frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Go Fund Yourself

bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
Some other triathlon media outlets deemed this too harsh to post. Luckily for us, Ben isn't a complete pussy. Thoughts?
http://trstriathlon.com/go-fund-yourself/
wchevronsimonsen77Aaron WebsteykjrunninCraig_DRobert RankinMartinJennifer PostGranpa ChookDerekLJames LangeMamaCheetahTad_MHSeeley14

Comments

• Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    The article sums up my thoughts exactly.
    bbculpM_WareHSeeley14
  • Options
    simonsen77simonsen77 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Glad to see more than 140 (err 280, fu @jack) characters on this. Yeah, I agree the way she did this is a crock, and like the suggestion to donate it to the Kyle Pease foundation.

That being said, I think there might be a way to do this without being a jackass. No one seemed to give Vaughters shit for his gofundme for Slipstream, and he says the support actually strengthened his position seeking sponsors.

If she had used that angle - hey, support me basically to help me show my marketability to sponsors, maybe this wouldn’t look so bad. Probably would be more effective after a year or two of Cody Beals type transparency though.
    Aaron WebsteybbculpCraig_D
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Yeah, this article just led me to kick off my Holiday charity campaign with a $25 donation to World Bicycle Relief. Feel free to pile on donations.
    M_WarebbculpAaron Websteysimonsen77kjrunnin
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    In lieu of giving my Secret Santa a gift, I'm going to make a donation to the Go Fund Me in their honor.
    M_WareCraig_DAaron Websteysimonsen77MartinItsShugmaggieruHSeeley14
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Me: "hey @bbculp why don't you post a link to your article on the Roost and watch the fireworks!"

Roost:

Craig_DwchevronKenElPescadoPeladoNotSoFatLewTad_M
    #KOAT
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    "“The main reason I created the GoFundMe was for friends and family who requested it." Bullshit. Why would your friends and family choose to gift you money through a platform that keeps 8% (or so) of the money when they can give you cash or transfer money for free?
    M_WareCraig_DbbculpAaron WebsteyRobert RankinTad_MHSeeley14

• Options

"“The main reason I created the GoFundMe was for friends and family who requested it." Bullshit. Why would your friends and family choose to gift you money through a platform that keeps 8% (or so) of the money when they can give you cash or transfer money for free?

Family members and friends were already tired of being asked for money and told her to set up a go fund me account in the hopes they could get off the hook :D
    Craig_DKenElPescadoPeladoEvilTwinwchevronbbculpAaron WebsteyJennifer PostTad_M
  • Options
    I seriously can’t believe people are giving to this “cause”. I’ve seen people defend her (and share this article) via Facebook. I think its stupid for an age grouper to ask to fund their vacation cough*race*cough but have no idea why people would defend a pro begging like this. Friends and family transfers on PayPal are free. Read somewhere her father in law is Martin Dingman? If that’s true that makes this even more laughable.

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited December 2017

Read somewhere her father in law is Martin Dingman? If that’s true that makes this even more laughable.

If true then this could explain everything about that family.

kjrunninItsShugbbculp
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing the link. I was in the market for a $550 wallet made from a slaughtered alligator.
    Aaron WebsteyTad_M
  • Options
    Johns622Johns622 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Nooooooo it’s happening again! And this guy happens to be in my own tri club.
    https://www.gofundme.com/levistriathloncareer

Also, my gofundme for “post-race recovery beverages” will start soon
    mbrekk44kjrunnin
  • Options
    Yikes $10k? 4:40 at Ohio 70.3 last year with a 1:43 run. Either really bad day or long way to go for a pro card

• Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    That guy seems legit. They don't just hand out Ironman All World Athletes (Bronze Levels) to anyone.

I'm no NCAA expert, but wouldn't racing as a pro make him ineligible to be an athlete at Liberty University?
    EvanKenElPescadoPeladokjrunninmaggieruAaron Webstey

• Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    edited January 2018
    @James Lange triathlon only exists in NCAA for a relatively small number of women’s programs. Otherwise, it’s a club sport for all men and the vast majority of women’s teams as well. Some schools, Liberty being one of them, do actually manage their club teams very similar to a traditional varsity sport, but without the NCAA status or restrictions (recruiting contact, practice time restrictions, involvement of outside entities)
    However, USAT does have a special “elite collegiate” designator that (I believe) has the same qualification criteria as an ordinary elite license (proper terminology for a “pro card”). This license allows you to enter elite fields (that being, ITU races and any other race with a prize purse >$5,000) except you can’t win prize money. I know a handful of college swimmers and runners (and presumably all the ladies with elite licenses in the NCAA programs) who had or have that license to be able to race where they want to and belong, but don’t want to jeopardize NCAA status.
    James LangeAaron Webstey
  • Options
    I may have missed it, but didn't see him expressly say he is on an athletic scholarship. For whatever reason I took it to mean he is a poor student looking to fund his triathlon career while studying at and paying for school.
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member
    edited January 2018
    Rash said:

I may have missed it, but didn't see him expressly say he is on an athletic scholarship. For whatever reason I took it to mean he is a poor student looking to fund his triathlon career while studying at and paying for school.

The amount of races he did last year, and the travel involved, he came off far from poor to me. Just bought a brand new BMC even as well.

I just found a local 18 year old kid trying to get $2000 to fund IM Chatt playing the student angle as well

• Options
    SralstonSralston Member, Pro Triathlete
    idking90 said:

@James Lange triathlon only exists in NCAA for a relatively small number of women’s programs. Otherwise, it’s a club sport for all men and the vast majority of women’s teams as well. Some schools, Liberty being one of them, do actually manage their club teams very similar to a traditional varsity sport, but without the NCAA status or restrictions (recruiting contact, practice time restrictions, involvement of outside entities)
    However, USAT does have a special “elite collegiate” designator that (I believe) has the same qualification criteria as an ordinary elite license (proper terminology for a “pro card”). This license allows you to enter elite fields (that being, ITU races and any other race with a prize purse >$5,000) except you can’t win prize money. I know a handful of college swimmers and runners (and presumably all the ladies with elite licenses in the NCAA programs) who had or have that license to be able to race where they want to and belong, but don’t want to jeopardize NCAA status.

@idking90 is correct. As one of those athletes that has a "pro" card while being an NCAA athlete. Also we can not get sponsored. Its like being at a strip club, we can look all we want, pay for lap dances BUT we are not allowed to touch. :angry:
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    @Robert Rankin I wasn't buying he was a poor student, I just thought that was the angle he was going for.
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Update on Danielle Dingman - she finished 7th (of 12 FPROs - DFL in the swim by 5+ minutes) at 70.3 Campeche, and has suckered donors out of $2705 through her Gofundme. Looks like she should be putting more of that money toward swim coaching.
    Johns622Tad_MHSeeley14fyrehaar
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    @KenElPescadoPelado Tower26 to the rescue-----also known as get your ass in the pool and swim hard and a lot because there are no shortcuts. That's how I say it. Want to swim faster, swim lots and quit making excuses.
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaron WebsteyM_WareCraig_DJohns622StruangTad_Mfyrehaar
  • Options
    PevashishDaulPevashishDaul Member, POTM
    Dreams are pesky.
    MartinAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Swimming is pesky.
    MartinkjrunninTad_MAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    I guess it was cheaper to race Campeche than travel all the way to IM Texas 70.3.
    Gotta watch the budget when you're operating on a shoestring!
    Aaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladombrekk44M_Ware
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Speaking of which, instead of my typical monthly vacay to Wisconsin, I've decided to go to Jamaica in April. Turns out it's more expensive than going to Wisconsin. I don't have enough money to drink the amount of rum I'd like to drink. My Venmo is brad-culp. Thank you all in advance.
    Aaron WebsteyCraig_DM_WarewchevronHSeeley14
  • Options
    Saw Danielle at the St. Louis triathlon today. Told her good job, no thank you or anything...
    Aaron WebsteyM_WareCraig_D
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    @Johns622 she finished 9th at Chattanooga 70.3 today...
  • Options
    And now it all makes more sense... she has a doppelgänger
    KenElPescadoPeladoRobert RankinTad_M
  • Options
    Dreams are still pesky.
    kjrunninKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    bbculp said:

Dreams are still pesky.

That's some serious thread recall @bbculp ! You obviously didn't drink enough in April in Jamaica. Sworry.
    Aaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    @Tad_Machrowicz it was way too hot to drink so I just got super high instead.
    Tad_Mmbrekk44

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch