frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

What tech-type stuff do want to learn about? (Asking for your help)

gregkgregk Member
Howdy ya'll! If you haven't seen my little intro to the Roost, you can find that HERE. I appreciate everyone's warm welcome so far, and I was hoping I could enlist your help a little bit - and that I can help you out in return.

In short - I need your ideas. What type of triathlon-related and tech-related content do you want to read about? What are you curious about? What's missing out there? While I always keep a queue going, sometimes my list runs short, or certain articles/stories are stuck because I'm waiting for information or responses from people... or the idea just needs to incubate longer.

In general, I try to give people real take-homes and practical advice. If I can't add some sort of value, I don't write about it. I do some stand-alone product reviews from time to time, but less these days now that a lot of companies are writing their own "articles" and "reviews" via their own blogs and social media. Maybe nobody likes me anymore or wants my opinion on their product. Here's my stuff on Slowtwitch, and here's what's on my blog... if you want to get an idea of my writing style/flavor.

Any/all of this could end up as a blog, podcast, or article on ST. Thank you!

The Dude at Minimal Multisport Podcast, Blog, and YouTube.
MY PATREON!
ellsworth53t

Comments

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Ideas for future articles:
    -Allan keys - the definitive shootout
    -LIONEL SANDERS - THE TECH CHOICES THAT WILL BRING HIM KONA GLORY IN 2019

And more seriously:
    -Direct to consumer versus Lbs purchase - a comparison, where you buy two bikes simultaneously and compare the experience.
    - fake frame, wheels and helmets compared to the real thing.
    gregkAaron WebsteyrangamelTad_MJohns622
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Dear @gregk,

One time listener, first time caller. Why does my Garmin 735xt sometimes lose count of my laps? Same pool, same wrist, same disorganized stroke. Sometimes it overcounts, counts 1/2 lap, or undercounts. 25M pool, avg swim = 20 to 30 laps, generally without stopping (I use a snorkel).

Thanks!
    gregkCraig_D
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Why does my wetsuit keep getting tighter each season?
    M_WaregregkMattHMkrplunkitAaron WebsteyCraig_DMartinkjrunninmaggierurangamelJennifer Postslickfins_RyanTad_MStruangJohns622Robert RankinJames Langesimonsen77GrantInSLC
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @bbculp mine too. Much like my floorboards, the rubber doesn't like the constant temperature changes between summer and winter here. With each heat cycle, the rubber doesn't stretch as much as before. Thus, it feels smaller since there's less stretch. Science, bro.
    bbculpJennifer PostTad_MgregkJohns622
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Dear Greg,
    If you need someone to start a website for you and then run it into the ground, I have a contact. The community could use 8-12 months of sometimes great, generally mediocre multisport content and satire that gradually peters out with a whimper.

Sincerely,
    W
    MartinkjrunninmaggieruMattbbculpJennifer PostTad_MgregkJames LangeGrantInSLCpetePevashishDaul
    #KOAT
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM
    Matt said:

Why does it hurt when I pee?

Your seat is too low

MattJennifer PostAaron WebsteyTad_Mgregksimonsen77Brew_Tri
  • Options
    I actually read your gravel bike build article a while ago as I am planning on doing something similar this winter. Just watched your videos too. I’ve gone quite far down the internet rabbit hole doing research and not taking any damn action, mostly because my budget is quite low.

Have you taken the surly climbing much? How does it compare to other gravel steel frames you’ve ridden? Have you ridden the cross check?

M_WareAaron WebsteyTad_Mgregk
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    M_Ware said:

Dear @gregk,

One time listener, first time caller. Why does my Garmin 735xt sometimes lose count of my laps? Same pool, same wrist, same disorganized stroke. Sometimes it overcounts, counts 1/2 lap, or undercounts. 25M pool, avg swim = 20 to 30 laps, generally without stopping (I use a snorkel).

Thanks!

The half lap thing is weird but over/undercounting laps has to do with change in speed (or lack of). If you just turn at the wall and swim away without a bit of a push, the lack of acceleration can cause your lap to be missed. Similarly a mid-lane sudden acceleration to pass that annoying breaststroker gets you extra credit. Sometimes 2 extra laps if you add a really forceful kick once you’ve moved in front of them.

M_WareAaron WebsteyTad_MCraig_D

• Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member

Dear Greg,
    If you need someone to start a website for you and then run it into the ground, I have a contact. The community could use 8-12 months of sometimes great, generally mediocre multisport content and satire that gradually peters out with a whimper.

Sincerely,
    W

Dear Greg,

You should start a print magazine. Trust me, now is the time!
    Jennifer PostAaron WebsteyTad_MCraig_DgregkJohns622
  • Options
    slickfins_Ryanslickfins_Ryan Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Matt said:

Why does it hurt when I pee?

Because it’s too easy to get into too much trouble in Montreal.
    Aaron WebsteyTad_MMattsimonsen77

Kind of wish I was Canadian. Sorry.

• Options
    slickfins_Ryanslickfins_Ryan Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I would like to know when saddles with built in massage / warming features are coming out. I would like one of those. Especially for those long rides.
    Aaron WebsteyTad_MgregkJohns622

Kind of wish I was Canadian. Sorry.

• Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    kjrunnin said:

M_Ware said:

Dear @gregk,

Thanks!

The half lap thing is weird but over/undercounting laps has to do with change in speed (or lack of). If you just turn at the wall and swim away without a bit of a push, the lack of acceleration can cause your lap to be missed. Similarly a mid-lane sudden acceleration to pass that annoying breaststroker gets you extra credit. Sometimes 2 extra laps if you add a really forceful kick once you’ve moved in front of them.

KJRainmaker.

Craig_DAaron WebsteyM_WarekjrunninMartinJennifer Postslickfins_RyanMattJohns622Tad_Msimonsen77maggieru
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    edited October 2018
    @Granpa Chook , I love my Soma Double Cross Disc. Regarding steel for climbing.... I find it climbs in proportion to my current fitness. (I can provide an intense data analysis if required - I'm logging the low watts/kg data points now).
    gregkGranpa Chook
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    gregkgregk Member
    edited October 2018

I actually read your gravel bike build article a while ago as I am planning on doing something similar this winter. Just watched your videos too. I’ve gone quite far down the internet rabbit hole doing research and not taking any damn action, mostly because my budget is quite low.

Have you taken the surly climbing much? How does it compare to other gravel steel frames you’ve ridden? Have you ridden the cross check?

@Granpa Chook , I haven't been "climbing" on the Surly, because I live in Florida and we have almost nothing that qualifies as a climb. I have ridden the Cross Check a little bit, and several other gravel bikes.

The main difference with the Surly is that it has more of a road geometry (i.e. quicker steering). That's why they're calling it "Road Plus". I really like how it rides/steers/handles, and it feels like a smooth-riding road bike that just happens to fit giant tires. It's NOT light, especially with the MTB tires for my off-road video. Running it tubeless would cut some weight, if you want to go to the trouble.

In general, I enjoy the bike. My beefs are outlined in the articles - rear thru axles suck for use on a trainer (but you can use QR wheels in the bike too), and I don't like flat mount disc brakes very much due to the fact that you have very limited brake choices in mechanical disc brakes. The Shimano brakes I have work pretty well when they're set up perfect - it's just a lot of work to get them perfect.

If I was to recommend a gravel bike to a minimalist-type person, it'd be the Cross Check with some v-brakes (made for a road brake lever). SUPER easy ownership experience, good price, fun bike.
    Granpa Chook
    MY PATREON!
  • Options
    M_Ware said:

Dear @gregk,

Thanks!

@M_Ware, I feel your pain. But I also should have mentioned that I generally avoid articles about electronics, because there is no way in hell I can compete with DC Rainmaker. At least on Slowtwitch, I've definitely gotten comments about how my stuff can't compare. It's not that I can't write about it, I just am not an expert - at least compared to other cycling stuff.

But - it could be something I use for my blog or podcast. I'm thinking about opening up a higher Patreon tier, too, where maybe I do things like answer listener questions. It's like a Sam Harris AMA, but for triathlon, and I don't speak nearly as well as Sam.
    M_Ware
    MY PATREON!
  • Options
    bbculp said:

Dear Greg,

Sincerely,
    W

Dear Greg,

You should start a print magazine. Trust me, now is the time!
    @bbculp Great idea!!! If you ask some of our past employers, they would 100% agree. Print magazines and cable television are the future!
    Aaron Websteybbculp
    MY PATREON!
  • Options
    Granpa ChookGranpa Chook Member
    edited October 2018
    @gregk thanks for your thoughts. I’m not sure about v brakes for the bike I am trying to create though, I think I will need more mud, tire and fender clearance than they allow. Edit: nvm that, I was confusing v brakes with road brakes.

@Tad_M the double cross was on my tentative list as well.
  • Options

@gregk thanks for your thoughts. I’m not sure about v brakes for the bike I am trying to create though, I think I will need more mud, tire and fender clearance than they allow. Edit: nvm that, I was confusing v brakes with road brakes.

@Tad_M the double cross was on my tentative list as well.

Yeah, with V brakes, it shouldn't hurt your tire or fender clearance, outside of having GIANT size tires or fenders. The Cross Check is known for being one of the earliest cyclocross bikes to have really huge tire clearance... I think you can get away with at least 42mm.

The thing that V-brakes don't have is a ton of clearance between the brake pads and rim. This is a potential problem if you're riding in super thick mud (i.e. mud packs up around the brake pads). But if the mud is that bad, I've also had problems with disc brake bikes... the mud doesn't pack up around the brakes, but it does still pack up around the fork and chainstays (even to the point where the wheel won't turn at all). Point is: if it's THAT muddy, there are no types of brakes that will help you.

The knock on the Cross Check is that it's fairly heavy with the steel frame/fork. Decent wheels and a single chainring drivetrain are probably the cheapest solutions.
    Granpa Chook
    MY PATREON!
  • Options
    Here's what I ended up writing this week: https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Past_and_Future_of_Carbon_Fiber_7062.html

It's more beginner-intermediate focused (which I think the cycling world needs more of in general... taking something complex and explaining it with a minimum amount of jargon).

So yeah... bikes. Ride 'em!
    M_WareCraig_DAaron Webstey
    MY PATREON!
  • Options
    gregk said:

Here's what I ended up writing this week: https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Past_and_Future_of_Carbon_Fiber_7062.html

It's more beginner-intermediate focused (which I think the cycling world needs more of in general... taking something complex and explaining it with a minimum amount of jargon).

So yeah... bikes. Ride 'em!

Here's part 2 of that article series. https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Past_and_Future_of_Carbon_-_Part_2_7076.html

If any of ya'll have ideas for stories, tech questions, etc - please feel free to shoot them my way any time, whether in this thread or in a private message. I'm always looking for ideas for blogs/podcasts/etc.

Or, if you just wanna talk some shit, you can call me at 1-213-373-4253.
    Tad_MwchevronJohns622MattMark_after_Darkslickfins_Ryan
    MY PATREON!
  • Options
    Curious what you think of the Gates Carbon Drive and if it will catch on more? I see some sscx-ers having it around here.
    gregk
  • Options
    gregkgregk Member
    edited November 2018

Curious what you think of the Gates Carbon Drive and if it will catch on more? I see some sscx-ers having it around here.

Cool - thanks @Granpa Chook. I honestly don't have much experience with it. But I really like the concept of no maintenance, and it being super quiet. I think the challenges are that the frame has to be made for it (there has to be a split at the chainstays to let the drive belt in), and just the fact that it's different. I've just never gotten one due to cost, and the fact that there's very little of it in the triathlon world (which I tend to get cornered into, even though I've worked for companies that make MTB equipment, etc) - but my association with ST has made me into a tri dude as far as the industry is concerned.
    Granpa ChookAaron Webstey
    MY PATREON!
  • Options
    Do you think using carbon as a drivechain material is potentially better?
  • Options

Do you think using carbon as a drivechain material is potentially better?

@Granpa Chook I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Like, making what we now know as a metal chain out of carbon? For use on a multi-speed drivetrain?
    MY PATREON!
  • Options
    Yeah basically. They did the single speed carbon drive with internally geared hub, why not just make it all out of carbon? Do you consider it like you do carbon chainrings?
  • Options
    @Granpa Chook Single speed belt drive with carbon "cogs" (I'm not sure what they call them on the belt drive systems) should make sense in theory. More sense than carbon chainrings on a traditional chain-driven drivetrain. Belt drives don't create as much punishment as a metal chain does, so I'd have to think that you could make the cogs out of carbon with less downside. But again - I don't have a ton of experience with it. If I was going to get a belt drive bike, I'd probably just try to keep it as low-maintenance as possible - you're already saving a ton of weight anyhow just by going single speed.

Carbon chainrings are a waste of time for 99.9% of people, and you hardly see them anyhow. Just in general, carbon fiber is a bad choice for applications that have to deal with a lot of impact or friction. Sure, they use it for race cars (which crash a lot) - but those big teams have crazy budgets. For most cyclists, and what you're looking to get out of cycling (i.e. enjoyment, exercise, etc) - durability is paramount.
    Granpa Chook
    MY PATREON!
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    Basibally, a carbon crank is fine, but not for the teeth of the chainring.
    gregk
  • Options
    gregk said:

In general, I enjoy the bike. My beefs are outlined in the articles - rear thru axles suck for use on a trainer (but you can use QR wheels in the bike too), and I don't like flat mount disc brakes very much due to the fact that you have very limited brake choices in mechanical disc brakes. The Shimano brakes I have work pretty well when they're set up perfect - it's just a lot of work to get them perfect.

If I was to recommend a gravel bike to a minimalist-type person, it'd be the Cross Check with some v-brakes (made for a road brake lever). SUPER easy ownership experience, good price, fun bike.
    I’m curious what you mean about rear thru axles sucking for us on the trainer? I recently upgraded to a 2019 Salsa Warbird with thru axles (first time I’ve really had a bike with them) and once I found the correct axle to use on the trainer (wheel on) I found it doesn’t take me any longer than swapping out the quick release wheel on my old CX bike to mount a trainer wheel. Okay, maybe a few seconds longer, but less than a minute.
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    In industrial settings belt drive systems typically need more regular maintenance than chain drives. Haven’t seen one on a bike to be honest to really say for sure. However I can’t see it being as efficient as a chain drive system. Power transfer in chains is considered the gold standard in cogged mechanical systems. I’d be curious to see a comparison of FTP at the crank and at the wheel.
    Granpa Chook
    Canadian Division

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch