frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

2016 Specialized CruX Expert Evo - SCS Hub Issues?

RashRash Member
Found a great deal on a 2016 Specialized CruX Expert Evo, however I have heard stories and googled the SCS compatibility issues. My questions is if it's a big enough deal to pass up a pristine bike with upgraded crank (to Ultegra 1x11) owned by a local bike shop mechanic? I don't like the white tires or bar tape, but otherwise it's a pretty sweet ride I can pick up for probably less than $1k.

I will use it for the occasional CX race and also hope to use it for gravel riding as well. Most guys around here run 37 mm tires for gravel riding which this bike can easily accommodate (he said he has had 40+ on there).

M_WareKenElPescadoPelado

Comments

• Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Super cool. Keep the white seat and tape, do retro tires and save for the black trims, it's like an old Mercxk Domex-Weinmann
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    The crux is one of the frames I’m looking at for cx/gravel. I think it could be great. I didn’t know about the scs stuff, what is the issue? That frame paint is kinda dope
  • Options
    @Granpa Chook My understanding of the SCS hub issue is that it's proprietary for Specialized bikes and was only used for about 2-3 years depending on the model (Crux was only 2016). The spacing is totally unique and only (at least initially) Specialized house brands make rims that will work (Axis and Roval). There are some adapters, however they create other issues apparently.
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    @Matt Never! I have never cut a stem on one of my bikes (hence never bothered posting them in BAW thread). Due to some limitations with my neck I usually ride with the stem up as high as possible anyway.
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    Sounds like you just need a taller headtube.
    (PS you cut the fork steerer, not the stem)
  • Options
    @Matt - Yes - Meant to say fork (referring to fork steerer).

What I need is surgery on my neck, having tall headtubes with boner stems is a cheaper work around to hopefully keep the knife years down the road.
  • Options
    @Rash embrace the boner stem, and your seat is not too high. If it keeps you ridin', it's gold, Jerry!
    Aaron WebsteyRash
    The Dude at Minimal Multisport Podcast, Blog, and YouTube.
    MY PATREON!
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Read up @Rash. You made me curious with the SCS. From what I gather, the "proprietary" simply meant is is a 130mm road spacing hub. They fudged the chainline with that. Most disc rear wheels would be 135mm. I am reading that specialized used an offset hanger to meet the hub flange, and if you want to run 135 disc standard hubs, you just buy a Wheels Mfg hanger (which has no offset), and you're good to go. Problem is you can't fast swap the two wheelsets then.
    Maybe I'm not understanding, so please do your own homework.
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    @Tad_M - that was my understanding as well, but also read there were issues with utilizing the adapters as well (more companies than Wheels Mfg make them now). I think I am just going to buy the bike if it's actually available and ride it. I'll deal with wheels later if necessary.

Only reason I would want another set of wheels was to have bigger tires for gravel ready to go, however around here the seasons are pretty distinct (cross is very short and starts when gravel pretty much ends) so I should only have to deal with it twice a year.
    M_WareTad_M
  • Options
    OverBiker_SamOverBiker_Sam Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I have a SCS Tarmac - I just bought the alternate (read: normal) hanger from my Spec dealer, and swapped out the SCS one. No problems running non-SCS wheels after that.
    RashTad_M
    Cheers,
    -Sam

• Options
    RashRash Member
    edited November 2018
    @OverBiker_Sam I believe that solution works for non-through axle road bikes, not for carbon through axle frames. The issue I am dealing with is specific to only the the 2016 Carbon Crux, Carbon Diverge (2015, 2016, 2017) and Carbon Roubaix (2015, 2016, 2017).

Spec does make an alternative hanger for my bike to allow you to run standard 12x135 through axle wheels, however no one really makes them. In addition, the dish would be off and it's not self-centering so mounting wheels is slightly more annoying.

I've already picked up the bike (yeah!) and I'm just going to slap some all around gravel tires that will work for the occasional CX race and call it good. If I happen to find a pair of lightly used stock Axis 4.0 12x130 wheels I will snatch them up and have a more dedicated set of CX tires ready to go.
    Granpa Chook
  • Options
    OverBiker_SamOverBiker_Sam Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @Rash - Ah. My Tarmac is a QR model, not a TA model.
    Cheers,
    -Sam

• Options
    Have fun on it @Rash
    Rash
  • Options
    @Granpa Chook Took her out for a a quick 30 minute spin at the local CX track (in the dark). It's scary responsive and quick compared to running that course on my full suspension 29er. Will take some getting used to for sure.

Think I may have found a problem though that ultimately may result in this bike not working out for me - my monster feet hit the front tire in tight turns. On more than one occasion I had to coast rather than pedal through the turns as a result. For Gravel this wouldn't be that big of a deal, although with larger tires the issue itself will be worse, but for a CX course it's problematic. I am using my monster Shimano mountain bike shoes - perhaps a sleeker shoe would help. I'll keep riding it for a while and see how much of a problem it actually is - last night it was just some unwanted braking and coasting through turns I would otherwise pedal through.
    Granpa Chook
  • Options
    Is it a small frame? You could try moving your cleats to be more midfoot position, arguably better anyway. I think most cx bikes have toe overlap but it’s not an issue when racing, partly why they are so agile.
  • Options
    It's a 58 - I typically ride a 60-61. I wanted the smaller frame because I like the shorter reach. Had the same problem with a borrowed Specialized road bike when I was in CA this past summer. I am more comfortable with the shorter reach, but just have to watch it on tight turns.

It's a rub going out, but coming back in I simply can't get the wheel straight unless I unclip or pedal out of the way.

I'll see if I can move the cleats at all, however I actually would have to move them further to the front of my foot from my current midfoot position to get more room for my toes.
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    edited November 2018
    Get a fork with more rake. It'll slow down the handling a little bit, and decrease toe overlap. But, you know, also cost you a bit of coin. Won't affect reach.

Edit: maybe that won't work. Looks like fork rake is already 50mm.
  • Options
    I knew going in it might be too small - just didn't expect my feet to be the limiter. Oh well, live and learn - should be easy to unload.

I did push my cleats all the way to the front of the shoe and now can clear the 32's, however I wouldn't be able use any bigger tires and can't imagine doing a long ride on my toes like that. Should work fine for tomorrow's sub 20 degree CX race then I will look to probably unload in and hope for another great deal to fall in my lap.

It was fun being part of the cool gravel/cx scene for 5 days!
  • Options
    I was thinking that if you are on a really small frame it would happen more but you aren’t, just a small frame for your size. That may fix it but it may not. What is your road bike frame reach like?
  • Options

61 (XL) Fuji Roubaix ACR 3.0
    https://archive.fujibikes.com/2010/Fuji/roubaix-acr-30

• Options
    New Shoes - 700 x 37C WTB Riddlers.

Didn't put it in the BAT thread because 1) the bike would score poorly right now and 2) my Minivan is too damn sexy to be a wall.

M_WareTad_MGranpa Chook
  • Options
    I'm late to this Crux party. Bummer about your shoe overlap issue. I have a 2015 Crux Expert that served me really well through my first 1.5 years of gravel before I built up a Salsa Cutthroat. I'm in the process of converting the Crux to single speed now, just for extra masochism.
    Granpa ChookM_WareRash
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    I think the toe overlap is only an issue in very tight, very slow corners - not something that will happen in gravel so should be fine. 90% of the pro's and serious road racers would have this same issue since they all size down so much on their frames. For CX I can just ride with the cleat modifications I ran this past race and should be ok for the most part.

I'll keep looking for another great deal on a larger frame and continue to ride this one. I have a line of people ready to take it off my hands for the same price I paid for it should I find another bike.

@A_drizzle I borrowed a Cutthroat for Gravel Worlds this year. Very cool bike. The one I was on felt like a giant, rigid 29er (which it was), but it was very comfortable for our leisurely paced effort. I never road it prior to the race so likely would have been even better if actually pre-ridden and set up for me. The fork bottle cages were awesome.
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    I'm selling this bike for $1,700 + shipping. Tires have less than 50 miles on them with new sealant, I will include the original white tires, one of which is pretty bald in the center, however if you put it on the front it will work just fine for most CX races. For this group I will also include an Ultegra front derailleur (shifter is already on serving only as a brake lever) and brand new black 105 compact crank (50/34) 172.5. All you would need is a shift cable and new chain. That would make this a great gravel bike then you could easily swap back to 1x for CX season. This bike was originally 2x but was upgraded to an Ultegra 1x with Wolftooth ring for CX.

This is by far my favorite bike I have ever owned. So quick. However, as documented above, my feet just won't cooperate and I found a bike that should work.

Full disclosure: While I didn't' get this bike for under $1K like I hoped, I am selling it for more than I paid. Quite honestly, it's worth it and I am not monkeying around with a divorce like the guy who was fire selling it when I bought it. I also have about $100 in new tires and sealant and am throwing in a brand new, in the box crank and front derailleur (not new) with a back up set of used CX tires.

Before I list it at large, if anyone here is interested let me know.

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/SearchListingDetail.aspx?id=3062421

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch