frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Schoeman

https://sputniknews.com/world/201801171060833854-olympics-doping-schoeman-tested/

Not at all surprised by this considering he couldn't have been more blatant with his praise of his medical support staff directly after the Olympics. There is some shady things here, since he declared taking it a month previous to the test.

Oh and corruption.

Comments

• Options
    Granpa ChookGranpa Chook Member
    edited January 2018
    bla fucking bla ... get sick weeks before event, take lots of meds, get sick again, take some more and race.
    https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/sport/2016-08-25-how-top-medical-team-revived-schoemans-dream-in-rio/

(says he was sick three weeks before event here) https://www.iol.co.za/olympics-rio-2016/iolympics-sacrifices-paid-off-says-henris-biggest-fan-2059377
  • Options
    I would hold off a bit here based on the source of the info. Sputnik news is not necessarily the epitome of journalistic integrity and I have seen no other corroboration at this point outside of other message boards citing this same article. He may well have had a TUE for it or they may simply be making it up. Setting aside people's feelings on TUE's, if he had one, then the finding did not break any rules.

Of course, he could be a lying cheater who cheats - but again, consider the source at this point.
  • Options
    Sure Sputnik news is pretty suspect, and somebody could have forged that, but I think that's very unlikely. I think that it's much more likely to be true. I think it's clear he didn't have a TUE when he declared the medication. No backdating is going to help you there.

The loopholes need to be closed. If he is sick enough to warrant using a prohibited substance, he should not be racing with it in his system, and there should be a longer time until he is allowed to race (not 7+ days out - that's insane).

• Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    It was the electrical muscle stimulation that helped him run better than he ever has before (and right after a sickness!). Duh....

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/athletics/bronze-medalist-schoeman-praises-medical-experts-2060964
    Tad_MJennifer PostKenElPescadoPeladoAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    edited January 2018
    We've promptly launched an investigation.........
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sport-doping-triathlon-schoeman/triathlon-itu-launches-investigation-into-schoeman-allegations-idUSKBN1F72ZL

On the bright side, they won't have to spend alot on international courier fees to get the medal to Richard Murray.
    MartinKenElPescadoPeladofyrehaarGranpa Chookidking90
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Will be interesting if the ITU takes action. How do they handle the 2016 ITU series champion? From what I read elsewhere on the internet (therefore it's true) if Schoeman is somehow suspended or has his results revoked due to that positive, that would arguably include his win at Cozumel. Jonathan Brownlee came in second there - if he is elevated to the top step as a result of Schoeman's DQ then that makes Brownlee, not Mola, the 2016 ITU Series Champion.
    Granpa ChookAaron Websteyidking90PreachSwanson
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I agree it will be interesting what the ITU might do if he loses his Olympic medal. Even more complicated than usual since Brownlee was assisted by his brother in the race and ITU made a rule change after that.

RashAaron Webstey
  • Options
    They ruled the action was legal at the time, they are not going to retroactively change the assistance rule if it turns out Schoeman was doping.
    RashJennifer PostTad_MAaron Webstey
  • Options
    BTW, this was all immediately suspicious. At the time. I had a brief and typically vague Twitter exchange with Paulo about this at the time. Basically, I asked Pablo if he thought he could've gotten Pred in order to race and do it with a TUE. Paulo was calling bullshit on this immediately. It was totally and completely blatant and obvious. I assumed that he must've gotten a TUE and my own cynical brain thought that he was faking the illness and going through a charade in order to justify the TUE for Pred and not get busted.

All of this was just so out in the open it was amazing. His own father said that like 48h before the race he was sicker than he'd ever seen him and that he could barely make it to the pre-race briefing. Just sat there with his hood on or something. Then 48h later in a hot, humid climate on a tough course, he crushes it for a bronze against a great field? No fucking way.

The level of ridiculousness was Trumpian.
    Granpa ChookTad_M
  • Options
    I remember thinking it was ridiculous too but I did buy into him being sick. I just assumed he got shot up with some type of undetectable super dope before the race. Somehow, if his whole illness before the games was just a farce, that seems even worse to me.
    Tad_MAaron WebsteyCraig_D
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    How pissed do you think Richard Murray is over this?

• Options

How pissed do you think Richard Murray is over this?

mad enough to flip everyone off.
    MartinCraig_Didking90Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    I think Murray is too pre-occupied these days for anger!

MartinRobert RankinPreachSwansonKenElPescadoPeladoAaron Webstey
  • Options
    https://www.triathlon.org/news/article/statement_regarding_mr._henri_schoeman

That was quick.

But, was it fake documents that were released?

Or, was there a urine test that showed prednisone (or prednisolone, can't remember which one) but it wasn't a violation?

Are they just covering up the cover up?
    simonsen77Granpa Chookidking90Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    SralstonSralston Member, Pro Triathlete

https://www.triathlon.org/news/article/statement_regarding_mr._henri_schoeman

That was quick.

But, was it fake documents that were released?

Or, was there a urine test that showed prednisone (or prednisolone, can't remember which one) but it wasn't a violation?

Are they just covering up the cover up?

"The professionalism and openness shown by Henri Schoeman should be an example for any athlete that could face a situation like this. " Umm right so only addressing this about 1.5 years later is professional.......
    Martin
  • Options
    I vote for Emily’s option 3. Covering the cover up.
    simonsen77M_WarerangamelKenElPescadoPeladoMartin
  • Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I've reached out to ITU, IOC and WADA today and all I've gotten back is, "We consider the matter resolved to the satisfaction of all parties and will not take further questions."

They're making this so much worse than it needs to be.
    James LangeMattGranpa ChookPevashishDaulRobert RankinJennifer PostTad_MIanLMartinAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
    Can someone explain this to me? ITU says 'oh it's resolved, there was no adverse finding.' But he also says he's never applied for a TUE or failed a test. So are they saying 'oops was a mistake, he didn't have prednisone in his system?'

Basically, at first I thought they were saying 'oh, it's fine, we found the TUE, all good.' But now I'm confused, because that doesn't appear to be what they're saying. So what are they saying?
    Granpa ChookPevashishDaulidking90Jennifer PostTad_M
  • Options
    Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
    Oh, I guess they're saying it was all lies, and fake news, right?

Can someone explain this to me? ITU says 'oh it's resolved, there was no adverse finding.' But he also says he's never applied for a TUE or failed a test. So are they saying 'oops was a mistake, he didn't have prednisone in his system?'

Basically, at first I thought they were saying 'oh, it's fine, we found the TUE, all good.' But now I'm confused, because that doesn't appear to be what they're saying. So what are they saying?

• Options
    dhrdhr Member
    I don’t care about doping.

With my steady diet of pizza & beer, somebody who eats a salad from time to time may as well be doping, as far as I’m concerned.
    bbculpRobert RankinCraig_DTad_MJohns622KenElPescadoPeladoJames LangeMartinAaron WebsteyStruang
  • Options
    What a shitshow. Too big to fail? Spineless bastards
  • Options
    The Armstrong response: "I've never tested positive".

Incredibly reassuring.
    MartinAaron Webstey
  • Options
    bbculp said:

I've reached out to ITU, IOC and WADA today and all I've gotten back is, "We consider the matter resolved to the satisfaction of all parties and will not take further questions."

They're making this so much worse than it needs to be.

Who falls under the "all parties" that are satisfied? Serious question. Is it just ITU, IOC, and WADA? Could individual athletes file something in CAS? Tough with Murray being from same federation as Schoeman but could someone else that lost out on a larger performance bonus file a grievance to get records? Similar to how we have FOIA, is there something that athletes can use to force release of official findings?
    KenElPescadoPeladoGranpa Chook
  • Options
    Good points @Kelly O'Mara @EmilyCocks and @Jennifer Post

I've posted a poll. I'm considering a letter to ITU Anti Doping director Leslie Buchanan... He/She can't really attack me since I don't race for any livelihood and I certainly don't dope in any way. But maybe the ITU is the wrong place to write..... They have to protect their "corporation", maybe a letter to WADA is better......
    or maybe I should just breakdown and go complain to my doctor in my best whiny little victim voice about my ridiculously low T.

http://triroost.com/discussion/3191/itu-ioc-wada-etc-and-schoeman#latest
    KenElPescadoPeladoJennifer Post
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
  • Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Leslie is a she, and she's one of the most passionate and educated anti-doping activists I know. Unfortunately she works for a federation and has very little power. Go ahead and write the letter, but you'll never hear anything back and nothing will change.
    James LangeTad_MAaron Webstey
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    edited January 2018
    found this interesting

Could actually all just be a few simple mistakes with spelling and dates - however the lack of any explanation keeps this looking very suspicious.
    Granpa ChookJennifer PostTad_MPevashishDaul
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited January 2018
    Rash said:
    Prednisone, foxair (because no top endurance athletes seem to be capable of racing without an inhaler), and a gonorrhea medication (antibacterial, also used for bronchitis)

We'll know if he's dirty at the next ITU race, because if it's true Richard Murray will smash things, swear at everyone, and maybe body slam a random drug tester for good measure.
    Tad_MPevashishDaulAaron Webstey
  • Options
    @bbculp , thats cool to hear about her. Even if the ship is a bit too big to turn, it all begins by having the right people!!!
    bbculpJames Lange
  • Options
    If she was that great and such a believer in anti doping she would have all the top 20 athletes in the out of comp testing pool, Blummenfeldt finished third in series but is not on it, and has not been on it for as far back as I can find. What's with that? The lists have been pretty much the same for numerous 2x yearly cycles, why have they not changed to add in athletes as they start to achieve top results. If you are good enough to podium you really should be there.
    Tad_MGranpa Chook
  • Options
    Chris said:

If she was that great and such a believer in anti doping she would have all the top 20 athletes in the out of comp testing pool, Blummenfeldt finished third in series but is not on it, and has not been on it for as far back as I can find. What's with that? The lists have been pretty much the same for numerous 2x yearly cycles, why have they not changed to add in athletes as they start to achieve top results. If you are good enough to podium you really should be there.

Where do you find the out-of-comp testing pool list?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch