frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Look at my new toy: A slowtwitch story.

doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
Let's just pause for a minute and take in the fact that this is currently the leading headline on the largest triathlon website in the world. You have the ability to publish literally anything to the world, and this is what you choose.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Indoor_Training/How_a_Woodway_treadmill_became_a_reality_6737.html

A middle aged man tells the story about how his wife let him buy a $6000 treadmill. If I saw this posted on the forums I wouldn't even look at it twice. What kind of cognitive dissonance exists where you have that much separation between what you think is a decent article to publish versus what people want to actually read. What a joke.
MartinKenElPescadoPeladoGranpa ChookM_WareTad_MRobert Rankinmaggierusimonsen77Aaron WebsteydhrfyrehaarPevashishDaulMatt

Comments

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    ST has gone downhill since H2ODave got the banhammer.

The article is painful, but I'm actually pretty jealous. I prefer running outside, but that is a sweet treadmill.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I guess they figure if people spend over $10k on a bike for a couple of seasons, what's $6k for an amazing treadmill you'll have for life? Sadly, I think this is the type of article many want to see. I think the timing is interesting though. Just weeks after statements about how tri needs to be more inclusive and lower the barriers to participation, Slowtwitch doubles down on showing tri is just a sport for middle-aged rich men.

And H20Dave got banned? What did he do? I never thought that would happen since his clicks and the clicks he influenced probably accounted for at minimum 10% of ST ad revenue.
    maggieruKelly O'MaraAaron WebsteyGranpa ChookM_Ware
  • Options
    jrielley1406jrielley1406 Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    Maybe someone needs to write an article about how I finally pulled the trigger on a treadmill when it was on sale for $899! And that was still tough to do. It lets me run at the speed it wants, isn’t super loud, fits in my basement, and I can still buy my baby diapers!
    doyoueventribroTad_MAaron WebsteyJennifer PostM_WareKenElPescadoPeladojayrod
    “Pro” triathlete and dad to a crazy, wild, and fun little girl! So basically freaking out on a day to day basis...
  • Options

I guess they figure if people spend over $10k on a bike for a couple of seasons, what's $6k for an amazing treadmill you'll have for life? Sadly, I think this is the type of article many want to see. I think the timing is interesting though. Just weeks after statements about how tri needs to be more inclusive and lower the barriers to participation, Slowtwitch doubles down on showing tri is just a sport for middle-aged rich men.

And H20Dave got banned? What did he do? I never thought that would happen since his clicks and the clicks he influenced probably accounted for at minimum 10% of ST ad revenue.

That was exactly my thoughts. It seemed like they talked up the "time to tri" and inclusion aspects of the TBI conference and then immediately went back to their old ways.
    maggieruKelly O'MaraJennifer PostM_Warefyrehaar
  • Options

Maybe someone needs to write an article about how I finally pulled the trigger on a treadmill when it was on sale for $899! And that was still tough to do. It lets me run at the speed it wants, isn’t super loud, fits in my basement, and I can still buy my baby diapers!

You're an inspiration to triathletes everywhere. I'd download the audiobook version of your biography if I had extra credits on Audible
    simonsen77jrielley1406Aaron WebsteykjrunninJennifer PostM_WarePevashishDaul
  • Options

If you think that's good, have I got a saga for you. I bought a used treadmill that broke week one. Sold said used broken treadmill. Bought shiny new treadmill. Never used it because it's broken as well. Been waiting on a month for a part from China which is apparently being rowed stateside. Glad to hear that once it gets here the treadmill does in fact work though
    simonsen77jrielley1406Aaron WebsteyJennifer PostM_WareKenElPescadoPeladoet5504

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options

You're an inspiration to triathletes everywhere. I'd download the audiobook version of your biography if I had extra credits on Audible
    Well if you don’t have audible credits I’ll alsl accept airline miles. That way I can save money and buy my daughter wipes to go with those diapers!

M_Ware
    “Pro” triathlete and dad to a crazy, wild, and fun little girl! So basically freaking out on a day to day basis...
  • Options
    Ok you win @Robert Rankin! On a happy note if it ever gets fixed it’s a really nice treadmill. Used mine a lot the last month or so. Maybe you should have spend $6k. You might have gotten your $150 shipping back. That would make it all worth it!
  • Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    But at least the women of Slowtwitch finally got to see Herbert with his shirt off.
    Robert RankinMartinTad_MAaron WebsteyJennifer PostKenElPescadoPeladoJohns622maggieruPevashishDaulMatt
  • Options

Ok you win @Robert Rankin! On a happy note if it ever gets fixed it’s a really nice treadmill. Used mine a lot the last month or so. Maybe you should have spend $6k. You might have gotten your $150 shipping back. That would make it all worth it!

I actually got my treadmill for free (see original post in "treadmill buying advice" thread, a nordictrack c900). The guy even gave me a bottle of home made wine. I'm waiting on a new belt/deck. It works OK but you can tell it wasn't properly maintained and is pretty stretched out which indicates poor alignment. It'll cost me about $250 installed.
  • Options
    It's going to be something stupid, like a loose wire too. I can't mess with it without voiding a warranty though. They told me it would be in and shipped by Feb 9th. Called yesterday and got the usual "we'll have it any day now" response. Was prepared to get a refund and return it yesterday. However when they transfer you to returns I'm convinced a phone just rings in an empty room somewhere. Between my wife and I we spent over 3 hours on hold on 2 calls. If it hasn't shipped by Friday I'm disputing with the credit card. The least Icon Fitness could do is send me a bottle of something

• Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    I am surprised he didn't write in the article about much his house costs--he has done that before.

This is also an advertisement for Zwift running--because ya' know, Sir Rapp works for Zwift so advertisement is now required for Slowtwitch.
    Granpa ChookJennifer PostM_Waremaggierufyrehaar
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Congrats on drilling your most recent marathon @Robert Rankin
    The folks at ST would be cheering the efficacy of not running on a treadmill right now if they got hold of your story. Hmmmmmm, maybe you post it there.
    You'll have a huge glut of used treadmills to choose from!
    Seriously, great job and good luck getting that treadmill (that you obviously don't need) fixed!
    Robert Rankin
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Thanks @Tad_Machrowicz but I can't help but think how much faster it would have been had I had a working treadmill the last month :) Joking there but their customer service is abysmal at best. By the time this thing is working it'll be summer.

I don't understand Zwift running. It's the same as riding Zwift on a "dumb" trainer. I'd rather watch paint dry than watch a video game character jog around on a screen.
    Tad_M

• Options
    Zwift running is kinda fun as another piece of entertainment. I run a double iPad, one with Zwift and one with Netflix. It’s fun but couldn’t do it as a stand-alone at all.
    Robert Rankin
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    bbculp said:

But at least the women of Slowtwitch finally got to see Herbert with his shirt off.

And the men! #triequal

@Robert Rankin and @jrielley1406 you guys basically *did* write an article on your treadmill sagas and it was the most popular thing on here for weeks. I probably owe you like 45 cents each in click money.
    Jennifer PostRobert RankinM_WareMartinJohns622KenElPescadoPeladofyrehaarPevashishDaulCraig_DMatt
    #KOAT
  • Options
    If you make it an even dollar I’ll run with my shirt off too @AaronWebstey! Heck I’ll sell my soul for a hundred! Ha
    Aaron WebsteyRobert RankinCraig_D
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Perfect timing. I was just about to ask about Woodways. Anyone ever run on one? I just discovered that my school gym has 3 of these (and a curve, too). Tried a couple of them yesterday and hated it. Every step transmitted a shuddering through my feet. Like the motor was straining to move. Is this normal or are these shot? I finished up my run on a normal deck that felt good (though really soft after the Woodway)
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options

Perfect timing. I was just about to ask about Woodways. Anyone ever run on one? I just discovered that my school gym has 3 of these (and a curve, too). Tried a couple of them yesterday and hated it. Every step transmitted a shuddering through my feet. Like the motor was straining to move. Is this normal or are these shot? I finished up my run on a normal deck that felt good (though really soft after the Woodway)

You’re doing it wrong.

The only way you can get the full benefit is by dropping at least $6K on one. Otherwise you’re just running on a treadmill.

Aaron WebsteyM_WareMartinJohns622KenElPescadoPeladoCraig_DMattkjrunnin
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

I used to run on Woodways at my old gym. I thought they were amazing. I have bad knees and running on a Woodway was the only time I could run without pain. My guess is the ones the school has might be shot. Or, maybe just the high-end commercial ones are the ones that are amazing.

• Options
    dhr said:

You’re doing it wrong.

The only way you can get the full benefit is by dropping at least $6K on one. Otherwise you’re just running on a treadmill.

Probably. Who spends $25 a month on a gym that has child care and maintains all the equipment for you when you could pay 250 times that on a used treadmill without a warranty?
    Aaron WebsteyMartinJennifer PostKenElPescadoPeladodhrfyrehaar
  • Options

I used to run on Woodways at my old gym. I thought they were amazing. I have bad knees and running on a Woodway was the only time I could run without pain. My guess is the ones the school has might be shot. Or, maybe just the high-end commercial ones are the ones that are amazing.

That's what I figured based on how everyone lauds them. One is down for service, so when it's back up I'll jump on it and see if it's life changing.
  • Options

If you make it an even dollar I’ll run with my shirt off too @AaronWebstey! Heck I’ll sell my soul for a hundred! Ha

Round it to an even dollar and I won't run with my shirt off
    Aaron Websteyjrielley1406KenElPescadoPeladoCraig_D

• Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    edited February 2018
    I agree with @Jennifer Post about how nice the Woodways are in creating a natural response for running. I don't think "soft" is necessarily correct for the body @KHilgendorf , but to each his/her own. I would bet there's a maintenance issue on those machines you tried. LifeFitness centers have Woodways typically, and maintain well. Perhaps try one there to see if you have a different impression.
    Either way, I think their pricing is ridiculous even for their quality.
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I found a guy trying to sell some on Craigslist in this area for $2,500.00 so there's that
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer
  • Options

I found a guy trying to sell some on Craigslist in this area for $2,500.00 so there's that

Can you test them out? I’m sure I can find enough slowtwitchers up here in Chicago to sell to. Might be able to flip them for a pretty penny.

Jennifer PostPreachSwanson
  • Options
    At least it prevented another "Swim-Run" story from leading the Twitch front page...never mind - it only temporarily prevented it.
    Aaron WebsteyMartin
  • Options

I am surprised he didn't write in the article about much his house costs--he has done that before.

which is very, very un-German of ze German.
    Aaron WebsteyMartinJennifer PostPevashishDaul
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete

That's what I figured based on how everyone lauds them. One is down for service, so when it's back up I'll jump on it and see if it's life changing.
    Yea, there are like 4-5 different models of treadmill in the Rec Center at school here. I avoid running on the treadmil whenever possible, but the handful of Woodways available make it far more tolerable. At my size and speed, cheap treadmills are crazy sketchy and I feel like the belt skips a bit with each step, but the Woodway's motor/belt seem to be worth a bit of the hype.
    But it's still running inside, so.....
    Aaron Webstey

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch