frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Tour de France 2018

Comments

• Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Yes, your assumption is correct. Here's how it's described on the site:

"As described in the Terms and Conditions of the game, each rider will earn for the criterion "Stage final ranking" the points awarded to his team for its final ranking on the stage divided by 8."
  • Options
    Yeah i'm a doofus and saw that but missed the divided by 8 part

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited July 9
    Well, @Jennifer Post should really be writing this since she's leading the league, but what the hell.

STAGE 2 RECAP
    • Crash.
    • Crash.
    • Crash.
      (And that was just Mitchelton-Scott. And sadly, LL Sanchez, who left the race.)
    • Crashy McCrashface. (That would be Swiss champion and famed Paris-Roubaix wheelsucker Silvan Dillier.)
    • Double wheel change from teammate for Arnaud Demare. (Poor guy was left standing on the side of the road holding a $7,500 machine with no wheels.)
    • Kittel flats at the 7km mark. Buh-bye.
    • Big crash with lots of people crashing, because like identical fermions in Pauli's exclusion principle, 200 cyclists going 55 km/h cannot occupy the same space on a 90-degree turn on a narrow road in some random village in France.
    • Sagan barely beats Colbrelli.
    • Five hours later:
      They change all of the standings, because half of the peloton finished on bikes without transponders. Yeah, science!
    STAGE 3 - TEAM TIME TRIAL

Tomorrow is the 35km team time trial. If you look at the rosters, you see that most teams have heavied up on climbers for the tough climbs coming from stage 10 onwards. This means a lot of teams are lacking horsepower for the TTT on paper. TTTs are funny beasts, though. The strongest team on paper doesn't always win, because they might not train for the TTT, and thus are less capable at going 55km/h in their aero bars just an inch off the wheel in front of them. (Maybe IM Texas can offer some kind of training package next year...) Expect top speeds of 80+, and average speeds closer to 60km/h than 50km/h.

No reasonable person is betting against Sky here, assuming they have stopped using some bleeding-edge, wildly unpredictable Continental rubber compounds, or experimental Shimano wheels. The only question is whether or not they can pull back 14 seconds on Bora to put GT in yellow. Ha ha. Just kidding. I love Sagan as much as everyone else, and they have Bodnar, but GT wants yellow. He could ride solo and put 14 seconds into Bora tomorrow. (That might even be the Sky strategy.)

I would guess second place goes to BMC. Their B-team took second to Sky at the Dauphine, and their A-team annihilated Sky's C-team at TdeSuisse. But knowing your leader has a high-paying gig on another team next year might not be highly motivating to the rest of the team.

Dark horses:
    Bahrain - Nibali's team looks climber-heavy, but it's climber-heavy with guys like Pozzo who showed TT chops in Italy.
    QuickStep - Because Gaviria looks good in yellow, and Philippe Gilbert will channel his solo Tour of Flanders ride from a couple years ago.
    Roglic-powered Lotto-JumboNL.
    Until their crashfest today, I would have Mitchelton on that list, but they will probably be tired. Crashing sucks.
    Robert RankinMattEvansimonsen77
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited July 9
    @Martin you're just amazing. I thin kI care more about your recap than actually watching.
    For shame you didn't mention Chavanel's day-long solo raid during his 18th Tour!

Stage 2 gallery: CyclingTips SteepHill

Stage 3 - TTT

BMC will be riding 58T rings instead of 56 'to take advantage of the tailwinds and rolling parcours'

Spare a thought to Lawson Craddock with a fractured shoulder blade (from stage 1 feed zone). The TTT will hurt. Time cut is 30% of time set by winning team.

Jens Voigt is picking Sunweb for the TTT.
    Also: One a single pedalstroek, a 56x11 covers 10.436 meters (11.4 yards or 34.2 feet)
    They're going to plaid!

Brew_TriAaronWebsteysimonsen77
  • Options
    Early reports are in:
    - Team Sky reach the second time check 3.6s up on Mitchelton-Scott
    - Froome did a two kilometer pull on the climb
    - Michelton-Scott set reference time of 38m55ss
  • Options
    Matt said:

Early reports are in:
    - Team Sky reach the second time check 3.6s up on Mitchelton-Scott
    - Froome did a two kilometer pull on the climb
    - Michelton-Scott set reference time of 38m55ss

BMC on the same time as Sky. Sky down to six riders, Movistar to 5. Must finish with four.

Remember the good old days when USPS waited for guys to finish with nine riders? Nah, me neither.
    EvanAaronWebstey
  • Options
    From cyclingnews.com. Apparently Mitchelton raced with half-watermelons on their head instead of aero helmets.

MattRobert RankinAaronWebsteysimonsen77
  • Options
    Team Sky takes the lead with a time of 38:50
    Movistar finish, 49s down on Sky

'Remarkable article in L'Equipe about energy savings of riding in a peloton. According to Dutch researcher Bert Blocken, a rider in the most 'efficient' position in the bunch can ride at 54 km/h while producing watts that would give him a speed of 12-15 km/h if he was riding alone.'

Robert RankinMartinAaronWebstey
  • Options
    BMC takes the lead!
    MattJennifer Post
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Bahrain believes in Aliens. I'll take the Alien Watermelon helmet please!
    Martin

#Sworry 2019 - See you there!
  • Options
    Martin said:

Well, @Jennifer Post should really be writing this since she's leading the league, but what the hell.

My reign at the top of the leaderboard will last about as long as Sagan in yellow. I wish there was some actual knowledge behind my picks but they are pretty much just luck. I saw points the first two stages because I am a Sagan fangirl and chose him as my team captain. Then I chose Gaviria after I read @Martin's recommendation that Gaviria was the best choice from Quick-Step. Finally, I went with Kristoff since I lived in Sweden for 5 years and will forever root for riders from Scandinavia.

I suspect I will start paying for my "anyone but Sky & BMC" strategy very soon.
    Martin
  • Options
    edited July 9
    @Jennifer Post then you should support Team Denmark Astana because of Fuglsang

BMC Racing win Stage 3 of the Tour de France and Greg Van Avermaet is the new race leader.

New Top 10

1 VAN AVERMAET Greg BMC RACING TEAM 9h 08' 55''
    2 VAN GARDEREN Tejay BMC RACING TEAM + 00' 00''
    3 THOMAS Geraint TEAM SKY+ 00' 03''
    4 GILBERT Philippe QUICK - STEP FLOORS + 00' 05''
    5 JUNGELS Bob QUICK - STEP FLOORS + 00' 07''
    6 ALAPHILIPPE Julian QUICK - STEP FLOORS + 00' 07''
    7 DUMOULIN Tom TEAM SUNWEB + 00' 11''
    8 ANDERSEN Søren Kragh TEAM SUNWEB + 00' 11''
    9 MATTHEWS Michael TEAM SUNWEB + 00' 11''
    10 SAGAN Peter BORA - HANSGROHE + 00' 34''

Jennifer PostMartin
  • Options
    I'm short on time today, so this will be a quick recap. I'm not sure that Bora has even finished yet, but it's not that important. BMC took it with an even effort. GVA crossed first, putting him in yellow for the first time since his golden season in 2016. (BMC usually gives him a fancy bike for days like this - looking forward to seeing his ride tomorrow…) There was one hill on the course that put a lot of teams to the sword. Nibali destroyed his team (all bar four riders gone), QuickStep shattered (Gaviria dropped), Bora shattered (Sagan gone), etc. You could see Sagan starting to chuckle in slow-mo as he realized he was about to crack. I hope he popped a wheelie or two on the ride in to celebrate his day in yellow.

The top 10 teams were separated by less than a minute, so no massive gaps, which is good. The GC is going to be tight for the next few days. Thomas is only three seconds out of yellow, so he could conceivably grab it with some bonus seconds. Gilbert is only five seconds out, but GVA will be marking him so that's probably a non-starter. Matthews is only 0:11 back, and he has a shot in the sprints. Should make for some good racing between now and the cobbles.

Impressed by:
    • Uran at only 0:35 back. I was worried about EF-Drapac. They have beautiful bikes but I did not have a good read on their team. Looks like Uran is patiently lying in wait, like last year.
    • Bahrain, because that ride with only four guys for the last 10k or so was insane.
    • Sunweb, although being the reigning world champions in the event, this should not be that surprising.
    • Astana, because they always seem to hang around, Fuglsgang is sitting on the same time as Porte, Froome and the other big guns, and because @Matt paid me to say something nice about them.
    • Fortuneo-Samsic because they beat at least two World Tour teams. Chapeau.

Disappointed by:
    • LottoNL-Jumbo - Roglic must be pissed.
    • Cofidis - In the mountains, the grupetto rides at the bare minimum pace required to not get eliminated by the time cut. Not sure I had ever seen a team take that approach in a TTT until today. Pretty sure a solo dropped rider from a later team rode past them at one point.
    STAGE 4
    Small, crappy roads and a bumpy course, albeit with only one categorized climb. All you need to know about this day is that the run-in to the finish is a 4 km long straight-line. I'm surprised Mario Cipollini didn't come out of retirement and don his tiger-print skinsuit one last time for this. This is an old-school sprint stage. If you have a rider with very, very large quads named Kittel, Greipel, Demare, or possibly Cavendish, and a strong leadout train, name him your road captain now. The only hiccup is that the weather report is showing 25km/h sustained winds with some gusts later in the day. They may not come in to play, but if they do it will be whoever launches last that will win.
    MattAaronWebstey
  • Options
    Matt said:

@Jennifer Post then you should support Team Denmark Astana because of Fuglsang

Perhaps my rest day change. :)
    MattMartin
  • Options
    On-board footage with Michelton-Scott.

That turn at 0:42
    Martin
  • Options
    EvanEvan Member
    Martin said:

Cofidis - In the mountains, the grupetto rides at the bare minimum pace required to not get eliminated by the time cut. Not sure I had ever seen a team take that approach in a TTT until today. Pretty sure a solo dropped rider from a later team rode past them at one point.

i spit out my coffee at this last sentence...hahahaha. what were they doing?!!?

also, i am still in disbelief at Lawson Craddock. Dude took a pull with a broken shoulder on a TT bike. that's just insane.

I think SKY intentionally let BMC win so they could get time on GC but not have the obligation of the yellow jersey for the first week.
    Jennifer PostMartin

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    So, choosing a team of exclusively french riders is apparently not the way to go? And this team captain thing is a joke. Double points only for the day's results? Not for overall classifications? Alaphilippe was supposed to be my ringer in the first week. C'mon QS, stop making that guy work for Gaviria.

Also, the TTT once again shows its irrelevance. I suppose that's a good thing for keeping the overall open, but then why even bother? Give me a punchy, rolueur-type stage instead.

(Getting in my excuses early for why I'm wallowing in the bottom quadrant).
  • Options
    edited July 10
    The saddest words in all of sport, courtesy of cyclingnews:

17:52:28 CEST
    1km remaining from 195km
    Gruppo compatto as Van Keirsbulck is caught at the flamme rouge.

EvanRobert RankinJennifer Post
  • Options
    I like the double points and swapping a rider on rest days. Gives a guy like me, who knows very little (I have a Cofidis rider on my team), a shot haha
    AaronWebsteyJennifer Post

• Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
  • Options
    @AaronWebstey it’s just Sagan and Gaviria
    MartinJennifer Post

• Options

Still shows skill. I had debated making Gaviria my road captain for today but stuck with Sagan. You obviously made the correct choice for road captain today.
    AaronWebsteyRobert RankinTad_M
  • Options
    I logged in to change my captain to Demare and missed the cutoff. Was pissed until I saw him pedaling backwards in the sprint. He looked like Cav out there.
    Jennifer PostKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options

Still shows skill. I had debated making Gaviria my road captain for today but stuck with Sagan. You obviously made the correct choice for road captain today.
    Yeah I had the wrong one starting each of the first 2 stages. I predict I’ll drop quite a bit once the real stages start.
    MartinJennifer Post

• Options

He looked like Cav out there.

Back, back, wayyyyyy back.

Robert RankinMartinJennifer Post
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Saaaaaaagaaaaaaaannnnn
    MartinRobert RankinM_WareTad_MJennifer Post
  • Options
    Alaphilippe's gonna get one!!! Oh, nevermind, my pics are garbage...
  • Options

Saaaaaaagaaaaaaaannnnn

His interviews are always good but post race today was especially good. He looked completely out of it.

Here comes my fall from grace in the standings though. It was a fun first few stages, now those that know more than just two sprinters can take over. The finish looks a little tougher tomorrow

AaronWebsteyJennifer PostMartin

• Options

Saaaaaaagaaaaaaaannnnn

Here comes my fall from grace in the standings though. It was a fun first few stages, now those that know more than just two sprinters can take over. The finish looks a little tougher tomorrow

After enjoying a few days of glory due to our picks of Sagan and Gaviria, I think you and I will have an interesting race to the bottom of standings.
    MartinAaronWebstey
  • Options

Saaaaaaagaaaaaaaannnnn

After enjoying a few days of glory due to our picks of Sagan and Gaviria, I think you and I will have an interesting race to the bottom of standings.
    See y'all back here for stage 21.
    AaronWebsteyJennifer PostRobert RankinTad_M

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch