frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

What's pretty common where you're from, but completely unknown to people not from there?

Comments

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Martin said:

Like vegemite, scotch, and my sense of humour, it's an acquired taste. Many never learn to appreciate such things. :)

I like all of those things. And candlepin.
    This is like your high school's head cheerleader telling you "yeah, I always had a crush on you".
    MartinKenElPescadoPelado
    #KOAT
  • Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    jamoozle said:

Speaking of 'down at the legion', where I'm from it's pronounced "downt the legion".

@AaronWebstey @doyoueventribro

Until recently, I was the Provincial Operations Manager for the Legion in BC. It was.... frustrating. Meat darts aren't a thing out here, but meat draws are big business. Meat raffles, effectively. So dumb.

Nova Scotia stuff I remember from growing up... just food, really:
    Halifax donairs
    Cape Breton Brew
    White pudding
    Malt vinegar everywhere
    Cape Breton Bru is one of the reasons we have such a high rate of type 2 diabetes.

I didnt have a donair until i was 27, and not sure what this malt vinegar or white pudding stuff is. Mainlanders are fucked, bi.

I'm more from the balogna and curds part of nova scotia.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    edited November 2016

Kuch said:

Old Bay on EVERYTHING
    and
    Duckpin Bowling
    That's all I got right now......

what advantage does duckpin bowling have over any other type of bowling? It seems like a subset of bowling that just isn't needed.

+1 on what @Kuch said,

I'd add Scrapple. I'm from DC, but the eastern Pennsylvania folks know it well. Cooked properly, it's the best breakfast 'food' known to man!!!! I can't source the exact stuff here in Michigan, but every culture has their version of meat/meal/glop product - yet absolutely none are as perfect as scrapple. In my opinion, somehow a Dutch immigrant butcher married the perfect Carolina sausage maker way back when. Seemed to really be a favorite on the menu in the Virginia breakfast joints south to the coast too. Be sure to tell your guests exactly what it's made of, and they'll let you enjoy every piece yourself!!!!!!
    Aaron Websteyyournotunique
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    @Tad_Machrowicz scrapple is easy. Just cook your breakfast like normal on a griddle, then scrape the leftovers into that gutter in the front of the griddle stove. Leave there to allow to heat up, and voila, scrapple.
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaron WebsteyyournotuniqueTad_M
  • Options
    We have these guys, and not just in the zoo:

M_WareAaron WebsteyMartinsimonsen77ItsShugTad_Mkjrunninespej09MamaCheetahStruang

• Options
    ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    HSeeley14 said:

ItsShug said:

Coyote hunting with greyhounds is pretty big around here.

Mudruns. Large pit of mud and people bring out whatever vehicles and see who can make it through.

Tractor pulls

Various competitive shooting clubs

Also

We call it "Pop" here not "soda"

Unsure exactly where you live @ItsShug, but do you happen to know what "noodling" is? I was schooled in this redneck fishing method while watching a stand up comedian. It sounds fucking awesome and I wish to see it live one day.

Yea it's actually illegal in the state of Kansas but people still do it all the time. I actually know a guy from Missouri that was found murdered and people think it was from noodling in some one else's hole. Them guys don't mess around with that stuff
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug
  • Options
    Elaine KElaine K Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    ItsShug said:

people think it was from noodling in some one else's hole.

Heh.

Aaron WebsteyItsShugMattmbrekk44simonsen77Robert RankinKenElPescadoPeladoCraig_DDawnCyournotuniqueHensatcIanL
    Tucson, AZ
  • Options
    I'm surprised I haven't backpfeifengesichted a bunch of @MamaCheetah posts so far. How did it happen for the first time in this thread?
    MamaCheetah
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Elaine K said:

ItsShug said:

people think it was from noodling in some one else's hole.

Heh.

#TWHS
    KenElPescadoPelado
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options

Rash said:

A very popular meal in Nebraska is chili and cinnamon rolls. It's even served in the schools. I had never heard of that combination before but have to admit they are onto something.

That sounds kind of like the abomination that is Cincinnati "chili" (skyline chili). Basically meat sauce with cinnamon on spaghetti noodles.

They aren't actually mixed together though. You just eat the cinnamon rolls along with the Chili. Cincinnati takes the win for disgusting with that dish.
    Martin
  • Options
    ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    edited November 2016
    Aaron WebsteyMamaCheetah
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug
  • Options
    A dunks on every corner.(dunkin donuts to the lay person)
    assholes who cant pronounce R's correctly. or should i say Massholes, which theyre proud of.
    Whitey Bulger
    Tad_MAaron WebsteyjakesaundersKenElPescadoPeladoslickfins_Ryan

village idiot

• Options
    espej09espej09 Member
    edited November 2016
    @Kuch I went to school in Maryland, Salisbury actually...dont forget the Eastern Shore....or OCMD...thats nothing like anything else. or senior week... :D
    Kuch

village idiot

• Options
    @idking90 Oh yes, very familiar with jughandles, however I choose to ignore them and just turn left, because Nascar.
    GrantInSLCM_Ware

• Options
    KuchKuch Member, POTM
    espej09 said:

@Kuch I went to school in Maryland, Salisbury actually...dont forget the Eastern Shore....or OCMD...thats nothing like anything else. or senior week... :D

@espej09 I forgot that! Yes, the Eastern Shore of MD is a special place for many reasons..lol
    I lived in OCMD for two summers and worked security at Seacrets with a bunch of the football players from Salisbury. Now for those who have never heard of, or been to that place.....I have no idea how to describe the things I have seen go down there!
    espej09idking90HMkrplunkit
    BSquad
    Mid-Atlantic Captain
  • Options
    Kuch said:

espej09 said:

@espej09 I forgot that! Yes, the Eastern Shore of MD is a special place for many reasons..lol
    I lived in OCMD for two summers and worked security at Seacrets with a bunch of the football players from Salisbury. Now for those who have never heard of, or been to that place.....I have no idea how to describe the things I have seen go down there!
    I worked at Shenaningens on 4th and board for a summer! CLASSIC!

KuchHMkrplunkit

village idiot

• Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    edited November 2016
    The Eastern Shore: the land of chicken farms, fireworks stands, and flea markets. Plus the occasional Hardee's.
    Fresh in my mind as I drove between my house in Va Beach and Philly and then NJ the past two weekends.
    Kuch
  • Options
    KuchKuch Member, POTM
    espej09 said:

Kuch said:

espej09 said:

Freakin Shenaningens! I've had a few beers there for sure. Man I miss those summers down in OC, so much fun.
    Funny story, this past summer I went on a long ride from Bethany/Dewey down through OC, with two other people, one being Rachel Mcbride. We ended up hitting like every light on Coastal Highway and I was just pointing out a different bar each time and telling them ridiculous stories. I think she was partially entertained and partially wondering how the hell she ended up in this town.
    espej09Aaron WebsteyMartin
    BSquad
    Mid-Atlantic Captain
  • Options
    KuchKuch Member, POTM
    idking90 said:

The Eastern Shore: the land of chicken farms, fireworks stands, and flea markets. Plus the occasional Hardee's.
    Fresh in my mind as I drove between my house in Va Beach and Philly and then NJ the past two weekends.

This is 100% accurate! 95% of the Eastern Shore could be mistaken for some mid-west, one-stop light town, and then you have Ocean City, which is like a horrible Frat Party on steroids, spread across 3 miles.
    idking90
    BSquad
    Mid-Atlantic Captain
  • Options
    MamaCheetahMamaCheetah Member, POTM
    dhr said:

I'm surprised I haven't backpfeifengesichted a bunch of @MamaCheetah posts so far. How did it happen for the first time in this thread?

I got NINE so far ..... not too shabby !!
    MattdhrAaron Websteybalsdorf
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    MamaCheetahMamaCheetah Member, POTM
    Matt said:

10 - now you get a badge!

Stalin ! F Yeah !
    M_WareAaron WebsteybalsdorfDawnCTad_M
  • Options
    ellsworth53tellsworth53t Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    We drink pop.
    dhrM_WareAaron WebsteyMamaCheetahMartinHMkrplunkit
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    If @MamaCheetah wasn't already my #newfavourite , she is now.
    MamaCheetahTad_M
    #KOAT
  • Options
    @MamaCheetah I have faith you can get Kim Jong Il.
    Aaron WebsteyMamaCheetahGrantInSLCTad_M
  • Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    espej09 said:

Can't believe I'm the only one to think of this.

M_WareKuchMartinidking90Tad_MGrantInSLC
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    So on Lucy Charles' Kona interview with Bob Babbitt, she used a British colloquialism that I was previously unfamiliar with. "Touch wood" is apparently synonymous with "knock on wood" for those of us in the States. And if you're in Canada, it's "spend 30 seconds in @AaronWebstey's office".
    Aaron WebsteyMartinHMkrplunkitMattTad_Mdoyoueventribroidking90maggieru
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    HMkrplunkitHMkrplunkit Member
    edited October 2018
    Let me jump on the Maryland train. And this is Southern Maryland, so almost directly across the Chesapeake from Ocean City. I didn't grow up in the god awful place but living here I have discovered that they have

Amish Buggies with electric tail lights = people can't drive worth shit, so the religions must be broken
    10 oz Budweiser = WTF?
    Nasty Old Bay on everything = ew
    Shrimp Marconi salad = barf
    Stuffed Ham = extra barf
    SMIBs = ∞ barf (This is a source of pride. I've seen bumper stickers.) I'll give you this acronym : Southern Maryland Inbred
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaron WebsteyTad_Midking90
    HMKP
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Cream cheese on hot dogs known as “Seattle Dog.” Usually only eaten during or after heavy drinking.
    KenElPescadoPeladodoyoueventribro
  • Options
    StruangStruang Member, POTM
    edited October 2018
    1) Chips are pieces of potatoes at least 1cm a side deep fried, Fries are about 25mm a side.
    2) Crisps are slices of potatoes deep fried!
    3) Pies have pastry all round, bottom, sides and top, anything else is a dish served with pastry!
    4) You may live in Northern England, there is still no need to put your pie in a bam!
    5) Large bread rolls suitable for filling with bacon or sausages will be called diffrent terms as per your geographic location in the UK. Bam in North, Bap in South! Deal with it, there are bigger issues for us to argue about
    6) Fried fruit cake has a place in your breakfast, it's called dumpling when you want to order it.
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaron Webstey

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch