frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Gold Coast ITU

Zaferes vs Holland will be good. I'm glad to see both Brownlees are there. They will try to breakaway and ruin Mola's party. Mola could run Gatorskins and win the world title. Someone from the breakaway will probably win. This will be some good races, who's watching?

Beaugrand opted to do the u23 despite winning in Hamburg. SPOILERS: Taylor Knibb just rode away from everyone and now has 3 world titles.

http://thetriathlonpreviewshow.libsyn.com/tps-101-wts-gold-coast-and-703-nice
Jennifer PostAaron WebsteyCraig_DJames Lange

Comments

• Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Really impressive race by Knibb.

It was probably a federation decision for Beaugrand to do the U23 race. Lots of federations have funding incentives from their NOC for world titles.
    Granpa ChookJennifer PostM_WareAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Bergere was the favorite in the Men's u23 too and ended up 4th.
    Jennifer Post
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I am watching. I am a fan of so many ITU athletes that it is hard to pick a favorite. For women, I would love to see Katie Z win but would be happy with a handful of others. Same thing for the men’s race. If I have to choose, I will hope for a sweep of the podium by JFT Crew. (Mola, Luis, Birtwhistle)
    Granpa Chook
  • Options

Bergere was the favorite in the Men's u23 too and ended up 4th.

Did you watch the live feed on Triathlonlive.tv/GoldCoast? Best part was seeing Reid’s parents wearing the crazy blonde wigs. I would love to go drink with them.
    Granpa Chook
  • Options
    I didn't catch it live.

Also in the U23, Alex Yee came 10th and ran 30:01. He ran 27:51 (debut) earlier in the year on the track, and 13:34 in July, and ran at the Euro championships. He's been a triathlete and runner for many years now in Leeds. I think he will have to choose soon and I think Jon Brown in the following thread is correct, Triathlon will probably lose him to track & field. Unlike Birtwhistle, another amazing prep runner/triathlete, his swim has a ways to go. It would be great if he stayed though!

https://twitter.com/jon_brown_/status/1040615834966581248
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    I hadn’t been following Yee. Very interesting. After Verzbicas, I can’t help but want a young kid to go the safer route. I am not a mom but am at that age where I swear I automatically think like a mom when I see young people making decisions.
    Aaron WebsteyTad_M
  • Options
    *Spoilers*

Fun watching the race last night. I really thought Katie had it and was really impressed with Holland coming back strong. Wish Katie would have won the championship but Holland definitely earned it.

I wish the front bike group could have stayed away. I hope the men's front group manages to stay away this evening.

I couldn't help but feel for Summer Cook. I know she crashed early in the season but what else is going on? Does she have an injury? She was in front group out of T1 and kept dropping back and back and further back. I know she's always struggled a bit on the bike but to this level was surprising. Way behind into T2. She normally has a strong run and she did make some gains passing people but her run still wasn't even in top 20. I noticed on IG that she is working out with Jim Vance so I assume she left The Triathlon Squad? She did so well at Superleague last year so I hope she does well again this year to end her season on an upswing.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Someone smart, ITU savvy, please dont ST me here.
    I'm in the middle of watching replay now. At the start of the bike, I noticed all the lead pack girls had two bottles on their bikes.
    Am I seeing this right? If so, why two bottles. Never noticed this before.

That much hydration in one hour?
    Or is there a difference in the product inside each so they can decouple hydration rate from nutrition rate?
    Last question: Is there an aero/weight penalty from two bottles vs. one that must be balanced, or is this not so important in the drafting format due to time not pulling?
    Aaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Dear Tad,

I got run over by a bus.

Hope this helps,
    Pev
    Tad_MRash
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I thought both races were awesome. I was so happy to see Katie just go for it because that was what she needed to do to win. I am really impressed that Holland let Katie go, it says a lot for her ability to know her body and follow her own race plan. That's pretty savvy decision making at 3:20/km.

It was great to see Gentle pull out the victory for the home crowd. She did a lot of work on the bike and still had an incredible run. I don't think she'll ever be consistent enough for a series win, but for one-day championships she is always a threat.

All that being said, I can't wait for Duffy to get healthy! It's no fun knowing the best woman is at home on the couch.

The men's race was pretty awesome despite the overall lead being a shoe-in for Mola. Blumenfelt is his own worst enemy. In Montreal he says he could beat Mola over 10km if they started even and in this race he had his chance. But instead he decides to take 2 minute pulls on the front of a 30-man pack, attempt multiple break-away, and then go the last few laps in a 2-man breakaway. You have to love his spirit, but I don't think he'll ever win until he can figure his tactics out.

Luis runs like a gazelle. If he's healthy he can win any race. As a funny aside during the race I thought the mole on his cheek was a tear-drop tattoo, which would have been badass if it was true.

Super happy for Mola. Hard not to like that guy. Also nice to see Murray end his season on a high note and to have Birtwhistle on the overall podium.

And on a Canadian note I was glad that Mislawchuk cracked the top 10 on the day and in the overall series.
    Granpa ChookAaron WebsteyJennifer PostMatt

• Options
    Great races, the runs were exciting battles.

The first buoy was carnage. :'(
  • Options
    @James Lange I love the comment about a teardrop tattoo and Vincent Luis. His chest tattoo is ginormous so I wouldn't be surprised by a teardrop at this point. I totally agree about Blummenfelt too being his own worst enemy. He was in the Norweigan press before Gold Coast promising a Gold medal in Tokyo. Hmmmm.

@Granpa Chook I swear I got seasick watching the rough swim and nearly suffered a panic attack at the buoy carnage. Wow.

My favorite part overall was JFT Crew sweeping the WTS season rankings. Amazed that Filliol coached 4 of the top 10. Filliol answered tons of questions on Instagram story using the Ask Me Anything feature. Some really interesting questions and pretty honest answers even on sensitive questions like what it was like working with the National Federations and why Murray left the squad.
    Granpa ChookAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Granpa ChookGranpa Chook Member
    edited September 2018
    @Jennifer Post Screw instagram but I'm a big fan of Filliol, what did he say about why Murray left??
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    @Granpa Chook Re Murray, I was surprised he answered at all so I replayed because I was trying to see if there was more behind his answer. So, take this with a big grain of salt. Right before he answered a question about Murray, he answered a question about what the most important factor in a coach-athlete relationship was and he said mutual respect and ability to listen to each other. Then, next question was how the top athletes are able to train with each other and he said the athletes learn to always focus on the work to be done and don’t compete. They support and push but don’t compete. Then, the Murray question followed about why he left the squad. Joel said that Murray needed a change. Didn’t blast him but was very short and I took that to mean the environment wasn’t working for him. Given that I sometimes “curate” online chats and Q&A questions in a specific order to tell a marketing story, I couldn’t help but wonder if Joel may have been answering questions in that specific order for a reason. But, as I said, take it with a grain of salt.

After following his Ask Anything story, I am more impressed with him that I was before. One question was about his podcast and if it might return and he said possibly during the off-season. I hope it does.
    Aaron WebsteyM_WareGranpa Chook
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @Jennifer Post thanks for the summary!! Joel is an interesting dude. Wonder if his weird accent will be back in podcast version 2? :)
    Jennifer Post
    #KOAT
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Is there a place to see a list of all the JFT athletes?
    Aaron Webstey

• Options
    @James Lange I haven't found a full list but if you follow TZaferes and Drew Box on Instagram you'll see them all. At least the JFT Crew athletes. The work he does with the Italian athletes is often separate.

These are the ones for sure that I see in many photos/videos.
    Mola, Luis, Birtwhistle, Van Riel, Jelle Geens, KZaferes, Emma Jackson

Up until this season he also coached Murray and Klamer. Drew Box used to race but retired to start coaching with Filliol.

@Granpa Chook @AaronWebstey In case you are interested, these are a few of the other questions and answers I remembered because I found them interesting.

How often do you test lactate?
    --I haven't since 2006

Do you look at power in run training?
    --No

Do you look at HR or power in cycling?
    --power

Do your athletes train with HR?
    --No. RPE.

Junior swimmer looking to do World Cups and need to improve my swim. What do you recommend?
    --Build to 30km over 8 sessions a week

Question about Mario's potential as a runner (don't remember exact wording)
    --Don't know. He trains for his sport which is swim, bike, run.

Who is strongest cyclist on the squad?
    --They are all strong. They train all 3 sports. I can't say who is strongest cyclist. (But, answer was placed on photo of Marten Van Riel. ;)

Who is fastest freestylist?
    --Tommy Zaferes

How long do your athletes have off after season?
    --3 weeks unstructured

Some question about number of recovery days
    --Athletes take active recovery days so they never have a day off

How do you keep your athletes consistent and uninjured?
    --Big focus on conditioning. Less focus on high-intensity training. Athletes train 25-30 hours a week.

How do your athletes taper?
    --All differently. Depends both on mental and physical needs.

Athletes can have problems sleeping. How do you address?
    --Tell them to turn off their devices earlier.

Are you going to start an international development squad?
    --No. My development work is with the Italian federation.

bbculpMattM_WareAaron WebsteyJames LangeGranpa ChookTad_M
  • Options
    @Jennifer Post awesome stuff. Thanks!
    Jennifer PostM_WareAaron Webstey
  • Options
    @James Lange I was just on Filliol’s IG and realized I forgot that Jo Brown and Caroline Routier are JFT Crew too. My friends from the Mighty North might not forgive my oversight of Jo Brown. Swoory.
    Aaron WebsteyJames Lange
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @Jennifer Post I am interested - thank you!!!

Funny about his lactate comment ... I still remember doing lactate tests at Crystal Pool in Victoria with our "off-brand" squad back in the day. Everyone else was clocking in at 14-15 'lactate units' (whatever they are, I forget), and I could barely get over 4. Maybe I should have listened to his gentle suggestions to think about going longer and forgetting about Olympics.
    Jennifer Postbbculp
    #KOAT
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    edited September 2018
    Performance testing is almost worthless. All it tells you is if you're better or worse than the last time you tested, which you should already know based on your training. You find what you need to know when you race. Either you meet your goal, or you don't. From there, you look at that data point and see if you need to train more or less. Simple.

Though in the case of @AaronWebstey it might tell you to focus on computers.
    Jennifer PostJames LangeAaron Webstey
  • Options
    I didn't know JF was helping the Italian federation with development. Amazing how much Italy has lagged behind its neighbors both in developing pros and growing the sport.
    James LangeJennifer PostAaron Webstey
  • Options
    bbculp said:

I didn't know JF was helping the Italian federation with development. Amazing how much Italy has lagged behind its neighbors both in developing pros and growing the sport.

I believe this is the first year. I didn't realize it at first. I just thought he was a big fan of their soccer team because he kept popping up in pictures wearing shirts and jackets with Italia in big letters. ;)
    M_WarebbculpAaron WebsteyCraig_D
  • Options
    He announced it some time back but my memory is fuzzy with getting run over by a bus earlier this year.

I also got run over by a bus.

Hope this helps,
    Pev
    Jennifer PostAaron Websteybbculp
  • Options
    Granpa ChookGranpa Chook Member
    edited September 2018
    @Jennifer Post Thanks for transcribing all that. All his answers are not surprising and make a lot of sense with his principles.

Real Coaching podcast is still great to listen to.
    M_WareJennifer PostAaron Webstey

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch