frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Recruiting for NCAA Triathlon at Transylvania University

KMRyanTriKMRyanTri Member, Pro Triathlete
I know it's a late in the recruiting cycle to consider a new school in early November, but if any of you here have connections to high school aged women that are interested in NCAA triathlon, I'm gathering a team of women who are driven to chase a national title. Please have them contact me at kryan@transy.edu.

At the moment, front-pack swimming ability (sub-5:30 500 SCY) provides a very realistic opportunity at a Top-10 at NCAA championships. In our first season (Fall 2018), I'm very open to developing new triathletes, so previous experience is not strictly necessary. However, my target demographic would be "swimmers who can run".

I've linked some info about the program as a bit of a primer, but Transylvania is a small, nationally ranked liberal arts school in Lexington, Kentucky. Academically, we are quite elite, with our average student having an ACT of 27, EVERY ONE of our professors holding a PhD (or the highest possible degree in their field), and the highest acceptance rate to law and medical school of any undergraduate institution in the state. Athletically, we are a DIII school. Our athletic department is investing heavily into triathlon because we realize that by getting in early, we can build a perennial contender if we are aggressive. We have a ton of academic scholarship money available, so while we cannot provide athletic scholarships, it's unlikely that a strong student would pay anywhere near the sticker price here.

Thanks,
Kevin

https://hfpracingnews.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/transy-triathlon-recruiting-booklet.pdf
KenElPescadoPeladoM_WareGranpa ChookCraig_Dsimonsen77

Comments

• Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    Would you take a 35 year old with 3 years of eligibility left
    balsdorfMartinBrew_TriAaron WebsteyAlexSidking90
  • Options
    Good luck Coach! I will be following your progress.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    My cousin's kid went to Transylvania. Unfortunately he failed out. Although, he's still in the area so if you need someone to help out with the post race festivities, he'd be your man.
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    @Dark_mark You'd need to have your gender reassigned. And still be able to break 20:00 in the 5k...

@Granpa Chook Thanks!

@wchevron Sounds like I just made a new friend.
    kjrunninGasBombCraig_DM_WareAaron Websteyidking90
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    i didnt say that i was the 35 year old
  • Options
    also, shutup
    KHilgendorfMartinsimonsen77
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    KMRyanTri said:

@Dark_mark You'd need to have your gender reassigned. And still be able to break 20:00 in the 5k...

blockquote>

Fucking savage

KenElPescadoPeladoidking90

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    On a serious note @KMRyanTri I reached out to the local high school/summer swim coach in Greencastle Indiana to see if there are any young women swimming sub 5:30 scy. I know we have some monster cross country runners at Greencastle High School. Their #1 just won the state title. Not sure if DePauw is recruiting as well.
    Aaron Webstey

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Does your school have a phlebotomy program? Because for some reason, I can't get the image of bloodsuckers out of my head.
    Mark_after_Darkidking90
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM

Does your school have a phlebotomy program? Because for some reason, I can't get the image of bloodsuckers out of my head.

I thought you were keeping all your bad jokes in one thread?
    KenElPescadoPeladoMark_after_DarkM_WareGasBombItsShugAaron WebsteyCraig_DAlexSkjrunninsimonsen77Tad_M
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    Unrelated per se to recruiting, but cool that you got that gig, @KMRyanTri
    I know there was some criticism that some of the NCAA schools were basically hiring “ordinary” local age group coaches with little to no knowledge of draft legal racing because the ADs didn’t know any better. I’ll be expecting Transylvania to usurp ASU in 2019.
    GasBombCraig_DAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoJames Lange
  • Options
    @idking90, I'm going to be very careful how I word the following response because that's a rabbit hole I don't want to go down!

As new teams are being added what seems like daily, these all provide a MASSIVE opportunity to pros who have some relevant racing experience, have some coaching in their background and/or are especially connected to their regional endurance communities.

For a pro in the later stages of their career who is considering their next steps (@AJ Baucco ?), this could be perfect. Transy is very open to me continuing to race, as they view it as a recruiting draw (I don't believe any other NCAA coaches at this time are actively racing pros), and I'm sure most other schools, especially DII and DIII would encourage it as well.

Aaron WebsteyKelly O'Mara
  • Options
    @Dark_mark to answer your question in all seriousness, YES. Are you talking about JJM?
    Aaron Webstey

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch