frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

ReTyre?

KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
Saw this wacky product on a Facebook ad this morning. Apparently approaching Kickstarter phase, it lets you zip a tread onto your slick tires, without even taking the wheels off.

Not sure just how safe these really are, or if there's enough of a market for it, but hey, something new for bikes.

https://www.retyre.no

Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
mbrekk44Tad_MkjrunninbbculpMartin

Comments

• Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Potts is running them in Kona.
    kjrunninMattdoyoueventribroTad_MKenElPescadoPeladoJames LangeAaron Websteybrockduke21MartinwchevronGranpa Chookellsworth53tCraig_DPevashishDaul
  • Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    When i first saw this I thought it was ridiculous but then I remember how I have a CX bike with 28c road tires that I use as a beat-around bike and whenever I want to ride trails or gravel I switch to a 38c tire on the rear and 1.9" 29er tire on the front. Of course if/when I race cyclocross the tires need to be under 33mm. I have three sets of tires for the same bike and spend 20-30 minutes swapping them before a ride whenever they need to be changed.

If this thing works as advertised and it went from road to CX or similar, I'd probably look into it. My guess, however, is that the zippers will corrode or the tire will wear out along the zipper.
    bbculp
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @doyoueventribro Simple solution: 3 wheelsets.
    bbculp
  • Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

@doyoueventribro Simple solution: 3 wheelsets.

I could probably find a set or two for under $100 but to be honest I can't be fucked. I already have 4 sets of wheels for the "nice bikes" (my road and TT bikes) and this CX bike was literally put together with old/spare parts and love. I don't invest a nickel into it unless it's required.
  • Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I've invested $0 in my "nice" bikes and all of my money into my "CX" (gravel) bike over the past two years and I've never enjoyed riding more.
    Mattmbrekk44
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    With a zipper to scratch your fork AND increased rolling resistance, what's not to love?
    brockduke21MartinKenElPescadoPeladombrekk44Tad_MCraig_D
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    @doyoueventribro unless you’re racing UCI, then it’s highly unlikely you need tires <33 mm. USAC says whatever you want.
    Some local race series will have rules like “if snow on ground, tires must be 2.9 or smaller” but that’s about all I know of in amateur racing outside of nationals.
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    There's a 17 page thread about their rolling resistance on Slowtwitch.
    M_WareKenElPescadoPeladoJennifer Postidking90bbculpMattAaron WebsteykjrunninTad_MCraig_DPevashishDaul

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch