frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Can we bring back Fantasy Triathlon now?

idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
No, but really. I realize that triathlon is basically unimportant in this realm, but hey I won like $60 that I let roll to Webstey when the gubment shut us down.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/here-comes-the-sports-gambling-apocalypse-1526317001
M_Wareellsworth53t

Comments

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Non-paywall version: https://www.thestar.com/sports/2018/05/14/us-supreme-court-makes-sports-betting-a-possibility-for-all-states.html

I'd love to bring it back - if anyone has a buttload of web development time to burn and 0 requirement for compensation, let me know! I do quite miss it though.
    M_WareMartinidking90James LangeCraig_DTad_Mfyrehaar
    #KOAT
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    @AaronWebstey but that version is way less funny than Jason Gay’s column.
    But...I could actually consider that idea as much as I hated my web development class. You can’t skim a small portion, though?
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Zach MillerZach Miller Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @AaronWebstey i am sure the framework has to be saved somewhere right?

adding athletes and making start lists each week is the biggest time suck
    M_WareAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    @Zach Miller I would guess the better solution is relatively limiting the events covered. Similar to how you only did WTS, something like only races above a certain number of points or prize money, etc for WTC events. Add stuff like Escape, other races (cough XTERRA) as needed if there’s a void or a specific desire
    M_WareKenElPescadoPeladofyrehaar
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I loved fantasy triathlon, and would be all over it if it came back.
    Tad_Midking90fyrehaar

• Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I loved fantasy triathlon too. I could help with the start lists. I know I did it once...possibly twice before when Zach was short on time. I don't really care for LC so I'll call dibs right now on WTS start lists. ;) Oh! And Super League!
    M_Ware
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Please don't get your hopes up, but I'm investigating an option that might be feasible (thanks to @idking90 for finding a potential framework). If anyone has screen shots of the old FantasyTriathlon.com that you could send my way, please email em to webstey@triroost.com.
    M_WareTad_Midking90James Lange
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Johns622Johns622 Member, Rooster Endurance Member

I loved fantasy triathlon too. I could help with the start lists. I know I did it once...possibly twice before when Zach was short on time. I don't really care for LC so I'll call dibs right now on WTS start lists. ;) Oh! And Super League!

What if @AaronWebstey had a start list committee and everyone on the committee had a week or month?
    Jennifer Post
  • Options
    The good news is that we can have a super professional fantasy triathlon system, multiple payment methods, native IOS and Android apps, and a super slick data entry and scoring system - all with a perfectly reasonable amount of effort and time on my part!

So, anyone got $10 grand USD to invest? You could see a full ROI in as few as 20 years.
    Jennifer PostCraig_DKenElPescadoPeladoMartin
    #KOAT
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    Will you take an IOU?
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    I can't see why not!

This is the software Ian pointed out. If it does everything it advertises, it's basically perfect and there's no reason for anyone to ever write a line of fantasy sports code again.

https://www.vinfotech.com/fantasy-sports/fantasy-sports-framework

The main problem with using our old system is that it relied on a backend server that was hosted by some dude, "somewhere", and I'm fairly certain we no longer have access to that server (if it even still exists). So either I need to spend a bunch of time rebuilding the old software, or we need to find or build something new. I'll probably see if Vinfotech has a more ... "approachable" starter package that we might be able to build on if we ever picked up steam.
    #KOAT
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM

Aaron WebsteyfyrehaarwchevronTad_MJennifer PostStruangM_WareCraig_DKenElPescadoPeladoKHilgendorf

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    @GasBomb is back... And not a moment too soon!
    Aaron WebsteyM_WareGasBombJohns622
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I smell a GoFundMe opportunity!
    Aaron WebsteyM_WareKelly O'Mara
  • Options

I smell a GoFundMe opportunity!

If we raised $10k for fantasy triathlon I would eat my own ... T-shirt :)

I bet we could get $1k. And do I really need both livers? That should get us close!
    Craig_DJennifer Postidking90Tad_MJames LangeKenElPescadoPelado
    #KOAT
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    edited May 2018
    Careful @AaronWebstey my stock picks have been gathering steam lately and I might find a spare 10k to throw at you if eating a shirt is on the table. Live stream it and I bet I can find a few others to chip in. Shit, I could probably set up a twitch channel and get you sponsored.
    M_WareTad_MAaron WebsteyCraig_D
  • Options
    @KHilgendorf if you're on a roll in the markets, I would hate to be the one to kill it. That being said, saving fantasy triathlon could be just the kind of charity karma you need to keep that roll alive!
    M_WareGasBombJames LangeJennifer Postidking90KenElPescadoPeladoKHilgendorfTad_M
    #KOAT
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I’m pretty sure that investment would be a total write off. Without the benefit of a tax break. That said, I am still unemployed, so maybe I’ll just dust off the old 486 and start writing some Fortran to get this thing off the ground. Can’t be much worse than the first iteration.
    Tad_MAaron Websteyidking90Craig_D
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    @KHilgendorf , you win POTM simply for using the word Fortran.*

*I have no authority whatsoever.
    Aaron WebsteyMattStruangCraig_D
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    All will be revealed in a fortnight!!

Just kidding, I'll get to it this weekend
    M_Ware
    #KOAT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch