frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Treadmill buying advice

I'm looking to buy a treadmill and am wondering if anyone has any advice. I do not want to spend thousands of dollars, but don't want to buy something that's so cheap that I won't use. I've read that for running, I should look to get a 22" x 60" belt with motor around 4HP. The best value seems to be the Nordick Track Commercial 1750. Anyone ever run on one of those?
John Littlewood - A Cock from the Valleys
TRS Racing

Comments

• Options
    Get one that your laundry looks best hanging from.
    My neighbor has a very nice Nordic Track with the built in fan and I have an older Nordic Track that gets the job done.
    Craig_D_MurManjohnlittscasparwhitteyGranpa ChookkjrunninHSeeley14maggieru
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I believe that @Lionel Sanders uses a Nordic Track Commercial 1750, so that is about as good an endorsement as you can get.
    GentlemanJerseyDavejohnlittsHSeeley14

• Options
    I have a Nordictrack C2250. It's big, loud, and the fan doesn't do anything. But it does the job.
  • Options
    COSTCO.
    KenElPescadoPelado

Do you know who I am?

• Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited February 2016
    @john_littlewood I have the 1750 and like it. Plus, for as goofy as it is, the ifit thing is kind of nice for running random "hills".
    johnlitts
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |
  • Options
    I've had my Epic for 4 years and had no issues. The motor is 3chp. Most of my runs are around 7.5 and 1% incline. Definetly go test a couple out before you buy. Some are super squishy and some are rock hard.
    johnlitts
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member

Definetly go test a couple out before you buy. Some are super squishy and some are rock hard.

Aaron WebsteyItsShugElaine KAdam WyournotuniqueTad_MKenElPescadoPeladoHSeeley14EmilyCocksmaggieru
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    We just got a new one and my wife doesn't like the squishy feel. Hurts her plantar fasciitis. FYI
    #KOAT
  • Options

Aaron WebsteyMattsp1keyournotuniquewchevronTad_MKenElPescadoPeladoccochrane

Do you know who I am?

• Options
    I bought a Sole F63 for $500 off CL. It's not bad but it's not great either... It's a little squeaky, takes a while to switch speeds and sometimes the belt will slip a tiny bit when running > 8mph.
    But... it works well enough and it was cheap. If I'm going to get another one it's going to be one that has a fixed deck (not folding) and a bigger motor.
  • Options
    Just got a Proform 2000 based on the positive reviews. If we ever get around to assembling it, perhaps I'll have feedback. Until then, @espejo09 has already started hanging clothes on it.
    ItsShugjohnlittsAaron WebsteykjrunninHSeeley14

I have a lot of running shoes...

• Options
    Elaine KElaine K Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Bought one off of craigslist. It works, but the speed/distance thingy is WAY off. Like 6mph feels like an all-out sprint.

BUT - I can get my mileage in, even during monsoon season, which is really all I wanted.

And, my plan was to buy a cheap one, then if I use it a ton, upgrade or just continue using it until it breaks. I'm glad I didn't drop a bunch of money on one, because really I probably used it ~20 times last year, but it's more than worth the small amount of cash I spent on it.
    johnlittsKenElPescadoPelado
    Tucson, AZ
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the advice. Some further research means that the Proform 2000 is at the top of the list. Seems like a good buy at Target for $999. However, I am not going pull the trigger on one until I get some feedback from @espej09
    So @tcaley5 - throw his clothes on the floor and tell him to get the tools out and build that thing ASAP. Thanks ;-)
    tcaley5HSeeley14
    John Littlewood - A Cock from the Valleys
    TRS Racing

• Options
    Love my Precore 9.23. No bells and whistles. Just works really well. I think it's discontinued but probably still out there somewhere. I bought new but also know I didn't pay the $2100 that Amazon has it listed for.

treadmillreviews.net/precor-9-23/
  • Options
    I bought a C1750 about a year ago so that I could run when we got mountains of snow in Toronto. This year, we've had none -- but I'm still using it lots because my balls don't like the cold.

Here's some thoughts.

It weighs a fucking TON. So, keep that in mind for delivery.

iFit requires a subscription that's about $10/month. I'm totally OK shelling out my $10/ for TrainerRoad as it's a 3rd party app for my CT, but it bugs me that I need to pay a subscription for the treadmill. In order to use any of the iFit features where you can pre-program a run you'll need to pay for the subscription. The treadmill comes with some pre-programmed runs, but they're largely useless, IMHO.

The platform itself is plenty large. I'm a midpack guy, and it seems to be lots fast for me. I've never found it uncomfortable in terms of how soft or hard the running platform is. It has three settings, I believe, but I've never figured out how to change them. So I have never done so. it does fold up pretty easily, so if space is an issue, you can get some back by doing that.

The fans are better than I had expected and they automatically adjust to your speed. They're loud though, so plan to wear headphones.

The buttons are finicky. I find that I usually need to press them a couple times to change speed/incline.

I also find that the speed is a little bit off... I think it runs faster than it says that it does. Per Cody Beals, I always run on a 1 degree incline and concentrate more on HR values vs. speed.

Some genius sent down from Zeus has created a webapp which will pull data from your
    (non-subscription) iFit account and download a tcx file which you can plug into GC, TP or whatever.

There is no external port to connect to a Wahoo GymConnect (I was disappointed).

Hope that helps.
    HSeeley14
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    No matter how much you spend, something about your treadmill will irritate you, but it's better than not running. Just make sure to give it some basic service it from time to time, like wiping the deck, vacuuming out the motor, etc.

We have an older Keys Fitness one. It works great for my wife but blows a fuse when I crank up the speed to max for more than 30 seconds.
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Speaking of irritating, I would advise against anything with a touch screen unless you see specific reviews about the screen's sensitivity, or get to try it out yourself. I f'ing hate the screen on our new one.
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Agree with most of what @Dustino said, except for a couple things. iFit is like $90 if you buy the year at once, and it's not necessary, but think of it as buying a large number of "courses". Might be worth it to you, might not.

Speed: I had calibrated a Harmon footpod at the track and my 1750 always seems to be within about :05/mi of my footpod pace. My treadmill did just get serviced recently(ish), though.

That web app is the tits. It's great to sync your run, with HR (if you're wearing a BT HR strap), pace, and elevation to trainingpeaks/garmin.
  • Options
    @Dustino I haven't had a chance to look at mine, it's folded and covered with painters plastic, but the port really is t external? I sit something that is accessible, though? Or am I shit outta luck for the Wahoo?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Make your daily exercise more fitting and handy by having a home treadmill. This comfortable machine for walking or running appeals to you ergonomically.
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    After we wore out the deck on a retail model (deck lost stiffness - let the quote jokes begin) I bought a used commercial model (like many kinds found in the high traffic health clubs) for the price I would have bought a new one for. I think it's far more durable unit and we've had it for 6 years now. No change in the way it works. It's a tank. Happens to be a TRUE brand, but I think there are many good brands out there. Forthunately, the lack of warranty on a used machine hasn't been an issue. (someday, I may be able to run on it again!!!!).
    Happy shopping John
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    @yournotunique digging up an old thread here but does everyone still appreciate the c1750? We're about to get one and choosing between it and the Sole F80. 18 month 0% financing has Nordictrack in the lead but read their customer service is terrible, so hoping no one's needed it. iFit is required for the year with a new purchase, but I'm willing to drop $100 on it if the treadmill is worth it. Doubt I'll use it but the wife might.

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    So the ifit service is $500 a year now
    Martin

• Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Yikes! We have a Sole elliptical and it’s been going strong for almost 10 years.
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    @Robert Rankin So I’ve been off the treadmill for the better part of a year now, because of my foot, but my wife still uses it and doesn’t seem to have any complaints aside from “it’s a treadmill”.

I didn’t know that about iFit, though that seems like a company ending kind of price hike.
  • Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Just bought a Nordic Track C990. It does the job and was under $1200 CAN. I have not bought into the iFit crap yet, but might once I get bored of staring at the wood paneling in our basement. You can adjust the tension (very easy to do) to make the running surface more or less firm. It squeaks and creaks a bit, but from the research I did (not a lot mind you) most treadmills under a certain price range (<$1000) are pretty much just for walking. If you are going to run and run faster than a 6 min/km for any period of time then just be sure the treadmill you get can handle it. Some of the cheaper ones can't even handle more than 200lbs, which I suppose is a good incentive for me to not get fat, but pretty presumptuous of the treadmill to cap my weight.

Good luck and be sure to post some video of you running on the treadmill so all the "experts" can critique your form.
    Aaron WebsteyRobert RankinKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    @HSeeley14 , run on Zwift. I see runners on there every once in a while, and I assume they're starting to peddle that service.

At least then there will be one person I know that I might be able to keep up with while I'm riding!
    HSeeley14KenElPescadoPelado
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Now I think I'm driving 2 hours on monday to pick up a Sole F85 on Craigslist. I want the wider belt and all NT models with the wider track force you to pay for the stupid ifit
    HSeeley14jayrod

• Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

@HSeeley14 , run on Zwift. I see runners on there every once in a while, and I assume they're starting to peddle that service.

At least then there will be one person I know that I might be able to keep up with while I'm riding!

I tried the Zwift running and might go with it when I get back to training, but Zwift will be doubling their costs soon and I do not plan to keep the service.

Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @HSeeley14 They already upped it 50%, so you're saying it's doubling to $30/month from the current $15? I don't want it at the current price, but that's going to embolden other platforms like Rouvy to increase their rates.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch