frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Hip-hop preferences

Comments

• Options
    dhrdhr Member
    I work in Detroit, so I’m sort of an expert.
    bbculpMatt
  • Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited August 2018
    Yeah, and like 107 people a day get shot in my city, so I'm basically living a Mobb Deep track.
    dhrMatt
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Dark_mark said:

this is all white people commenting on this. this thread is not credible.

It's not a white person rap thread until NPR's favourite rappers, Run the Jewels, get a call out.

So there you go.
    ellsworth53tKenElPescadoPeladoyournotunique
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Hey @bbculp you into Hilltop Hoods

I spent a couple months training and racing in Australia and got hooked on em. I'm pretty sure they are super cheesy but can't really remember
    bbculpGranpa Chook
    #KOAT
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM
    bbculp said:

@mbrekk44 I tend to judge people based solely on their taste in music and swimming ability. So unless you swim like Amberger, I think you might be a terrible person.

Then im the fucking worst. However if you don’t like Steve Winwoid, I will shit on your lawn. If people from Chicago even have lawns

bbculpMark_after_DarkItsShugKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I <3 @Martin. 123 days until Christmas.
    Aaron Webstey
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    Looks like we need to up the Secret Santa spend.
    M_WareAaron WebsteyMattMartinKenElPescadoPeladoyournotunique
  • Options
    ellsworth53tellsworth53t Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I like much of the same, Wu-Tang, Nas, Biggie. I also had a big phase of lisgening to underground hip hop in college, a bunch of Def Jux artists: El-P, Aesop Rock, Mr. Lif, Vast Aire.
    One of my favorite albums is Deltron 3030.

I went to graduate school in Brooklyn and lived in Biggie's neighborhood. I saw 3-6 Mafia once shooting a video when I was at the laundromat across the street. I also went to a house party once in Biggie's old house. Some friends just happened to be renting it. And that's the entirety of my street cred.
    MartinGranpa ChookKenElPescadoPeladoyournotunique
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    bbculp said:

@AaronWebstey enjoy your Nas education. Illmatic is right there with 36 Chambers as the greatest album in hip-hop history. He came out with a new album this year...you can skip that one.

x2
    I teach high schoolers and they stayed after class once to work on a project. They were talking about the hip hop they liked and I asked if they heard of Nas, they said no. So I played Illmatic for them.
    I forgot how much cursing there is, so I turned it off after NYC State of Mind, I didn't want a phone call from a parent.
    bbculpMartinGranpa ChookKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Oh yeah and a kid in my 8th grade class played young Tupac in the Dear Mama video. He had to leave social studies for two weeks to fly to LA and shoot the video.
    Also Lil Bow Wow went to high school with me.
    And one time I had a cigarette outside the club with local artist, Blueprint. Then I left my hip hop lifestyle for triathlon and moved to the suburbs to spend weekends at the Container Store.
    Aaron WebsteybbculpMartinM_WareTad_MGranpa ChookCraig_DKenElPescadoPeladoyournotunique
  • Options
    Martin said:

Dark_mark said:

this is all white people commenting on this. this thread is not credible.

It's not a white person rap thread until NPR's favourite rappers, Run the Jewels, get a call out.

So there you go.
    I called out El-P. Close enough. I'm sorry.
    Martin
  • Options

So there you go.

Uhhh... RTJ is fucking great .
    ellsworth53t
  • Options
    Granpa Chook
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    There was a great hip hop show on WFMU that I used to listen to in New York called Coffee Break for Heroes and Villains. It's now defunct but incredibly the shows are archived on their website here:
    http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/NU
    There's hundreds of hours of great music to listen to spanning from 88 - 08ish. I think each episode is 3 hours?
    This would be a good listen at work (got me through grad school) especially if you need to incorporate more hip hop into your diet.
    MattGranpa Chook
  • Options
    @ellsworth53t Dan the Automator...so fucking good. A Champion of the name Dan.

Dr Octagon was one of my favorites
    ellsworth53tMartin
  • Options
    @Granpa Chook here's two of my favorite artists together:

We always play music in my classroom, I let the kids pick sometimes (and on their birthday). I like to throw on RZA sometimes when they are working quietly on projects.
    M_WareGranpa ChookMattAaron WebsteyMartinyournotunique
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    Kool Keith “Sex Style”

Not for beginners.
    Granpa Chook
  • Options
    @ellsworth53t Oh my god. Somehow I missed that track? Many thanks.

I didn't know they did anything else together besides Biochemical Equation. Which I know you know, but to all those who don't know... now ya know.

@dhr "smoother than rick fox putting on hair gel"
    ellsworth53tdhr
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    MattM_Wareellsworth53tGranpa ChookMartinAaron WebsteykjrunninTad_MKuchCraig_Dyournotunique
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    @bbculp I pulled out Liquid Swords on my run today. I forgot how effin good 4th Chamber is.
    For some reason the last cassettes that I had were this album and Funcrusher Plus by Company Flow. I used to blast those cassettes in my 88 Accord.
    Granpa ChookbbculpAaron WebsteyMattKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    @ellsworth53t I can't think of the last day I didn't listen to 4th Chamber at least 2x. It was probably back in high school. Ghostface's opening verse is FUCKING FIRE.

For those of you who don't know, now you know.
    Granpa ChookAaron Websteyellsworth53tMattKuch
  • Options
    For any of you who want to further your education of the WU, I highly recommend watching Shogun Assassin (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081506/). That film was impetus behind Liquid Swords and some other of the Clan's best work.

The Wu-Tang Manual that Rza put together is also a great read and should be the centerpiece of everyone's coffee table. (https://www.amazon.com/Wu-Tang-Manual-RZA/dp/1594480184)
    Granpa ChookAaron WebsteyItsShugyournotunique
  • Options

@bbculp I used to blast those cassettes in my 88 Accord.

@ellsworth53t That may be the best way to listen to Wu I think. On a hot summer night with the moonroof cracked, or a cold winter morning when your heater doesn't work. I used to blast 36 Chambers on cassette in my 91 Civic Wagon (the Wu Wagon) until 4 years ago where I had to sell it. (i'm probably much younger than you but I am a longtime member of the my-bike-is-more-expensive-than-my-car club/ not having a real job).

I can't tell you how many times I say "you don't understand my words, but you must choose" in my everyday life...food, boardgames, swim sets, whatever.

That Akon x Moody Blues x Nasser story is just bizarre. Can we get more of those @bbculp ?

Y'all be nice to the crackheads.
    bbculpAaron Websteyellsworth53tKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Yeah @bbculp that's the all time best story on this forum. Not even sworry.
    MartinGranpa Chookbbculp
    #KOAT
  • Options
    In honor of Labor Day (and my birthday), I wanted to share the 3 greatest collaborations in hip-hop history.

I will now translate that into Canadian for @AaronWebstey ...

In honour of Labour Day (and my birthday), I wanted to share the 3 greatest collabourations in hip-hop history.

"Eye for an Eye" - Mobb Deep feat. Nas & Raekwon

"Verbal Intercourse" - Raekwon feat. Nas & Ghostface

"Right back at you" - Mobb Deep feat. Raekwon, Ghostface & Big Noyd
    Aaron WebsteyM_WareMartinMattGranpa Chook
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Canadian hip hop, part one

(This one introduced Nas to the world...)

bbculp
  • Options
    This needs to be posted here:
    bbculpAaron WebsteyGranpa Chook

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch