I broke my foot I put on 15lbs and I'm still struggling to get that off. I balance that, because the diet choices I made in the last 2 years means that my IBD is in a really good remission now with my blood tests and other biomarkers looking really good...I just eat in excess.

I should note, I don't eat animal products...apart from honey (and limited). I cut out dairy years ago since it was a known and common trigger for my IBD and since cutting out meat and increasing fiber my CRP (blood inflammation) and fecal calprotectin levels have come to well below that of the average person. I have a modern family relationship with high blood pressure/cholesterol so eggs are out. My cholesterol was around 180 two years ago, not super high but at 28 it could have been the start of a trend. My last blood work 3 months ago had it just above 100. I have no desire to start consuming animal products again but I think it's cool if you do. I limit honey because, since it's a natural antibiotic, it can have some effect on my intestinal microbiome. My entire goal is to keep that microbiome in a state that supports good gut health and my IBD at bay and what I'm doing now seems to be helping that apart from the number on the scale.

Share some of your screenshots, or don't, and explain why you suck at dieting. Throw around some tips on how people can do better while still having some donuts every once in a while.

Day 1: Yesterday. 84.4kg - Breakfast was normal - 2 slices of silver hills bread, sunflower butter and banana. I got hungry around 11:30 so went to the work vending machine for a rice krispie treat. They're 100g of 100% carbs, 400 calories. They're so fucking addicting and I hate it. I failed to meal prep so for lunch I picked up a fried samosa with half a can of beans and two apples. I didn't have anything made for supper so I just microwaved a few potatoes and ate them with ketchup and a vegenaise dip (just vegenaise and chipotle/mango seasoning). Around 8:30 I had some chips and hummus as a snack. It was cold as fuck out and windy/snowy and I haven't connected the heater in my garage yet (treadmill/trainer in there) so I just wasn't up for any kind of workout.

Assessment: Way too much added sugar with the rice krispie treat and beans. I'm ok with sugar if it's eaten as a whole fruit. My sunflower seed butter is higher in fat than most peanut butter but at 8g of protein per 2tbsp it's not terrible. I like that I maintained only 21% of calories from fat and my 54g of fiber is encouraging but I could easily hit that by eating 600 calories less. Protein intake seems low but at 84kg the suggested amount (0.8g/kg) is on par. I've also seen suggestions that 0.8g/kg should be the standard for LEAN body mass, and not total body mass, which would mean I'm getting more than enough, perhaps even an excess, of protein.

simonsen77Martinkjrunninwchevronslickfins_RyanAaron WebsteyM_Wareellsworth53tfyrehaar

Comments

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    5'10". Just barely squeaked under 2 hundy this morning. 4 years ago (when this photo was taken), shortly after supper started training again, I got down to 175 around this time of year. Trying to get back there but fucking it up every step of the way.

MattwchevronKenElPescadoPeladogregkCraig_DTad_MdoyoueventribroPevashishDaulrangamelidking90
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Thanks for the push @doyoueventribro . I installed myfitnesspal and I'm tracking food. Good luck on your quest.
    M_WareAaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Lets get to work you fat fuckers.

(((((Healing hugs)))))
    Aaron WebsteyCraig_DdoyoueventribroKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @doyoueventribro Next time, put the hummus on your potato & add some sauteed veggies. The protein from the hummus & volume from the veggies might keep you out of the potato chips (if you were eating out of hunger vs habit or boredom anyway).

Also, if it matters to you... read the ingredients on your rice krispy treat. It probably has gelatin in it so you are eating animal products - maybe that will make it easier to resist. (I'm SO not judging. I call myself a "dirty vegan" because I sometimes eat milk chocolate and caramel. I also have leather seats in my car so I guess I'm not getting in to vegan heaven... very sad because I imagine it to be filled with cats.)

Don't be afraid of protein & fat - calorically dense but will do you better in the long run than a lower-calorie carby snack that doesn't have any lasting power and just makes you want more carbs. I'm not anti-carb, just suggesting you pair them with fat and/or protein... again, that's to stop grazing out of hunger vs habit or boredom.

If you want accountability but no advice, you can just tell me to fuck off. I suck at swim bike run but dieting is actually something I excel at... which is good because after dropping almost half my body weight , I discovered that I have to keep counting calories 90% of the time and acting like I'm on a diet if I want to maintain. It's a bummer, but better than being 255 lbs... that's right, I beat you all! Fat fucker indeed.
    doyoueventribroM_WarewchevronAaron WebsteyrangamelMaddie_McKCraig_DJohns622

• Options
    kjrunnin said:

@doyoueventribro Next time, put the hummus on your potato & add some sauteed veggies. The protein from the hummus & volume from the veggies might keep you out of the potato chips (if you were eating out of hunger vs habit or boredom anyway).

Also, if it matters to you... read the ingredients on your rice krispy treat. It probably has gelatin in it so you are eating animal products - maybe that will make it easier to resist. (I'm SO not judging. I call myself a "dirty vegan" because I sometimes eat milk chocolate and caramel. I also have leather seats in my car so I guess I'm not getting in to vegan heaven... very sad because I imagine it to be filled with cats.)

Don't be afraid of protein & fat - calorically dense but will do you better in the long run than a lower-calorie carby snack that doesn't have any lasting power and just makes you want more carbs. I'm not anti-carb, just suggesting you pair them with fat and/or protein... again, that's to stop grazing out of hunger vs habit or boredom.

If you want accountability but no advice, you can just tell me to fuck off. I suck at swim bike run but dieting is actually something I excel at... which is good because after dropping almost half my body weight , I discovered that I have to keep counting calories 90% of the time and acting like I'm on a diet if I want to maintain. It's a bummer, but better than being 255 lbs... that's right, I beat you all! Fat fucker indeed.

You're probably right with the gelatin. I'm cool with that. When my IBD wasn't in remission I would have 5-6 marshmallows, wait 15 minutes and then go for a run. It really clogged things up and prevented bathroom emergencies whole running. Long term that definitely wasn't a good idea.

I upgraded to the gold version of chronometer and used the "suggest food" function (you can have it set to vegan only options). It suggested I finish my day off with two cups of spinach. Not ideal...but it's Friday.
  • Options
    slickfins_Ryanslickfins_Ryan Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I’m gonna be honest: I’ve been eating like crap lately. I eat tons of carbs, (mostly via pizza and pasta.) I’ve been working a lot lately and have not been cooking at home, so I’ve been popping into my local pizza place or pub several nights a week for food that while delicious, is probably terrible for you.

Trouble is, my weight stays pretty constant, (I’m about 155 lbs) and I use this as an excuse to eat satisfying but shitty foods. While I am pretty comfortable with my weight, I’m sure I’m not doing myself any favors.

I’m tinkering with the idea of trying the high fat/low carb route... particularly after reading how well a lot of people seem to do racing after becoming more fat adapted. Does anyone here follow this? Was it to tough to get started? Did you get faster?
    Aaron Websteydoyoueventribro

Kind of wish I was Canadian. Sorry.

• Options
    simonsen77simonsen77 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I’ve been on a high fat high carb plan, and my racing has sucked.
    slickfins_RyanAaron WebsteykjrunninTad_MPevashishDaulidking90MartinJohns622
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    We went to a naturopath who told us we both have sugar and dairy intolerance. I'm about 95% sure the "science" behind the Carroll test is balogna, but I did feel a lot better and lose weight during a one month hiatus from those things. Was it cutting dairy and sugar that helped, or just that we had to eat real fruits and veggies and meats instead of processed foods?

High fat low carb, like all diets that can be fully described in 4 words or less, sounds like a great idea for the diet industry and a terrible plan for any real human.
    kjrunninMaddie_McKslickfins_RyanTad_MdoyoueventribroJohns622IanL
    #KOAT
  • Options
    HFHC @simonsen77 wins! Game over.
    simonsen77Aaron WebsteyCraig_D
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
  • Options

I’m gonna be honest: I’ve been eating like crap lately. I eat tons of carbs, (mostly via pizza and pasta.) I’ve been working a lot lately and have not been cooking at home, so I’ve been popping into my local pizza place or pub several nights a week for food that while delicious, is probably terrible for you.

Trouble is, my weight stays pretty constant, (I’m about 155 lbs) and I use this as an excuse to eat satisfying but shitty foods. While I am pretty comfortable with my weight, I’m sure I’m not doing myself any favors.

I’m tinkering with the idea of trying the high fat/low carb route... particularly after reading how well a lot of people seem to do racing after becoming more fat adapted. Does anyone here follow this? Was it to tough to get started? Did you get faster?

I was at my best weight while eating low carb and high protein. Often a meal of 3-4 eggs with 1 egg yolk, turkey bacon and half a piece of toast and then two chicken breasts and a little bit of potatoes for supper. It was before I trained seriously but I also had my worst IBD flare and it's what started me to look at how diet and my microbiome effect my IBD more. If I was to do it again I'd make sure to include a lot more fiber to offset the putrifaction of meat and maintain a healthy microbiome.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Day 2. I learned how to use the scroll capture feature on my phone. I went to the work vending machine again for some corn chips. I think my solution is just not to have any cash at work. I walk by the vending machine so many times and it's so tempting. Lunch was a potato/lentil soup and supper a veggie pizza. Take out the chips and beer and I'm satisfied with a day like this. It would have helped if I had a salad with supper.

kjrunninAaron Webstey
  • Options
    I need more data.

Slowman, can we make this thread a sticky?
    Craig_DTad_MdoyoueventribroAaron WebsteyMartinJohns622
  • Options
    maggierumaggieru Member, Pro Triathlete
    When I broke my ankle, I had a vet appointment shortly after and my vet pointed out that Lucy was looking a little porky and with both of our decreased exercise levels thanks to the injury, I should cut back her food intake. So while we were both on running hiatus, she sadly went to 2/3 of her regular food and trimmed up in the process (yay!). Even more sadly, I failed to do the same and so am just now starting the process of losing the bonus injury weight.

I didn't think Lucy looked that overweight before until last week when my neighbor saw us and mentioned that Lucy looked great and that it was wonderful she "wasn't a chunky girl anymore".

If Lucy can do it, we can all do it! Do you think my neighbor will tell me the same thing in a few weeks? :# B)
    M_Waredoyoueventribroslickfins_RyanKenElPescadoPeladoAaron WebsteyGranpa ChookkjrunninMartinJohns622
    insta: @magrusch
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @doyoueventribro good for you - public accountability is a good way to ensure success. Keep at it

@slickfins_Ryan send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you some stuff I shared in the attached link. If anyone else wants it just PM as well. LCHF is awesome (for me) from a health and racing perspective. I have been severely off the wagon lately so its a good time to get re inspired. If you've never done it before the cab flu can be a killer but getting out the other side is fantastic.

http://triroost.com/discussion/comment/57167/#Comment_57167
    doyoueventribroslickfins_RyanAaron Webstey
    Canadian Division
  • Options
  • Options
    Brew_TriBrew_Tri Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Alright. I'm in. I need to get my shit together. Been getting sick a lot and dont have really any functioning diet. Probably way too much fast food.
    doyoueventribroslickfins_RyanAaron Webstey
    Yay Sports! :#
  • Options
    Day 3. I'm ok with it. Easy changes. No sour patch kids and no beer puts me at a decent 500 cal deficit and I still haven't exercised. Meal prepped some things. I made a butternut squash soup that made 6 servings so that's a good lunch for the week. I think I'm going to add some chickpeas or other bean to it to up the protein, calorie and texture. I made my own hummus, the stuff I usually buy is packed with oil, and a batch of black beans and snacked on them...so I'm counting it.

kjrunninCraig_D
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    Easy swap: replace your chips & crackers with sliced cucumber or bell pepper as a vehicle for your hummus.
    slickfins_RyanAaron WebsteyM_WareCraig_DdoyoueventribroKenElPescadoPelado

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited November 2018
    As if I don't already just spoon the hummus directly into my face
    M_WareCraig_DMartinkjrunninmaggieruBrew_TriJohns622Aaron WebsteyStruang
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Scale says 213 lbs yesterday. Getting after it now. Ran for 30 minutes easy and did a good mobility sequence and some weights. 700 cal deficit according to MyFitnessPal. I’ll hit the scale again in a week. More interested in body fat percentage. Goal is to hit 70% fat intake as a minimum.

Edit. The banana after the gym screwed me

M_WaredoyoueventribroAaron Webstey
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    kjrunnin said:

Easy swap: replace your chips & crackers with sliced cucumber or bell pepper as a vehicle for your hummus.

Another easy swap, @doyoueventribro can you tolerate blueberries? Frozen blueberries have fantastic flavor. Do you have a sweet tooth? Are the sour patch kids a craving or a habit? Try switching for frozen blueberries. If not sweet enough you can add a little Truvia.
    slickfins_RyanMattkjrunninAaron Webstey
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    kjrunnin said:

I've been eating it more with baby carrots and that seems to help. As long as I can limit the tortilla chips I think I'll be ok
    kjrunninAaron Webstey
  • Options
    M_Ware said:

kjrunnin said:

Another easy swap, @doyoueventribro can you tolerate blueberries? Frozen blueberries have fantastic flavor. Do you have a sweet tooth? Are the sour patch kids a craving or a habit? Try switching for frozen blueberries. If not sweet enough you can add a little Truvia.
    I have frozen wild gooseberries and always have blueberries in the freezer. The sour patch kids were a result of running errands too long between breakfast and lunch. I stopped for gas and they didn't have pay-at-the-pump so I had to go in. The sour patch kids were too tempting.
    M_WareAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Celery sticks are a better option than carrots. Carrots are very high in carbs even though they are a healthier option than crackers. Peppers are another option as well. These lists are a pretty solid guide:

https://go.realmealrevolution.com/banting20lists

Canadian Division
  • Options
    Johns622Johns622 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Alright, I'll join this. I was using myfitnesspal pretty successfully, but just fell off the wagon, again. Why cronometer over myfitnesspal? Currently hovering around 170 and want to race about 155 (I'm only 5'7")
    slickfins_RyandoyoueventribroCraig_DAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Johns622 said:

Alright, I'll join this. I was using myfitnesspal pretty successfully, but just fell off the wagon, again. Why cronometer over myfitnesspal? Currently hovering around 170 and want to race about 155 (I'm only 5'7")

I find cronometer a bit easier for whole foods and provides a bit more data. Their mobile app isn't as nice but their desktop version is good. Kind of a toss up really. I used MFP but didn't stick with it so this is just a different thing. I like that it imports all of my garmin data but I think MFP also does that.
    Johns622
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Day 4. Back to the PC. I had this beer in my fridge for the last few weeks so decided it was a good time to use it. A friend gave us some fresh sourdough so it was impossible to not eat that with the supper corn chowder. The calories expended for hockey are probably a bit high but definitely not out of control. I upgraded to the gold version of cronometer which makes saving recipes easier, it kills me to pay $7/month for something like this but hopefully after 4-5 months everything will just be habit, I'm down to 160lbs and ready for race season.

Aaron WebsteyCraig_DTad_M
  • Options
    3 good days in a row till last night. The stress of the Bosch season four final two episodes caused me to binge eat about 3 cups of dry Crispix cereal. Oh well. I still did ok for the three days cumulative. Switched from myfitnesspal to Carb Manager.
    doyoueventribroM_WareCraig_D
  • Options
    The MyFitnessPal app seems to be having an issue right now ...every time I enter the app or track a food item, it appears to add my linked Garmin data. So I am credited with a 592-calorie swim 6 times (so far) today.

it’s a great time to be using mfp!
    doyoueventribroAaron WebsteyJohns622Craig_D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch