frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

USA Track & Field Championships (spoilers)

Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
Maybe I am just late to the party but didn't realize until today how many people in the running community are not big fans of Jorgensen. I am all for people going after big goals but always thought she was being somewhat arrogant and disrespectful of athletes that have focused on running their entire careers with her infamous proclamation she is going for marathon gold in Tokyo.

Interesting to see the mocking going on over at Let's Run before and after her 7th place finish at USATF Championships. in 10k. Let's also say Talbot Cox appears in a few comments too. letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=8878295

Also telling response in this video from the 10k winner Huddle at around 3:30.

Comments

• Options
    I don’t understand how setting high goals is arrogant? I also wouldn’t expect her to do well against 10k runners if she’s actually marathon training. Kinda dumb of the reporter to ask someone like Molly about Gwen. What is she supposed to say there? Haha
    Aaron WebsteyTad_M

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    You know how the saying goes: triathletes are average at 3 sports instead of great at 1.
    Turns out it also applies to the pros.
    Jennifer PostRobert Rankin
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I have to say from a fan perspective Gwat are not favorites of mine. And yes, dumbass move on the part of the reporter. Molly is a class act.
    Jennifer PostTad_M
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @Robert Rankin there is definite hate in the running world towards triathletes in general. Buntowards gwen specifically, the feeling of arrogance is that she gives an impression that she thinks winning gold in the marathon will be easy. Just work her ass off and the medal will come. Nevermind that Americans have on gold only once (in the inaugural race in LA in 84) and only one other medal (bronze in 2004). Add to that Gwen doesn’t have the history or performing in pure running races and other women, who do have world-beating resumes, aren’t talking about gold in Tokyo, or even medals yet since qualifying won’t be until that spring. He statements that she’s going for gold is being construed to mean she thinks she will win it, even though she’s given no indication she has the talent to do so. Gwen is fast for triathlon, and the general population. And competitive as a runner, but not a world beater, especially in the marathon with her form and stature, where light weight and efficiency really shine.
    MattJennifer PostTad_MRobert Rankin
  • Options
    I agree with @KHilgendorf. I think she gave the impression that winning the gold would be easy.

I think the bigger issue though is that she basically discounted all the other American runners. She focused on the Gold and skipped over the fact she needs to first qualify for the team. American women's distance running is experiencing a renaissance. So many women could make the team.

In my opinion, she also chose bad timing to announce her dream of a marathon goal just 2 days after Flanagan won New York. It was certainly a crafty PR move to jump on the buzz and capture some of the focus on an American winning the NY Marathon in 40 years but was disrespectful to insert herself into the conversation.

In contrast, look at how other athletes making transitions show their intentions but are respectful of those currently in the field. Just as an example, Gomez talking about going LC, Talansky saying his goal is just to qualify for Kona, and Duffy when she talks about a possible focus on mountain bike. For running, see Sarah Sellars' interviews after her surprise 2nd place finish at Boston.
    M_WareMattTad_M
  • Options
    I guess I kind of see it, but it also would have looked foolish to say anything else. Leaving triathlon at her peak she either had to say “I’m transitioning to running to be competitive” (and if you’re competitive you want to win), or “I’m retiring to run”.

I saw/see her actions less as arrogant and more trying to make a living. She’s lost to unattached runners yet she’s sponsored by Nike. People can blast the social media presence but I guarantee it’s paying the bills. From an aspiring stay at home dad, letsrun needs to lay off Patrick
    Jennifer PostAaron WebsteyJohns622

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @Robert Rankin i agree pat shouldn’t be chided for the stay at home dad part. But in the beginning, he acted like he was sacrificing his pro cycling career to support her, when in fact his only palmates were a couple local wins. He was t even a domestic domestique and would never have been able to survive cycling.

Regarding Gwen, I believe her focus is wrong. Should be 5k/10k with her height/weight and more powerful stride. The way she carries her arms will always be a hinderance in the marathon. She has room to improve efficiency in that regard, but she’s always going to be 15+ lbs heavier than the top African/Asian runners. That can be overcome with additional strength in shorter races, but I don’t see her hanging in the last 10k when the contenders make a move. Her only hope, in my opinion, is a tactical race in the low 2:30s for qualifying. Otherwise I just don’t see her making the team if she has to run mid/high 2:20s. And the games will be even harder, with a tactical 2:25 needed to win.
    Robert RankinM_WareJennifer PostTad_M
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member

@Robert Rankin i agree pat shouldn’t be chided for the stay at home dad part. But in the beginning, he acted like he was sacrificing his pro cycling career to support her, when in fact his only palmates were a couple local wins. He was t even a domestic domestique and would never have been able to survive cycling.

Phil Gaimon talks about Pat in his 2 books. Says he absolutely made the right decision.
    M_WareAaron WebsteyRobert RankinTad_M
  • Options

I guess I kind of see it, but it also would have looked foolish to say anything else. Leaving triathlon at her peak she either had to say “I’m transitioning to running to be competitive” (and if you’re competitive you want to win), or “I’m retiring to run”.

I saw/see her actions less as arrogant and more trying to make a living. She’s lost to unattached runners yet she’s sponsored by Nike. People can blast the social media presence but I guarantee it’s paying the bills. From an aspiring stay at home dad, letsrun needs to lay off Patrick

Getting into the weeds here but I think something simple like, “I’ve always loved running and I want a new challenge so I am going to test myself against the best in the world,” would have prevented a lot of the backlash.

As my grandma used to say, “it’s better to eat a small piece of humble pie at home than the whole humble pie in public.”

M_WareTad_M
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Wise Grandma @Jennifer Post . Totally agree with Grandma in general, but specifically in the case of Gwen. Doing it the way she has creates a bit of inevitable negativity towards the tri community at large and the other tri pros in specific. You are responsible for your community as well as yourself sometimes when you act.....
    Jennifer Postkjrunnin
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch