frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Muskoka 70.3 Eh?

slickfins_Ryanslickfins_Ryan Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
Has anyone raced Muskoka 70.3? I just signed up for it for next year! I’m very excited to get back into exercise competitions. Anyone else planning to race this?

Any suggestions on places to stay?

Kind of wish I was Canadian. Sorry.

Aaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoCraig_DMartin

Comments

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

Has anyone raced Muskoka 70.3? I just signed up for it for next year! I’m very excited to get back into exercise competitions. Anyone else planning to race this?

This would be a great Canada team event!
    slickfins_RyanCraig_DMartinMatt
    #KOAT
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited October 2018

Before indexed shifting, when I was less terrible at triathlons, the 2-55-15 race which basically used this course was my favourite race in the world.

Try to find a cottage to rent on Airbnb or a house in town, especially if there is a chance other people are coming up. The hotels in Huntsville are of the motel/Holiday Inn Express variety, and inventory is limited. Deerhurst is nice, but a few minutes up the road and probably expensive that weekend. Be careful about choosing a hotel from Expedia or something. Given the limited inventory in Huntsville, they may send you out quite a ways from town. You are ok in Dwight or Dorset, and I guess Bracebridge. You are looking at a 30-45 minute drive in those cases. Baysville would normally be ok as well but I'm not sure what they do about road closures since that's the bike turnaround.

Maybe one of the T-Dot roosters can hook us up with a friend's cottage. That would be the best solution.
    Aaron WebsteyMattslickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    Did they change the bike/run course the last few years? Is it still the hard course or did they Ironman-ify it?
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited October 2018

Did they change the bike/run course the last few years? Is it still the hard course or did they Ironman-ify it?

Due to construction, they changed the bike course last year to take out Britannia Rd, the descent down Dwight Beach Road (which even I will acknowledge was too sketchy to have in a race with this many athletes), the 35 to Dorset (which was open to traffic during the race, I believe), the steep climb out of Dorset, and part of the 117. It's now an out-and back through Baysville. They still have a good chunk of the 117, which is a rolling big-ring cruise. It will still be a tough course, but the big stings on the bike (Britannia and Dorset) are gone. The 117 is to people prone to overbiking what a clown offering candy is to a child with a sweet tooth. A trap.

For anyone heading up there to train, I recommend riding into Dorset then riding out and back on Kawagama Lake Road for a few extra miles/vertical feet.
    Aaron WebsteyGranpa Chook
  • Options
    slickfins_Ryanslickfins_Ryan Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Also, team beer mile that week in Muskoka? Yeah!!??
    Aaron Webstey

Kind of wish I was Canadian. Sorry.

• Options
    1_Hot_Pretzel1_Hot_Pretzel Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Excited to join you @slickfins_Ryan at Muskoka! I think we’re going to try to bring Pretzel.
    Aaron WebsteyM_WareCraig_Dslickfins_Ryan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch