frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Come Visit Michigan - August 16-19

Comments

• Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    edited August 17

@kjrunnin and @FastCat1107 got here in time to watch @Brew_Tri do the Micro.
    wchevronkjrunninAaronWebsteyyournotuniqueMartinGasBomb
    Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
    Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
    QOAP@triroost.com
    http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyA_drizzleyournotuniquekjrunninJennifer PostwchevronMattMartinGasBomb
    QOAP@triroost.com
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyyournotuniquekjrunninJennifer PostwchevronBrew_TriGranpa ChookTad_M
    QOAP@triroost.com
  • Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I look so miserable in that picture, lol. You’ve captured my current state perfectly!
    AaronWebsteyM_WareCraig_DJennifer PostA_drizzleGranpa ChookTad_M
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph | Follow yournotunique

• Options
    More action from #SworryTrials.
    wchevronAaronWebstey
    QOAP@triroost.com
  • Options
    Head on over to @TriRoost Instagram to view the inaugural #SworryTrials2018 Beer Mile!
    AaronWebstey
    QOAP@triroost.com
  • Options
    More Beer Mile action tomorrow when Craig, Tad, and Paul return from the Swim to the Moon.
    KenElPescadoPeladoJennifer PostAaronWebstey
    QOAP@triroost.com
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @OverBiker_Sam meet Tuck and Roll @Tad_M #sorry Tad. You have to take the new handle for at least 30 days.
    M_WareKenElPescadoPeladoJennifer PostMartinAaronWebstey
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    Brew_TriBrew_Tri Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Ah yes the avocado movement has been transcontinental.
    Jennifer PostAaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoTad_M
    Yay Sports! :#
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    M_Ware said:

More Beer Mile action tomorrow when Craig, Tad, and Paul return from the Swim to the Moon.

Nope,
    Beer mile Sunday is cancelled, @Brew_Tri is the 2018 official champion and standing #Sworry Trials record holder. (we will await the Garmin file post)

Cancelled due to:
    1. Lack of energy
    2. Lack of ability
    3. @OverSwimmerCraig_D
    4. Excessive Jello Shot Inventory

M_WarekjrunninJennifer PostAaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoGasBombCraig_DBrew_Tri

#Sworry 2019 - See you there!
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Did I mention I wish I could have gone
    Tad_MGasBomb
  • Options
    edited August 21
    Congrats to @OverSwimmerCraig_D and Paul Cottrell for a great performance at the Epic Swim to the Moon.
    (Craig conquered the 10k, and earned 1st 2nd Canadian honours)

M_WareGasBombkjrunninCraig_DBrew_Tri

• Options
    M_Ware said:

More action from #SworryTrials.

To me, the best part is the end where I greet a total stranger who happened upon us right at my finish - and then they talked to me instead of running away!
    AaronWebsteyGasBombM_WareKenElPescadoPeladoCraig_D

• Options
    Somehow the timing system database is slightly corrupted.
    HOWEVER...... It is clear that "The Old 69er" gravel sprint tri course challenge is still in tact. Congrats to @Brew_Tri for coming the closest. He has been granted a 37 second adjustment due to course navigation allowances, but is still about 4 minutes away from the magic mark of 69:00.

Who will show up to slay the beast next year???? Bring your gravel rig!

MattCraig_DBrew_Tri

• Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

Congrats to @OverSwimmerCraig_D and Paul Cottrell for a great performance at the Epic Swim to the Moon.
    (Craig conquered the 10k, and earned 1st 2nd Canadian honours)

So... @OverSwimmerCraig_D reflections on the 10K swim??? I expect you swim twice as fast as me (settle down, that's not a compliment, most people do) so probably did not find it as traumatic as I found my big swim. But I'm curious how it went and if you'd ever do it again, things you'd do differently, etc.
    RashCraig_D

• Options
    @kjrunnin I'll give you the short version - if you want more detail on certain aspects if you want. My training was pretty close to what I think I needed. I focused on raising my stroke rate using a tempo trainer for every swim. One long swim per week (2 hrs / 6 k - whatever comes first). Pre race went as planned and I was properly fueled. Plan going in was to take a bit off my pace for the first couple of k's - in training I found that I got into a good rhythm at that point. Execution - Race fell apart around 2 km mark. My left shoulder really started to act up almost as soon as I ramped up the stroke rate so I backed it down again, however it was still bugging me but tolerable. On the way back though after the turnaround things got really ugly. It turned into an exercise in perseverance. I had trouble getting a full stroke on the left and had to adjust accordingly on the right. The last 2 k across the lake were into the wind and you can see a big drop in my pace at that point once exposed to the waves. Nutrition wasn't an issue as I'd practiced the Vespa / OJ in training, however I did take on a gel and fluids at the last aid station more for mental satisfaction than actual need.

My finish time was 4:51: 08 Distance swam was 10,476 m (Polar) which put me at 2:48 / 100 m. I stopped a lot the last 4 km. The race had an awesome volunteer group and Larry the Paddle Board guy hung with me the last 4k and I hung off the board to stretch my shoulder probably every 200 m. I doubt I would have finished had that support not been there. I still have a 100% completion record for events so that's an added bonus (I'm grasping here). I'm satisfied with how I dealt with it, but a bit disappointed that the time result wasn't closer to what I'd trained to.

My intention was to use this as research into a possible Ultraman foray in 2020. All I can say is the distance is nuts - like seriously ridiculous. There were some serious swimmers in attendance for sure who made it look pretty easy. I'd planned on finishing around 3:20 which would still be back of pack. What probably didn't help was the hard swimming in the days before. I'd had a little niggle here and there but it really roared to life on the day it mattered.

Let me know if you want more than this - I can give you a breakdown of the 3 key swims I was using and what my nutrition plan was - you're vegan some of it won't really work for you though.
    M_WarewchevronKenElPescadoPeladokjrunnin
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    It sounds like our race day experiences were similar although my left shoulder didn’t give up on me until I was 3/4 of the way through. I only did a handful of long swims preparing because I just didn’t have the training time (IM 2 weeks before). How many 2h/6K swims did you do? And what did you decide about Ultraman? Are you thinking of Ultraman Canada or Ultra520K Canada? That’s a smart idea to do the swim before deciding!!

And I agree the distance is nuts. When I [finally] emerged from the water and was being given my medal, I said to the race guy “OMG in the history of EVER, has anyone ever done this twice?”
    Craig_D

• Options
    So since I'm in the mood to type and have some spare time I thought I'd share what some of us experienced and most of you regret not doing this fantastic weekend.

Cole's Notes in case you don't feel like reading - make plans to attend and be prepared to have a lot of laughs. There literally is something for everyone. - Tad and Paul and their spouses worked pretty damn hard to pull this off. (Thanks again!!!)

First off - I can't get my head around how much work @Tuck_n_Roll_Tad_M and his buddy Paul put into this. Their wives were also all in on helping them pull this off and sure made everyone had what they needed. In typical triathlete fashion Tad's vision was fantastically over the top. @Brew_Tri and I both marveled at the effort they put in.

Accommodations - the cabins were a perfect place for a group like ours to hang out (away from others..). Enough room for a few "friends" to hang out with a decent bed to crash on. Plenty of hot water in the shower. No A/C and it was hot and humid while we were there, but Tad and Paul brought fans to help keep the air moving at night which made a big difference. The park is close enough to anything you want / need. I like the fact we could lock the parking area down to prevent anyone coming in at night and they had a big trailer to lock the bikes up in at night.

Exercise activities - the guys had a little something for everyone and then some. Whatever you wanted to do - canoe, kayak, swim, bike (Mountain, road, or gravel), and run (road or trail). The swim course was well laid out with buoys that were big enough to see and followed a path to keep you clear of any weeds. They spent time removing weeds in some areas as well (these are the details that blow me away) so that swimmers would be more comfortable. The marked distances were 200m out to 1000m and were as accurate as any IM course (maybe closer even). The planned swimfari (2500m) didn't happen however it would have been fun for those not doing the Swim to the Moon. They had bike routes of multiple distances and if you wanted to try a different type of bike / route the option was always available. Tad even had Garmin's loaded with the gravel course on them for you to follow. The run trails were great little technical single tracks that offered a challenge to anyone. Extra points were given if you could steal a dog off someones grill on the way by. Distances from 1.5 Km out to 12 km were provided and maps also provided for the long run. We sort of settled on staggered starts for the planned events which worked out pretty well. Longer swims were done in pairs just for safety and to add a little spice to the racing. (@Brew_Tri is a sneaky bastard in the water just so everyone knows). The courses were subtlety marked where required.

Extracurriculars - As mentioned, anything you need is a short drive away (if Tad or Paul don't have it) and lots of restaurants etc that offer a variety of options. Be wary of the Labatt's $2 "Special". FYI - Canadians don't drink Labatt's anymore, we just export it. The days were full of things to do and for whatever reason we didn't eat until late (10ish) in the evening.

As mentioned above, if you have the opportunity to attend next year don't pass it up. Its a great time and you can be as triathletey as you want. @Tuck_n_Roll_Tad_M don't change anything buddy. Make sure someone carries on the @AaronWebstey appearances if the Real Webstey can't make it. This was a great break for me this summer. Just what the doctor ordered.
    M_WarewchevronMattAaronWebsteyTad_MkjrunninBrew_Tri
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    @kjrunnin No decision as to what race or when just yet. This was a big toe in the water. I know what I need to do now to be prepared for it. I worked up from a 4k session (my usual) to 6 k over 3 weeks in by mid June and from then on once per week. That session is either 60 x 100 or 30 x 200m with 10 seconds rest using a PB and small paddles. The goal is a maximum sustainable pace for the entire set. I use a tempo trainer set to a high stroke rate to help with this. I'd try to schedule this on Tuesdays and on Monday would do a "Recovery" swim of 4x100 m WU (10 sec rest), 8 x 50m Drills (Sighting or wrong side breathing practice - 10 sec rest), 60 x 25m (3 fast/ 1 Easy - 10 sec rest), 100m easy, 3 x 200m (Easy / Mod / Hard - 10 sec rest), 200m CD. My plan front loads the week with a lot of swimming. There is another session on Thursday or Friday that is around 3500 m that is a mixed bag of distances, varying efforts, and PB and paddle stuff.
    Tad_MBrew_Tri
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    60x25? Oh HELL no!!
    Craig_DTad_MAaronWebsteyBrew_Tri

• Options
    edited September 8
    Thanks for the kind synopsis @OverSwimmerCraig_D ! We appreciate the time you took to write this up, but for sure appreciate your attendance most of all. I have tucked the @AaronWebstey costume away in a safe place.
    M_WareCraig_DAaronWebsteyBrew_Tri

• Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

Thanks for the kind synopsis @OverSwimmerCraig_D ! We appreciate the time you took to write this up, but for sure appreciate your attendance most of all. I have tucked the @AaronWebstey costume away in a safe place.

Hopefully next year you won't need it
    M_WareCraig_DGasBombBrew_TriTad_M
  • Options

wchevronBrew_TriAaronWebsteyCraig_D

• Options
    A sincere thank you to the attendees, it was really fun. I just safely tucked away all the gear. Next year's setup will be a breeze.
    @M_Ware , my man cave is now far more appropriately equipped. I love this!

KenElPescadoPeladoJennifer PostAaronWebsteyCraig_DGasBomb

• Options
    edited September 13
    @Tuck_n_Roll_Tad_M you are most welcome I received the wine cock from @GasBomb and had his blessing to pass it along to another deserving Rooster. Feel free to pass him along in the future as you see fit.

Edited to add:
    Please note the name of the wine. #itsallinthedetails
    KenElPescadoPeladoTad_MJennifer PostAaronWebsteyCraig_DGasBomb
    QOAP@triroost.com
  • Options
    Tad_M said:

Listen- I love the Murder Mitten and this medal. I sure hope this was given out to all the champions (or anyone who participated, really).

AaronWebsteyCraig_D
    HMKP
  • Options
    stay tuned @HMkrplunkit , we were going to cast our own medals on site during the event, but have had to wait due to the humidity. Our new goal is to increase the size a bit, then cast and ship to the participants.
    AaronWebstey

• Options
    Eggsellent
    AaronWebsteyMattKenElPescadoPeladoslickfins_Ryan
    HMKP
  • Options
    @bbculp , you would be welcomed as the official bike counter of the #Sworry Trials. You could hold a beer and still have sufficient fingers to do the calculations. All in all, a cushy gig.
    slickfins_RyanJohns622KenElPescadoPelado

• Options
    Ok @Tad_M you were holding out on us. I can't believe I traveled all that way and didn't get to go for a ride

Brew_TriOverBiker_SamAaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoTad_M
    Canadian Division

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch