frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Another “my supplement was contaminated with Ostarine” situation

Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member
edited December 2017 in Main
Let us speculate about the supplement... if the story is as told, I hope the supplement company is held responsible

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though

Comments

• Options
    SralstonSralston Member, Pro Triathlete
    As a first year pro I have no idea who to believe. Every person who has every tested positive say they never took any. How am I suppose to have people to look up to and look for guidance? I know Lucas and have raced against him after his positive at Placid. Was I racing a clean athlete or not? I don't know. It was a small prize purse but Lucas won money at Boston Triathlon and I got second to him and less prize money. Will I every see that back? Probably not.
    Robert RankinItsShugCraig_DM_WareAaron WebsteymaggieruGasBombGranpa Chook
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    @Sralston thanks for that perspective. I don’t know him at all, just follow through social media. Listened to some of the podcast, and had to laugh. His coach makes mention to Beth Mckenzie’s case and how he assumed guilty right away, but knows Luke isn’t. Who knows what to believe without knowing/hearing the supplement makers side.

The part I keep getting hung up on is him saying he didn’t even know what Ostarine was until the positive test. Been mentioned quite a bit the last year or two and I don’t even get tested.
    M_Waremaggieru

• Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Agree with @Robert Rankin ,
    If you are a "pro", and don't know what it is, then IMO, you have not even begun to fulfill the basic requirements of professional conduct and should be stripped of your pro status.
    This sport needs serious pros!!!!!
    Robert RankinGasBombGranpa Chook
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    This is precisely why WADA and most national ADAs tell you to not take anything. You’re on a supplement to gain advntage, so they’re already a moral grey area. If you take a supplement that has been tainted, or you knowingly take something banned, you’re SOL.
    M_WareCraig_DTad_MKenElPescadoPeladoGranpa ChookGasBomb
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @Sralston - Assuming your parents aren't athletes with tainted supplements in their history, I would just look up to them. Most athletes are crap role models.
    Aaron WebsteyCraig_DSralstonidking90Tad_MKenElPescadoPeladoGranpa Chook
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    How would someone do a full without some sort of supplements? Serious question. I’m not at all saying he’s not responsible, but companies should be able to guarantee what’s in their product. He implies he’s using a bigger name brand unlike Barnett. So who knows how many unknowingly took a banned substance? At some point the company needs to be held responsible for selling tainted product. This is all assuming his story is true.
    Tad_M

• Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

How would someone do a full without some sort of supplements?

Depending on your definition of supplements (does nutrition like HEED or Skratch count?) you can easily survive with on-course provisions. Even at the elite level. Though perhaps that level will diminish slightly because they're no longer using "tainted" supplements. You need sugar for energy. And maybe a bit of salt (debatable). Eat a damn banana and drink some gatorade endurance.
  • Options
    Technically speaking wouldn’t HEED and Skrarch both be supplements? Hammer was sued for a similar situation in the past even. I would think banning all supplements would leave athletes with only actual food and Gatorade endurance (only out of the bottle, no premixed powder because of risk of contamination). Not everyone can handle solids (me) which they’d be stuck with without supplements.
    fyrehaarKelly O'Mara

• Options
    Let's hope he can show a systematic pattern of sampling and logging all his nutrition/supplement products. I would assume pros do this and hold these samples for some period of time.
    MartinJennifer Post
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

Let's hope he can show a systematic pattern of sampling and logging all his nutrition/supplement products. I would assume pros do this and hold these samples for some period of time.

Thanks. I needed a laugh tonight.
    kjrunninKenElPescadoPeladoRobert RankinAaron WebsteyTad_M
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Martin said:

@Sralston - Assuming your parents aren't athletes with tainted supplements in their history, I would just look up to them. Most athletes are crap role models.

Martin
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    Per WADA: There are in fact products that contain ostarine, but only illegal ones. Given that ostarine is not approved for human use or consumption in the U.S., or in any other country, there are no legal medications that contain ostarine.

So if you are buying your supplements from a proper above board company and you feel they are contaminated then there better be lawsuits because they are apparently doing illegal things. Or you knowingly decided to take a substance you know has it in it (which apparently is easy enough to find in the body building world says Google hit #2).
    Aaron WebsteyTad_MMamaCheetah
  • Options
    i always leave these conversations with, "man, i should take ostarine, it sounds like it really works!*"

AM I RIGHT?!?!?!?

*joke
    kjrunninGasBombCraig_DTad_MMamaCheetahMartinNotSoFatLew

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    Not so fast @Matt , I hear this contest pulls blood from all podium winners....

M_WareMattCraig_DEvanwchevronRobert RankinMartinKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    MamaCheetahMamaCheetah Member, POTM
    edited December 2017
    Evan said:

i always leave these conversations with, "man, i should take ostarine, it sounds like it really works!*"

AM I RIGHT?!?!?!?

I hear they also help with Fantasy TdF rankings. @Evan, let's see if we can get a 2 for 1 deal.

M_WareGasBomb
  • Options
    In the podcast (goddammit i have too much time) he mentions that it was a salt supplement that an IM world champ has taken, which led him to believe that it was a clean product. He tested the product and found osterine out of a sealed container.

It sucks if truly inadvertent, but my sympathy is running low for this. Supplements testing positive (or using that as an excuse) has been in the news for a long time. As a professional you need to do your homework. How can you not know what Ostarine is? Did he train on this supplement everyday for years? How did trace amount in one batch lead to a positive?

The sheer lack of any drug testing in long distance triathlon, and the amount of ostarine "contaminated" positives, should show that the supplement industry is totally fucking bogus.

He had Herbalife as a sponsor on his kit, probably as a Wattie Ink team sponsor. I hope he has enough sense to not use that crap. If I used supplements, I wouldn't touch a Herbalife supplement with a ten foot pole attached to a remote control drone.
    Aaron WebsteyM_WareRobert RankinCraig_DTad_MGasBombKenElPescadoPeladoRyan Heisler
  • Options
    Listened to the podcast too (audio sucked), and he seems like a decent guy. Still not buying he had no idea what Ostarine is though. At some point he's going to have to throw the salt supplement company under the bus to clear his name. From a legal standpoint, what does he have to lose by naming them now? I'd assume he's already made contact with them. He's got independent lab testing that their product is contaminated.

I didn't know Herbalife was a thing in the states still. I know it's really big in South America still, or was last year. I'll give him a pass there and hope he's just an up and comer doing what he has to do. Guess they don't do salt pills though?
    Granpa ChookKenElPescadoPelado

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    After your run yesterday @Robert Rankin , I have no choice but to assume that you're on the gear. If you have a problem with that, please consult my mentors/personal heroes @uli and @TheActualPaulo .
    GasBombsimonsen77kjrunninRobert RankinTad_M
    #KOAT
  • Options

From a legal standpoint, what does he have to lose by naming them now?

I'm no longer a real lawyer, however revealing them now would cost him $$$. The company will pay more if they can keep their name from ever getting out.

Some will argue he should out them, however he can make more money on this settlement than he will ever make as a mid-tier pro triathlete. He will likely be able to get a reduced suspension and return to racing with some cash in his pocket to fuel his hobby - whether he races as a pro or AGer. Sure his reputation will be damaged, but based on most comments on these situations that's not going to change whether or not he wins a lawsuit. He, and anyone else who tests positive, are pretty much in a no win situation from a reputation standpoint.
    Aaron WebsteyRobert RankinTad_M
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM

After your run yesterday @Robert Rankin , I have no choice but to assume that you're on the gear. If you have a problem with that, please consult my mentors/personal heroes @uli and @TheActualPaulo .

I just assume anyone faster than me is on the gear! So that includes your beautiful fat ass @AaronWebstey and most of the people on TriRoost. xoxo

simonsen77Aaron WebsteykjrunninRobert RankinTad_MKenElPescadoPeladoMamaCheetah

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    @AaronWebstey I wouldn't even know where to find gear although I do have some salt supplements in the house, so who knows?!
    Aaron WebsteyTad_MKenElPescadoPeladoMamaCheetah

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

@AaronWebstey I wouldn't even know where to find gear although I do have some salt supplements in the house, so who knows?!

For the record, I was 100% joking.

Off the record, I'll give you a baker's dozen of HJs for some of those ostarine tabs salt supplements
    Robert RankinTad_MKenElPescadoPeladoMamaCheetah
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Salt supplement contamination again. This makes me buy their stories even less. Trace amounts in a salt supplement shouldn't lead to a positive. Are people taking that much salt supplementation during training? Isn't it more of a race day only thing. At which point it would have to be a significant amount to show up on a test that fast.
    Tad_MGranpa Chook
  • Options
    edited December 2017

For the record, I was 100% joking.

Off the record, I'll give you a baker's dozen of HJs for some of those ostarine tabs salt supplements
    What's the current trade rate for low T supplements? Depending on your answer, I may have to learn the sad dance for my doctor. Or do I just flash him the HJEs?
    Aaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoMamaCheetahGasBomb
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Okay maybe not Ostarine, but the old "tainted meat" defense has resurfaced- with a new (old) twist. And I'm too lazy to start a new thread.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/chicks/does-this-look-like-the-face-of-a-90-year-old-cyclist-who-blamed-a-failed-drug-test-on-meat
    Aaron Webstey
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Haha. Contaminated meat strikes again!

No athlete is safe. Think of the poor 350lb DT from Clemson that got popped. Could be hair gel or acne cream! (I give points for originality.) And is it common that teams test athletes? To me that raised my suspicion that they constantly test to make sure they are doping at correct levels.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/2019/01/03/dexter-lawrence-two-other-clemson-players-suspended-national-title-game/
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaron Webstey
  • Options
    I think the best part was scrolling to the bottom, an article claims a helicoptor busted folks for playing MarioKart on the jumbo tron off hours at a sports stadium.
    M_WareKenElPescadoPeladoJohns622Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited January 2019
    Claims? There's footage!

we sent our helicopter out to get aerials of Arrowhead Stadium and on its way there it noticed a game of Mario Kart had broken out on the Crown Vision board at Kauffman Stadium?? ????

— Tom Martin (@TomKCTV5) January 8, 2019

Robert Rankin1_Hot_PretzelStruangTad_MKenElPescadoPelado

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch