frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

2018 Super League Triathlon

Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
I am getting excited for the Super League Championships this weekend. I am a sucker for good marketing and love stuff like this to build the hype.

Granpa ChookAaron WebsteyMartinbbculpKenElPescadoPelado

Comments

• Options
    All I can concentrate on is the Harry Potter bus behind these two dudes who I don't recognize.
    Aaron WebsteyMartinbbculpM_WareCraig_Dslickfins_RyanKenElPescadoPeladoTad_M
    HMKP
  • Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited September 2018
    In 2010, I was working for ITU and my boss had the grand idea of putting the 20 best athletes on a bus like that so we could drive them around London and take pictures/video at some of the popular tourist spots around town, like Westminster and that big ass clock.

It was the day before the WTS race, and we told the athletes it would take no more than an hour. It turns out there's traffic in downtown London, so it ended up taking a little more than four hours. Needless to say the athletes were furious, and about three hours in, Nicola and Daniela about ripped my head off as I was trying to get them to pose in front of a phone booth. I paid for a cab for them to get back to their hotel and have been terrified of both of them ever since (even though they are both very nice people).

I remember Gómez and Snowsill being the only two athletes who weren't losing their minds. They were just having a laugh at the back of the bus while everyone else was yelling at a different member of the ITU media team.

Also, I'd love to see an real fight between Rich and Kristian. They seem like the only two guys in triathlon who could actually fight.
    M_WareGranpa ChookMattAaron WebsteykjrunninJames Lange
  • Options
    HMkrplunkitHMkrplunkit Member
    edited September 2018
    @bbculp - you seem popular.... and torturous (edit to add "like you torture people, not that you seem unbearable and terrible)

@Jennifer Post - I hope that you enjoy watching the race that this post is about
    bbculpAaron Webstey
    HMKP
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    2010 ITU London races were won by Javiez Gomez and Paula FIndlay.
    bbculpAaron WebsteyJames Lange
  • Options
    Granpa ChookGranpa Chook Member
    edited September 2018
    I'm excited about Super League as well. Aside from a few of the Penticton invites, who will get destroyed in this format, it is a great field.

Alistair Brownlee on the commentary was fantastic last time, hopefully they get someone good to replace him.

Also I remember that tour bus video being oddly placed, probably because everyone was miserable! "You didn't notice it, but your brain did" - RLM
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    @HMkrplunkit I am far from popular and most definitely torturous. You seem like you might enjoy this other triathlon forum.

@Matt That was in the middle of Findlay's unbelievable stretch. Everyone was ready to give her the 2012 gold medal.

That was also the day A. Brownlee went unconscious at the finish. One of the scariest things I've ever seen. His eyes rolled back like my dog's do when he's going to sleep.

Sorry @Jennifer Post - back to Super League. I'll take Murray for the win. He seems built for this style of racing, which sounds more painful than any other format.
    MattAaron Webstey
  • Options
    slickfins_Ryanslickfins_Ryan Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I’d like to see Nicola and Daniela fight.
    Jennifer PostAaron WebsteyMartinTad_M

Kind of wish I was Canadian. Sorry.

• Options
    bbculp said:

Also, I'd love to see an real fight between Rich and Kristian. They seem like the only two guys in triathlon who could actually fight.

So true. Have you ever watched Bridget Jones' Diary with the fight scenes between Hugh Grant and Colin Firth? I imagine that's how most triathletes would fight.

Aaron WebsteykjrunninMartinTad_MKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options

@bbculp - you seem popular.... and torturous (edit to add "like you torture people, not that you seem unbearable and terrible)

@Jennifer Post - I hope that you enjoy watching the race that this post is about

Thanks! It's a great series with great athletes. You should watch too if you watch long course triathlon. You'll see the athletes that will step down to long course in about 3-6 years when they are too slow to continue racing short course.
    Aaron WebsteyMartinTad_M
  • Options
    bbculp said:

Sorry @Jennifer Post - back to Super League. I'll take Murray for the win. He seems built for this style of racing, which sounds more painful than any other format.

This format definitely suits Murray. He won the first year and finished 3rd last year behind Blummenfelt and J. Brownlee. I have a hard time picking a winner between Blummenfelt, J. Brownlee, Murray, Luis, and Birtwhistle. But, I think I'll go with Blummenfelt. Defending champ and he is tired of coming so close to the top of the podium. One of his posts after Beijing last weekend was 'second again.'

On the women's side, I always root for K. Zaferes. Would like to see Summer Cook do well after a tough season (she finished 3rd last year so it's a possibility). I think Sophie Coldwell is the darkhorse pick. Young and fast and racing in front of a UK crowd should help.

I really hope the women don't have to wear the horrible race kits from last year. Seemed kind of sexist and uncomfortable. Or, if they do, I hope the men have kits equally sexist and uncomfortable. #fairplay
    M_WareAaron WebsteyGranpa Chookslickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    bbculp said:

Nicola and Daniela about ripped my head off as I was trying to get them to pose in front of a phone booth.

roid rage
    bbculpJennifer PostTad_MKenElPescadoPeladoslickfins_Ryan
  • Options

Nicola would murder her.

I'd like to see Starky fight the entire men's podium in Kona. With Frodo out, I feel like he could take all 3 at once, whoever they end up being.
    Aaron Websteyslickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    Looks like the women will be wearing normal race kits and not the crazy kits like last year. Hoping the men also get kits without sleeves.
    Aaron WebsteyM_Ware
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    Nothing warms the heart like the biggest Canadian bank sponsoring a rich-person's event on a Tax Shelter island in the UK.
    MartinJames LangeJennifer PostM_WarebbculpHMkrplunkitTad_MGranpa ChookSteve HalewskiMaddie_McKKenElPescadoPeladoslickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    edited September 2018
    bbculp said:

Nicola would murder her.

I'd like to see Starky fight the entire men's podium in Kona. With Frodo out, I feel like he could take all 3 at once, whoever they end up being.
    Well, then I'd pay per view Nicola vs. Conrad Stolz if she is that tough!
    Aaron Websteyslickfins_Ryan
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    @Matt that's how we get the money in triathlon baby! Big bank laundry and billionaire human rights abusers. What's next, Cayman Island House Triathlon?
    M_WareJennifer PostAaron WebsteyMattKenElPescadoPeladoTad_Mslickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    Tad_M said:

bbculp said:

Nicola would murder her.

Well, then I'd pay per view Nicola vs. Conrad Stolz if she is that tough!
    She'd kill Conrad. He's a gentle giant.
    Aaron WebsteyJennifer PostTad_M
  • Options
    OverBiker_SamOverBiker_Sam Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @Jennifer Post - I'm hoping Summer does not get dropped out of the bike pack again this year. It is painful to watch her race some days (e.g. Toronto this year) when she crushes the swim and run, but goes from the lead pack to the back of the chase pack.

She needs to get w/ the team that got Gwen to the next level on the bike, and spend some time in the saddle with a bunch of roadies. With that in her quiver she would crush the field.
    Aaron WebsteyJennifer PostKenElPescadoPelado
    Cheers,
    -Sam

• Options
    @OverBiker_Sam I agree it’s hard to watch Summer drop back from pack to pack. However, she came in third overall at Superleague last year after Zaferes and Spirig. I think the format minimizes her weakness.

As for training group, I think she left Triathlon Squad and was training with Jim Vance before Gold Coast. Not sure if that is a long-term thing. I wonder where she’ll land next year.
  • Options
    @Granpa Chook Just read. A Brownlee is out of competition due to Achilles but will be part of broadcast team. I am sorry for his injury but happy for viewers. I agree with you that he was fantastic last year.
    Granpa ChookM_Ware
  • Options
    @Jennifer Post I was hoping he would drop and be on the commentary. His short course fitness is off anyway so he'd get blown away. Sweet!

Also where did you see that about Summer? I don't think she left Paulo + Triathlon Squad.
  • Options
    @Granpa Chook I could be wrong about Summer and her coaching. I just found it odd that Vance tagged her in a few workout IG stories in Gold Coast. Not sure why she would be at his workouts since Paulo was in Gold Coast. Plus, I started seeing Vance liking her IG posts and no longer seeing Paulo like them. Could be a coincidence but it struck me as odd.

Granpa Chook
  • Options
    So I got BeiN network to be able to watch this. I'm watching the women right now, and there's no commentary. All I hear is the event announcer in the background. Anyone else with this issue?
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
  • Options
    It’s streaming on triathlonlive.tv for free. Commentary (including Duffy) and live timing. A. Brownlee was on earlier and will be back to commentate in the men’s race.
    M_WareTad_M
  • Options
    Thanks @Jennifer Post . Go Katie Go!
    Jennifer Post
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I LOVE Brownlee’s commentary. Men aren’t even to first swim buoy and he comments that someone is swimming “tactically badly”. Hah
    Aaron WebsteyGranpa Chook
  • Options
    So fun to watch Super League. Amazing racing and the production of the broadcast is top notch. Like a real sport. So nice to see a race produced by people who love the sport and appreciate and support the pros.
    Granpa ChookM_WareAaron WebsteyMattJames LangeCraig_D
  • Options
    @Jennifer Post It was great yesterday. I missed it live but I watched the replay on facebook. I love the Enduro going on right now, it's such a tough event, with interesting tactics throughout. It also rewards the really good swimmers moving up on the second and third swims. Zaferes just crushed it today like a badass. I thought the short chute thing was a pretty great innovation as well.

Ali sounded really cold on the docks today! I enjoyed his commentary, he is unafraid to call out people, as you would expect. My favorite was when he was talking about Mislawchuck riding on the hoods around the round-a-bout, calling it "bonkers".
    "Ride the fucking drops" - Paulo
    Jennifer PostAaron Webstey
  • Options
    @Granpa Chook It is fantastic racing. I love the elimations too. Ali Brownlee just makes me laugh. On one hand, he is so amused by Blummenfelt’s fierce competition. He made fun yesterday of how hard he slapped the hands of fans in the chute. On the other hand, he makes fun of his swim technique. I think he has referred to it as both “flapping his arms” and “spinning his arms”.
    Granpa ChookAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Luis vs Schoeman, sprint finish right there this is intense.
    Jennifer PostAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPelado

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch