frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

endurance bike recs/thoughts?

simonsen77simonsen77 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
Thinking about selling my current road bike (Cervelo R3) to get something with a bit more tire clearance and disc brakes. I'd like to generally ride 28s, but have the option to go up to 30-32. I'd be ok with a more traditional race geometry, but I think to get that clearance I'll be looking at endurance frames. Which is fine - I'm old and slow, and am more likely to do gran fondos than road races.

I'm leaning towards the Canyon Endurace SL - anyone have any experience or otherwise want to weigh in? Other possibilities I think are the Cervelo C3 (hey, I can still use this BBRight crap I've accumulated), Canondale Synapse (seems to hit most marks but the teeny seatpost seems weird), Argon Krypton (CS? GF? they've got to have a gif that explains their lines), maybe a Giant Defy. The new Tarmac disc is dreamy but expensive AF.
First #BAAW Badge Recipient

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    The Krypton GF/Krypton CS is our new endurance line. Cosmetics aside, the GF has a lighter layup, and different build spec. Both come with 27mm, but can go up to 32mm.

Here's how the geometries compare to our road racing (Gallium) lineup.

MartinKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    The Krypton is pretty sweet. (@Matt did not pay me to say this.) The Defy is nice because you tend to get a better components package for the price versus some of the other brands. It's around a grand cheaper than the Cervelo in Canada for a similar spec.

Any consideration given to the 3T Exploro? It's, ahem, reassuringly expensive, but I'm curious to ride one.
  • Options
    I definitely have eyed the 3T (and Open UP). I have a gravel bike, though, and I’d probably have to sell it to justify going with a 3T. I wonder how it would be in pure road mode (but isn’t there a pro cont team using them 1X this year?)

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

I definitely have eyed the 3T (and Open UP). I have a gravel bike, though, and I’d probably have to sell it to justify going with a 3T. I wonder how it would be in pure road mode (but isn’t there a pro cont team using them 1X this year?)

I think they are using the Strada and the Exploro. They have a couple of wins already. I was curious how the 1x would hold up with a lot of pace changes, but I guess the gaps aren't too bad.
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    edited March 18
    I have an Exploro set up 1x. It’s the only bike I ride now.
    Martinsimonsen77AaronWebstey
  • Options
    @Matt after looking at this graphic, I can't say that I know anything more about bikes, but I can confidently say I need new prescription glasses.

MattTad_MCraig_D
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    dhr said:

I have an Exploro set up 1x. It’s the only bike I ride now.

What's your gearing? How do you find it on hilly roads? I'm worried about 1X on this kind of ride:

KenElPescadoPeladoAaronWebstey
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    In fairness, I've only ridden on gravel roads with any regularity the last year or so.

Mine is currently setup with 42 / 11-46. Works for me, but I also live in southeast Michigan. I don't have a problem with the hills in northern Michigan, though.

AaronWebstey

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch