frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Another “well thought out” article from the other site...

jrielley1406jrielley1406 Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
I bet this will drive even more traffic here where people aren’t sexist! Sorry if I’m not supposed to link it but that interview was a mess. Herbert at it again.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Interview/Up_close_with_Jen_Annett_6841.html
“Pro” triathlete and dad to a crazy, wild, and fun little girl! So basically freaking out on a day to day basis...

Comments

• Options
    Surprised he didn't hit on abortions with her as well. I'm shocked she even finished the interview seeing as the whole thing was him dancing around calling her a cheater
    maggieruKelly O'Mara

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    Granted I’m bias because jonnyo is my coach but when I chatted with him about it he basically said Herbert was trying to make her look bad. But like you said, and what I said to him, doesn’t surprise me after that interview with Beth.

I’d love to have her create a thread and tell the real story. I wonder if it was a phone or email interview. Either way the thread about it doesn’t seem to be going his way either, well except for Slowman comparing her sharing a file to him wearing George Clooney’s tux. I mean those are the same things...
    “Pro” triathlete and dad to a crazy, wild, and fun little girl! So basically freaking out on a day to day basis...
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited May 2018
    No wonder it's a mess:
    "Here now is a chat ... conducted via email over the span of many days. "

But at least the comments are saying the exact same thing.
  • Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    This is just lazy journalism. I hate these, "question/answer" interviews. Ask questions, form a narrative, and include the relevant responses. Clearly Herbert's just fishing for a "yup, I cheated" answer and his agenda is demeaning to Jen's effort on the day.

Jen Annett is a super strong cyclist and she's put down some great numbers, I think her coach summed it up best in that little exchange at the end. I love how he used "trial by internet" which Slowman has been known to use from time to time.
    maggieruJennifer Post
  • Options

well except for Slowman comparing her sharing a file to him wearing George Clooney’s tux. I mean those are the same things...

That comparison is hilariously bad

• Options

well except for Slowman comparing her sharing a file to him wearing George Clooney’s tux. I mean those are the same things...

That comparison is hilariously bad

Yes that was just dumb. But nothing surprises me with that site anymore. It's like looking at the sun, I know it's bad but I can't look away!
    Robert RankinmaggieruNotSoFatLewTad_Mfyrehaar
  • Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Brave of Jen to keep the record. So many others in her situation would've terminated it.
    Robert RankinmaggieruNotSoFatLewAaron WebsteyPevashishDaulJames LangeMartin
  • Options
    maggierumaggieru Member, Pro Triathlete
    Reading this, I felt like I was sitting in a court room during cross-examination.
    "Is it TRUE that on the morning of April 29th this year, you participated in an Ironman race?"
    "And is it true that...."

I don't necessarily agree that the shortened course should be a "record" but that's no reason to approach the interview the way that they did and paint Jen in such a light. Based on what I have heard, she didn't do anything other than ride the course provided for her by Ironman.

And agreed: copy and paste email exchanges are nothing but lazy journalism.
    Aaron WebsteyRobert Rankinkjrunnin
    insta: @magrusch
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I once asked @bbculp why he took the time to actually talk to his interviewees and go through the hassle of transcribing everything himself. The answer was something like, "for me there's no other option - if I do it via email it'll come out looking like shit".

(For the record: obviously, every single #WeeklyWebstey interview was done via email, but those were always going to look like shit anyway due to interviewer incompetence.)

Oh and @jrielley1406 you are definitely allowed/encouraged to link to ST here, especially if it generates an interesting discussion. I personally try to keep my opinions about ST to myself (although I'm not 100% successful there), but other than that you should all feel free to give'r about whatever topics you like.
    jrielley1406fyrehaarmaggierubbculpPevashishDaul
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    F'ing disgusting. The discipline she exhibited to respond with such politeness and class is fairly remarkable. I'm a new fan and can't wait for her to put up more times.
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Have never done and would never do an interview via e-mail because that's not an interview.
    Aaron WebsteymaggieruJennifer Post
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    Well her time is suspiciously fast and she will not release her power records, conveniently because her coach wont allow it.

Sorry, but this shit stinks like shit.
    Mark_after_DarkZach Miller
  • Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Dark_mark said:

Well her time is suspiciously fast and she will not release her power records, conveniently because her coach wont allow it.

Sorry, but this shit stinks like shit.

And so are a lot of other athletes on a lot of other courses. I agree that these records shouldn't count and that the proper thing for guys like Hanson, Annett and Starky to do is say, "hey, if ironman wants to recognize this as a record, great, but I'm not putting it on my resume"

I find this interview, however, to be rather shallow and pedantic.
    Jennifer Postdhr
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    edited May 2018

I find this interview, however, to be rather shallow and pedantic.

quite.
  • Options
    Everyone is suspect until they put up consistent performances, I'm willing to allow her to establish a track record. Once done, then she will be like all the other pros to me, I always have some doubts regardless.
    I think this is more about the quality and tone of the article. On reflection, if the ST staff has some suspicion other than that which comes from any pro's "arrival" on the scene with an outstanding performance, then come out and be more direct and accuse the person. But start treating all folks with the same amount of trust or suspicion based on their history.
    Educate me. Does Jen or Jonny have a connection with dopers?
    Aaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member
    edited May 2018
    I was surprised to see Starky push so hard for the record to be official but it isn’t their fault, they were given that course to race on. I’d be more suspect of the fact that her coach won’t share her files if he shared others. Seems it’s kind of his policy, and a lot of professional athletes and coaches choose not to share that data.

*edit to add apparently she’s shared files from previous races. Really a lose/lose sharing this one still though IMO. Sharks smell blood

• Options
    Starky's computer registered 110.6 miles. With his math (which is hard to argue with), he would've finished somewhere in the 3:58s with an extra 1.4 miles. He knows that was the best ride in IM history and wants credit for it. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing there's a bonus from Orbea riding on it. He's got two little kids and two big dogs to feed.
    Robert RankinKenElPescadoPeladoAaron WebsteyTad_MM_WareMartinJohns622
  • Options
    DerekLDerekL Member
    edited May 2018
    She likely drafted a fair amount. He conducted a shitty "interview".

This makes it difficult to figure out which assholes to call out on Slowtwitch. Might just pick a random one this time.
    Robert RankinTad_MM_WarePevashishDaulMatt
    I think I found my tribe of assholes.
  • Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I live in Penticton and see Jen Annett out training on occasion. She is no joke. She busts her ass and her cycling is legit. Follow her on Strava and you will see what she is doing day in and day out. Who gives a shit what idiots like Herbert think. Make your own conclusions from the evidence you have. I don't think she really gives a crap about the record personally, she would rather have a podium finish as there is no $ in the bike record. An Ironman anything record is relative anyway, all the courses are different so the only real record that could make sense is within a single Ironman and the racing conditions would have to be similar each time - which is virtually impossible so like I said, who gives a shit.
    Aaron WebsteyTad_MM_WarekjrunninPevashishDaulJames Lange
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    DerekL said:

She likely drafted a fair amount.

That's the implication from ST, but not sure how you're making that conclusion. Barring direct evidence countering, we accept her performance as true.

Herbert is complete shit as a journalist. Is he a journalist? I don't know, but he is basically the embodiment of ST's understanding of candor and the place of triathlon in the world. Entirely too serious about something that doesn't matter.

On that note, I've been enjoying Phil Gaimon's "Worst Retirement Ever" Youtube series where he goes around and attacks Strava KOMs. He prefaces the entire series by stating he knows it's a complete waste of time but thinks it's hilarious that a bunch or amateurs truly believe they're talented. Reminds me of the entirety of ST.
    HSeeley14Tad_MM_WaredhrwchevronJohns622simonsen77fyrehaar
  • Options
    DerekLDerekL Member

DerekL said:

She likely drafted a fair amount.

That's the implication from ST, but not sure how you're making that conclusion. Barring direct evidence countering, we accept her performance as true.

Herbert is complete shit as a journalist. Is he a journalist? I don't know, but he is basically the embodiment of ST's understanding of candor and the place of triathlon in the world. Entirely too serious about something that doesn't matter.

On that note, I've been enjoying Phil Gaimon's "Worst Retirement Ever" Youtube series where he goes around and attacks Strava KOMs. He prefaces the entire series by stating he knows it's a complete waste of time but thinks it's hilarious that a bunch or amateurs truly believe they're talented. Reminds me of the entirety of ST.
    7 of the top 10 women's bike performances of all time came from that race. Short or not, you don't think that's fishy at all? The only direct evidence I can think of that would more or less confirm this she won't release. I'm sure she's a hell of a cyclist, but where there's smoke....
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I get why she won't release the file. Whether intentional or not, there were undoubtedly times in the race when she was drafting. She couldn't have avoided drafting for 110 miles with that many age-group men starting 10 minutes behind her. If she released her file, people would rip her apart for every drop in wattage, even though some of those times were probably her dropping back to avoid drafting. Other times she was probably drafting because it would be impossible not to.

I don't blame her, I blame Ironman for putting way too many people on course and then fucking up the distance.

It was a ridiculously fast day on a short course. There was zero wind, low humidity and they were riding on a concrete highway. Starky obviously wasn't drafting and still obliterated his PR. Even a guy like Matt Russell, who's not known for his cycling, turned in one of the fastest rides in history. And he was the one pulling the chasers for the second half of the bike. Starky would've had 25 minutes at T2 if Matt didn't go to the front and get on the gas.
    M_WaredhrAaron WebsteyPevashishDaulRobert RankinHSeeley14fyrehaar
  • Options
    DerekLDerekL Member
    bbculp said:

I get why she won't release the file. Whether intentional or not, there were undoubtedly times in the race when she was drafting. She couldn't have avoided drafting for 110 miles with that many age-group men starting 10 minutes behind her. If she released her file, people would rip her apart for every drop in wattage, even though some of those times were probably her dropping back to avoid drafting. Other times she was probably drafting because it would be impossible not to.

I don't blame her, I blame Ironman for putting way too many people on course and then fucking up the distance.

Yep and yep. Wasn't casting judgement on her. Unlike 112% of Slowtwitchers, I bet most people end up drafting at some point whether they intend to or not.

bbculpM_WareHSeeley14fyrehaar
  • Options
    Also just imagine the unintended sling shot and drafting on the second lap for her. Hell I’ve done Steelhead one year in a late wave and got a good 5 minutes from sling shot. I know it’s not legal for pros but with people all over the road I imagine it was near impossible for anyone to not gain an advantage on the second lap of the bike.
    bbculpM_WareAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member
    edited May 2018
    I think similar to assuming Orbea gave Starky a bonus, Cervelo (assuming that's still her sponsor) probably has something similar in place for her.

He doubled down on the thread and basically said she had to of cheated because she shared IMAZ info on Strava but won't share IMTX.

I don't think she intended to draft but probably got passed by more than 10 AG men if she swam a 1:02, and thought about dropping like she said. Probably just another case of Pro women having their profession screwed with by fast people who treat their hobby like a second job. There was nothing to gain from the interview, and I'm sure she regrets even doing it. I know I would
    bbculpM_WaredhrAaron WebsteyHSeeley14KenElPescadoPeladofyrehaar

• Options
    edited May 2018
    They can only race the conditions they were given, and IM should get most of the drafting flak being thrown about. It's nice to hear that Jen is out there putting great work in, thanks @HSeeley14 !
    When Jen has a few more smashing bike legs under the belt, I'll bet someone a beer that there is no significant Mea Culpa from ST, and that will completely suck.
    She's got a new fan in me. I want to see her make them eat crow.
    bbculpM_WareAaron WebsteyJennifer PostHSeeley14fyrehaar
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member

Exactly.

What a sad, joyless circle jerk much of that thread is.
    Aaron WebsteyPevashishDaulHSeeley14
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    edited May 2018
    DerekL said:

7 of the top 10 women's bike performances of all time came from that race. Short or not, you don't think that's fishy at all? The only direct evidence I can think of that would more or less confirm this she won't release. I'm sure she's a hell of a cyclist, but where there's smoke....

Maybe it is fishy. But each person has the ability to act of her own volition. Simply using that 7 of the 10 statistic does not constitute hard evidence, and it certainly doesn't prove that any one of them cheated. Starky sure as hell didn't, and he set a record, 7 or so minutes faster than the same distance/course as last year. Could have easily just been a super fast day on a dead flat course.

And a power file won't really tell you the whole story either, since there are nuances to the rules that could easily be accounted for. It's flatly impossible to "confirm" she cheated based solely off the data you get from her file. You could substantiate that claim somewhat, but it's still not undeniable proof.
    Aaron WebsteyM_WarebbculpTad_MHSeeley14fyrehaar
  • Options
    How many warnings will I get before getting banned? Just posted the question to Beth about the thought of aborting her baby. Oh well. People forget or didn’t know but they need to know the history of his sexist comments.
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @KHilgendorf I love to give you shit, but on this I agree. Also, to be fair, Jonny-O has always kept his numbers/files secret. He is a strange and interesting dude but advising his athlete not to release power files is well within his well- established MO.
    M_WareTad_MHSeeley14fyrehaar
    #KOAT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch