frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Aero Talk

Where would I be able to buy more time, aero helmet or aero wheels?

TRS West

Comments

• Options
    BTW, I would also never be brave enough to post this on Slowtwitch.
    Theo_MurMan

TRS West

• Options
    $$$ / increase I seem to remember it going to Helmet. Of course, I'm a big fan of looking fast, not necessarily being fast. So I'd say wheels. Flame on!

danimal

Reformed Canadian
  • Options
    Proper fit -> helmet -> good aero trisuit -> wheels.
    BryantMark_after_DarkRyan HeislerAaron WebsteyHSeeley14TheoJames LangeRobert RankinScheck48

TRS East

• Options
    Thanks guys. Looks like I just need to get both! ;)

TRS West

• Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    @Duckies but wheels look the coolest
    Duckies
  • Options
    Dark_Mark said:

@Duckies but wheels look the coolest

Are you saying sperm hats aren't badass, triathlete? DSP!

And a good fit makes you look pro as fuck, doesn't matter what bike you're on. That flat back makes you feel like you're racking on the carpet, despite being way the hell out in AG'ville.
    HSeeley14Ryan HeislerAaron Webstey

TRS East

• Options
    It's been said before, but for wheels, there are tons of cheap options for the front and just get a cover for the rear. Max aero bonus per $ spent.

seems like kind of an asshole =)

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    edited February 2015
    100% agree @Duckies - I'm banking on that this summer! Who cares if your tubes are round if nobody can see em from behind you :)
    Duckies
    #KOAT
  • Options
    I have an aero helmet and it's fine. But riding on race wheels I swear to god makes you feel like The Proper Starkey out there. So smooth.

TRS WEST

• Options

I have an aero helmet and it's fine. But riding on race wheels I swear to god makes you feel like The Proper Starkey out there. So smooth.

Try a quality set of training wheels, man. FLO 30s with GP4KS or similar will feel just as good, and are under 500/set, shipped to your door.

No, I'm not giving up my 72/90 or disc. Do as I say, not as I do.

TRS East

• Options
    "I'd rather look good and lose than look bad and win" = wheels > helmet. And no need to get a silly sperm helmet, plenty of equally aero helmets out there. Depending on what wind tunnel data they are manipulating for you. If you're going long distance I'd prefer comfort helmet wise. BUT GET THE WHEELS!

Polletta ~ TRS West

• Options
    _MurMan_MurMan Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited February 2015
    I just got the Tri evade and its perfect look, right between sperm hat and classy. So currently shopping for race wheels if anyone has some they are looking to unload.

Sean Murnane - East Coast Hooligan

• Options
    @_MurMan I also have the Evade, perfect tri helmet.

Polletta ~ TRS West

• Options
    @Jason41 but is it the Evade Tri with the fancy new magnetic buckle, they told me should be safe??

But really, I do love it. I tried on a couple different lids and none of them felt right or looked good. But the Evade was perfect.

• Options
    @_MurMan I don't have the fancy magnet buckle - kicking it old school. usually Specialized helmets don't fit me, but the Evade fit me perfect.

The only drawback I have heard is it gets hot when you're not moving. My take on that is if you're stopped during a triathlon, maybe Team in Training is a better place to start your tri career!

let me know how the magnet works. I've had a pretty gnarly crash so I'm pretty anal about my helmets.

Polletta ~ TRS West

• Options
    @Jason41 I was totally kidding. I bought the "tri" version cause it came in matte black and no logos could really be seen. @Duckies told me its a pretty solid helmet. Ive only used it once or twice since I got it in december. So no feedback on getting hot, sorry. But the magnet this is kinda cool once you get used to it.

• Options
    @Duckies I fucking love Aero 72s. The only other wheel I can think of that I've ridden that comes close are 808 Firecrest tubulars.

You put those on the build Ryan a bike spreadsheet though, right? :))
    Duckies
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    _MurMan said:

I bought the "tri" version cause it came in matte black and no logos could really be seen.

Not to go off on a rant, but why is it that the primary/default color for pretty much any helmet manufacturer (other than POC) out there is black? I mean, it's not like cyclists and triathletes don't have a hard enough time as it is being seen by automotive traffic and regularly end up on the ground thanks to them... Is it too much to ask for helmets to come in a color that grabs attention, as opposed to one that is essentially camouflage?

*end rant*

kevinschummer

seems like kind of an asshole =)

• Options
    Helmet, sleeved suit (Pearl Izumi keeps winning at the velodrome), Aero 30 close tube the head tube...of course. ;) Get any rear disc or a disc cover. Too many wheels that say they are all the fastest. @duckies and I talk about this a lot. I really hope a comprehensive and objective comparative test is done soon. Oh...and don't put round bottles on your frame and have as few cables exposed as possible.
    Ryan HeislerTheoPreachSwansonItsShugDuckiesRobert Rankin
  • Options
    @Theo I usually have a on a brightly colored jersey. I just can't stand multi-colored helmets. Or logos that stand out like red on black or green on white (which seems to be popular). So I figure the all black is better than nothing! But I am a fan of your neon yellow giro lol I looked at that in the blue. But it had stupid white and black stripes on it.

But I agree with your rant, at least for training there should be helmets that stand out!

• Options

Too many wheels that say they are all the fastest. @duckies and I talk about this a lot. I really hope a comprehensive and objective comparative test is done soon.

I'm working on it! Funding this year is going towards Kona and Interbike, but if I get any spare I'm going to the tunnel and bringing everyone's "fastest" wheel and tire combo to see who really comes out on top.

@rrheisler Reynolds Aero 72/90 is freaking cheating, as far as I'm concerned. They're they only combination I've ridden that I actually felt that way about - Zipp 404/808 feel unstable and slow to me, not to mention brake like crap. Reynolds Aeros are about as perfect a set of wheels as I have ever ridden - fast, brake well, stable, just fantastic.

That said, Knight Composites is the new guys on the block, and I'll have a set for test soon. If they beat Reynolds in my (completely unscientific) test regimen, I'll be very surprised given their shape (more Zipp than Reynolds).

TRS East

• Options
    @Duckies I found the 72s to be a little finicky in terms of keeping running at 100%. That said, when 100% they were phenomenal.

808 Firecrests never bothered me, with the exception of me racing 2012 Rev3 Maine with an unglued rear (LONG story) and damn near rolling the thing off on a downhill right hand corner at 33 MPH. But that said, they definitely had the most forgiving ride. I also never raced them in big wind, so I can't speak to that experience.
    Duckies
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    edited February 2015
    For the wheel lovers, Flo disk 10speed on eBay $500
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer
  • Options
    The one thing holding me back on Flo (besides current finances!) is the weight and the topography around here.
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    rrheisler said:

The one thing holding me back on Flo (besides current finances!) is the weight and the topography around here.

Where's Jack Mott when you need him...

Right here.

TRS East

• Options
    @Duckies why go and buy Flos when I can go to south Florida, do some riding with you and @Dark_Mark, kick you in the shins and take your Aero 72/90s?

Or eventually just get a deep front and a disc cover for a whopping $400 invested.
    Duckies
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    @rrheisler Hate to tell you, my friend, but my DA is running FLO 60/90s. The Reynolds are on another editor's bike. But I'll pick up a set for my Falco build, just to make you feel better.

Want a set of FLOs, color matched to a 2012 DA4? I could be persuaded to part with them...

TRS East

• Options
    Note to self: use Google stalking skills while at the office to find other editor's home location.

In re: FLOs: sure, so long as my long-standing offer of three $2 bills and a sixer of Nattie Ice is valid.
    Duckies
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    Nobody mentioned tri spokes so I'm feeling self conscious. What's wrong with them? Other than its impossible to find a 19mm clincher. Being big I was looking for a bombproof wheel. Ride my tri spokes daily and throw on a disc for races. I have no proof they're fast, but look fast (even with a 22mm tire)

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options

Nobody mentioned tri spokes so I'm feeling self conscious. What's wrong with them? [...] I have no proof they're fast, but look fast (even with a 22mm tire)

That's because the data says they're pretty slow.

Here's a good study from a while back.

2011 Test with 808 vs H3D

In short, the tri-spoke is slower than an 80-90 deep wheel from 4-5 years ago. Which means that it's slower than modern 60s. Eyeballs are a terrible wind tunnel, and worse CFD systems.

TRS East

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch