frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Driver Sentenced in Cyclists Deaths

Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
Second degree murder conviction and 40 years in prison.

Are others receiving significant jail time around the country or are they getting off easy? I hope the penalties are severe. The sad thing is this is the pickup that was reported by many people over 30 minutes before the accident driving erratically and destroying other property prior to hitting the cyclists.

Story on sentencing, and a piece of original coverage of the accident.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/06/11/mich-man-gets-40-years-prison-deaths-5-cyclists-kalamazoo/690644002/

http://wwmt.com/news/local/multiple-bicyclists-hit-killed-in-crash
visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
MattKenElPescadoPelado

Comments

• Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Getting off easy here. The most recent sentencing outrage: in the fall of 2016, a driver crossed the centre line and plowed into a group of cyclists (including the son of a friend of mine) on the shoulder, on the other side of the road. That's right, not from behind. He drove into them on the other side of the road. Several were injured, one cyclist died.

Last month, he received his punishment: an $1800 fine and a one year driving ban. Disgusting.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/family-of-dead-cyclist-appalled-that-accused-gets-fine-and-driving-ban
    Tad_MMattKenElPescadoPeladoJennifer Post

• Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I think most punishments I've seen are insignificant. One of the worst stories I've read about was in Boulder. The DUI-driving piece of trash pled to vehicular homicide and got max 12 years sentence but still just a sliver of what she deserves in my opinion. Her family testified that she was a kind and caring Christian and the judge should sentence her to the low-end of the sentencing range.

"Police said the results of a blood test showed Kuhasz had a blood-alcohol level of 0.148 three hours after the crash. The test also indicated metabolites of cocaine and THC, which indicated Kuhasz had used the drugs at some time before the crash.

Kuhasz was still on probation for driving while ability impaired in Boulder in March 2016 and also had two other prior alcohol-related arrests — one for DUI and one for public intoxication."

dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_30848229
    Tad_MkjrunninM_Ware
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM

I think most punishments I've seen are insignificant. One of the worst stories I've read about was in Boulder. The DUI-driving piece of trash pled to vehicular homicide and got max 12 years sentence but still just a sliver of what she deserves in my opinion. Her family testified that she was a kind and caring Christian and the judge should sentence her to the low-end of the sentencing range.

"Police said the results of a blood test showed Kuhasz had a blood-alcohol level of 0.148 three hours after the crash. The test also indicated metabolites of cocaine and THC, which indicated Kuhasz had used the drugs at some time before the crash.

Kuhasz was still on probation for driving while ability impaired in Boulder in March 2016 and also had two other prior alcohol-related arrests — one for DUI and one for public intoxication."

dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_30848229

I just happened to be riding in Boulder and rode past this minutes after it happened. Only one ambulance on the scene and no police, and the paramedic doing chest compressions as he laid motionless on the road. His friend stood nearby watching his friend die.

Not something I will ever soon forget. Fuck that bitch.
    Tad_MJennifer PostkjrunninM_WareMartinKenElPescadoPeladoAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Wow. So horrible. I would be haunted by that image for life.
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I have trouble thinking the sentence isn't enough. She entered prison at 25-26 and will spend 1/3 of her life there before getting out. She'll be a hugely different person at 37, especially after her experiences inside. Is she an immature piece of shit? Yes. Will she be when she gets out? Who knows.

But the purpose of prison is not incarceration, it's rehabilitation. Should we punish people for their mistakes? Should we completely ruin them in retribution?
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM

I have trouble thinking the sentence isn't enough. She entered prison at 25-26 and will spend 1/3 of her life there before getting out. She'll be a hugely different person at 37, especially after her experiences inside. Is she an immature piece of shit? Yes. Will she be when she gets out? Who knows.

But the purpose of prison is not incarceration, it's rehabilitation. Should we punish people for their mistakes? Should we completely ruin them in retribution?

lol american prisons are meant to rehabilitate

Jennifer PostTad_MItsShugAaron Webstey
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

Should we punish people for their mistakes?

How many mistakes and deaths does one get to make/cause before it becomes premeditated, and not a mistake at all but just putting one’s desire to drink and drive ahead of the value of someone else’s life?
    Jennifer PostTad_MJohns622
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    I tend to look at the wife and young children being left without their dad for 4/5 of their lives vs. white trash Barbie losing 12 years in prison. I am not usually so hard-lined. However, reading witness testimony including the bit about her laughing at the damage done to her car daddy bought her after mowing down someone and leaving him for dead removed any compassion I might have had. Disclaimer: I drove a fancy car too from my parents at that age and managed to not drive drunk multiple times and kill someone and laugh about it.
    Tad_MM_WareAaron Webstey
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    edited June 2018
    My issue with simply throwing away the key on these types of cases is that while you can't replace the life she took, and you can't wipe clean the damage caused to the victim's friends/family, all a long sentence does is ruin another life. If want to give her 50, you may as well push for death. It's effectively the same outcome. And the family won't find peace regardless of the outcome (4 years, 12 years, or life). It's a horrible situation that has no positive outcome, so we need to focus on what we can do to improve the situation for all parties and have a less negative end.
    Kelly O'MaraAaron Webstey
  • Options
    I see your point but, sadly, our US prisons aren't about rehabilitation. I think people come out of US prisons usually the same or worse than they went in. I won't lose sleep over this chick with such disregard for other lives not getting out earlier. I think she's likely to drive drunk again if she gets out at 35 or 70.

Instead, I tend to put more efforts towards fighting the racial disparities in incarceration. But, that's a different topic for another day.

#soapbox. I do wish our prisons were focused on rehabilitation. I've actually seen this in practice with success. My degree is in Public Administration from a university in Sweden. We had one Prof in particular that believed we had to get out from our books and theories and see how government agencies were actually managed. One of the areas we focused on was the Swedish prison system. It even included a visit to a prison. It was all rather amazing. The staff to inmate (or "client" as they sometimes call them) was nearly 1:1. Focus really was on rehabilitation through counseling and education. Their living quarters were as nice as our student rooms. Recidivism rate was amazingly low. I recall it being less than half that of US. Rehabilitation can happen in the right system.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    My current binge listening podcast is Ear Hustle. Have you heard of it? It’s recorded at San Quentin and is about life in prison. It’s clear that the US prison system (or justice system) isn’t focused on rehabilitation. Worth a listen.

On the topic of racial disparity, I recommend season 2 of In the Dark.

• Options
    Thanks for the recommendations. I have heard about Ear Hustle. Bits and pieces at least. One story about an inmate was just so sad. It even made me cry. He was going to get a visit from a relative (mom or aunt...can’t remember exactly) and he didn’t know if he would want to hug her or not but the heartbreaking bit was how he didn’t remember how to hug someone.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch