frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

What happened to Barrie Shepeley?

James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
Does anyone know why Barrie isn't doing the commentary for the WTS any more? His Twitter bio still says he is "Lucky to be Voice of the ITU." but he hasn't been on the WTS broadcast yet this season. Instead they've had a few different injured/retired female pros. How am I supposed to know when a Canadian is 27th out of the water without Barrie to point it out?

Aaron WebsteyTad_MJennifer Post

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I don't really know what's up. I kind of miss Barrie. Don't miss his overuse of "literally" though. He seemed to be doing fewer races these past few seasons so I wasn't surprised he wasn't on the first few broadcasts. I assumed he would appear on the races closer to home. On his social media, he always commented on his crazy travel schedule to make it to the races and then return to his athletes and other projects at home.

Hard to know though if it was also a budget decision and/or ITU wanting to mix it up a bit and have former/current racers.

I am a Lisa Norden fan so I liked her commentary. A bit rough with English being her second language and not being a polished broadcaster but I really appreciated her insights. I believe she is on an ITU committee as an athlete representative so I think she was an easy choice for ITU to get her on the coverage since they would know her personally and she is an Olympic medalist. She's also trained with so many of the top athletes that she also has interesting stories to tell.

I have no idea why Kirsten Sweetland was chosen for Hamburg. Not sure if she is an ITU athlete rep or not. She seems nice but didn't offer much. So many painful, awkward silences and Trevor basically had to serve up questions to her the entire time.

I think in the past when it was both Trevor and Barrie and they had guest commentators it worked well but that was because they had an extra voice just adding commentary with the original two. Trying to go with just Trevor and an athlete is tough unless they luck out and get someone like Alastair Brownlee to do it. His work "in the booth" on the Superleague finals last season was amazing. One of the best sports commentators I've heard in a long, long time.

It will be interesting to see if Barrie returns for the next two races in Canada.
    M_WareAaron WebsteyTad_MMattJames Lange
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Matt said:

Isn't he's advising Lionel Sanders?

I thought Lionel was officially advised by the Slowtwitch forum.
    Tad_MM_WareMattJennifer PostAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoHSeeley14
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Aaron WebsteyTad_M
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I predict MLT will become a huge success on the back of Barrie's voice of gold. When asked to comment on Barrie's contribution to their meteoric rise, MLT will reply "he's really just kind of an advisor these days".
    Tad_MJennifer PostMartinidking90KenElPescadoPelado
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM

I predict MLT will become a huge success on the back of Barrie's voice of gold. When asked to comment on Barrie's contribution to their meteoric rise, MLT will reply "he's really just kind of an advisor these days".

News Flash: All MLT riders are electing to wear camelbaks on the bike leg.
    MartinAaron Websteyidking90KenElPescadoPeladoJennifer Post
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Not sure what's going on, but it seems like the races he's not doing are the ones WTC acquired two years ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a budget thing. I expect he'll be at the two Canadian races coming up though.

Let ITU know via social media or sending an e-mail. Sweetland was painfully awkward.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Thanks for the prompt. I just added a comment on one of ITU tweets promoting Triathlon Live broadcasts asking if Barrie will be back in the booth this weekend. We'll see if they respond.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Kirsten is such a lovely person but it's hard to imagine her overcoming the shyness on camera. Never know though, if they give her another shot with some coaching anything could happen!
    Matt
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Nice having Barrie back on the broadcasts. We got his expertise plus the Whitfield name drop and frequent use of “literally.” ????
    M_WareAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Just caught up and watched WTS Edmonton now. It was great to have Barrie back. Hopefully he's there for Montreal and Gold Coast too.

@Jennifer Post It's not a literal "Whitfield name drop" when Whitfield is literally on camera.
    Aaron Webstey

• Options

Just caught up and watched WTS Edmonton now. It was great to have Barrie back. Hopefully he's there for Montreal and Gold Coast too.

@Jennifer Post It's not a literal "Whitfield name drop" when Whitfield is literally on camera.

Ha ha. True. But didn't Barrie first mention having dinner with Whitfield and then later they showed him on camera?

I think I read somewhere that Barrie is doing Montreal. Not sure about Gold Coast though. The broadcast is so much better with him so I really hope he is there for the final.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    i think he was just born that way
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Barrie will be doing Montreal. I'm not sure, but I doubt he's doing Gold Coast.
  • Options
    bbculp said:

Whats the deal? Is it a budget thing? I can't imagine that it's Barrie's choice.

• Options

bbculp said:

Whats the deal? Is it a budget thing? I can't imagine that it's Barrie's choice.
    I was really curious so held my nose and dashed over to the other site. Found a thread "Coach Barrie" had started on Major League Tri. This was his comment when someone asked about his ITU broadcasts.

"I had the honour of working WTS Edmonton and will also be in Montreal WTS working on the TV production commentary team. Always a privilege to do any ITU race that I am asked to work. ITU has an incredible product, and a great commitment to providing racing at the highest level."

Sounds like a budget issue. At least I hope it is budget. I'd hate to think ITU doesn't understand Barrie is far superior to the other commentators they've had this year.
    M_WareAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Honestly I think Barrie could do a better job on his own than Trevor can do with a novice at his side.
    Jennifer Post

• Options
    It's definitely a budget issue.

Like I said before, let ITU know how you feel on social media. Then maybe next year, they'll carve out budget from somewhere else.
    Jennifer PostAaron Webstey
  • Options
    I hope they find budget

Honestly I think Barrie could do a better job on his own than Trevor can do with a novice at his side.

I just watched the men's Euro Champs race. Trevor covered it on his own. I enjoyed it more than when he's had a novice by his side. It was actually kind of interesting to have pauses where you could just watch the race without commentary. I am curious to see what ITU does at the grand final.

Granpa Chook
  • Options
    @Jennifer Post Where did you watch the Euro Champs? I only found the recap on the ITu youtube channel.

And I have a lot of time for Trevor, he does a great job. Every time he says "statement of intent" I smile.
    Jennifer Post

• Options
    Trevor is an interesting dude. He's a professional gambler. Doing commentary is his side gig. He's also the only person you'll see smoking outside of the ITU host hotel.
    Jennifer PostM_WareAaron Webstey
  • Options

@Jennifer Post Where did you watch the Euro Champs? I only found the recap on the ITu youtube channel.

And I have a lot of time for Trevor, he does a great job. Every time he says "statement of intent" I smile.

Eurovisionsports. Not geo blocked. Mixed Team Relay is tomorrow.

https://www.eurovisionsports.tv/EuropeanChamps18/triathlon/
    Granpa ChookJames Lange
  • Options
    @Jennifer Post Is there a replay up yet?
  • Options

@Jennifer Post Is there a replay up yet?

I haven't found any replays of events. I think the only options are the live broadcasts and the highlights. I am still hoping they post full replays after the championships are over but I don't think that's likely.

• Options
    Mixed relay starts soon!
    Jennifer Post
  • Options
    I like the gal wearing the gray/black horizontal block wetsuit. Never seen that before. Not sure which brand but certainly stands out in the start line.
    M_WareGranpa ChookAaron Webstey
  • Options
    France's relay is pretty fucking good! Also Australia. The USA team has a shot at a medal but the dudes are going to have to get a lot better. It will be a good race to watch though.
    Aaron WebsteyJennifer Post
  • Options
    It was great that the ITU broadcasted the feed to the Lausanne World Cup today even if there weren't commentators. I wish they did that for more World Cups.
    Jennifer Post
  • Options
    I agree. I woke up in time to watch the men’s race. I tried to remember my 9th grade French but failed miserably. Or should I say lamentablement?
    MattGranpa ChookTad_M

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch