frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Gauging interest in an ad-free TriRoost experience

Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
edited November 2017 in Main
I've been considering offering an ad-free TriRoost experience, one way or another. I know some of you have ad blockers (and I also know some of you turn OFF your ad blockers on this site - thank you!), and yes, the ads can be funny at times, so maybe nobody even cares. But I figured I'd see what you all think about it.

There are a few different ways to achieve this, that I can think of:
- take donations in exchange for ad-free browsing, maybe $10 a year or $1/month via Paypal or Patreon etc
- get rid of the ads for everyone, and provide some kind of value-add for donors/patrons (special privileges, a private area, badges, etc)

I guess I only had 2 ideas on how to do this.

Input and suggestions welcome. As long as I'm at least breaking even, I'll be happy.
#KOAT
  1. Getting rid of ads would make my TriRoost.com experience:22 votes
    1. Worse, I like the funny ads
      18.18%
    2. The same, I don't give a f ... hoot
      77.27%
    3. Better, the ads ugly-up the site
        4.55%
  2. How much would you be willing to pay to get rid of ads?22 votes
    1. $0
      40.91%
    2. ~ $5/yr
      13.64%
    3. ~ $10/yr
      36.36%
    4. ~ $20+/yr
        9.09%

Comments

• Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I love the ads. I wish we could periodically throw a TriRoost e-bake sale, not this kind...

but like a regular bake sale. I would donate cookies to support the Roost, I would buy cookies to support the Roost...and I don't really care for cookies or baking. Is there something we could do that follows the bake sale model? Or is Patreon the easiest solution?
    Aaron Websteymbrekk44
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    edited November 2017
    I think the Patreon is probably the easiest idea.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    From the looks of it, I'm the only one who cares about the ads anyway. Thanks for the feedback!
    #KOAT
  • Options
    The ads have never really bothered me and removing the ads would eliminate the relevance of (at least) one of the threads on this forum...
    Aaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoMattsimonsen77

• Options
    You have all saved me a fair amount of unnecessary work. New favourites.
    maggierurangamelidking90Johns622
    #KOAT
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

You could still ask for money. I don't like recurring Patreon-like subs, but if you want to open a tip jar or something I would put a few bucks in.
    Aaron WebsteyTad_MCraig_Dmbrekk44kjrunnin
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    More ads, more ads. Are you kidding, this is the greatest AI Comedy experiment ever. I don't want the ad placement thread to die either.......
    Aaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Martin said:

You could still ask for money. I don't like recurring Patreon-like subs, but if you want to open a tip jar or something I would put a few bucks in.
    I'm going to set up something like this. I started doing a Patreon account, but it didn't really feel like a good fit since I'm not really a 'creator' per se. Thx Marty.
    #KOAT
  • Options

More ads, more ads. Are you kidding, this is the greatest AI Comedy experiment ever. I don't want the ad placement thread to die either.......

Ha ... Point taken :)
    #KOAT
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    edited November 2017
    JFC @AaronWebstey how are you not a creator? Would this community exist as it does at this moment had you not created it? No, it wouldn't.
    Aaron WebsteyTad_MCraig_D
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    M_Ware said:

JFC @AaronWebstey how are you not a creator? Would this community exist as it does at this moment had you not created it? No, it wouldn't.

Ha ... Thanks Mel :). I guess I just figure there might be better mediums for donation, Patreon seems more geared toward writers, artists, etc. I'll look into it a bit more, it might be possible to have a one-time donation option with Patreon. Or three might be more fitting solutions out there that I just haven't found yet.
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Martin said:

+1
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    We need a holiday to plug donations in conjunction with. Not when we are already spending money on Secret Santa, Black Friday, etc. How about Martini Saturday?
    Tad_MAaron WebsteyCraig_D
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options

We need a holiday to plug donations in conjunction with. Not when we are already spending money on Secret Santa, Black Friday, etc. How about Martini Saturday?

This is an excellent idea. That's the plan.
    KenElPescadoPeladoTad_MM_WareCraig_D
    #KOAT
  • Options

M_WareAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM

M_Ware said:

Ha ... Thanks Mel :). I guess I just figure there might be better mediums for donation, Patreon seems more geared toward writers, artists, etc. I'll look into it a bit more, it might be possible to have a one-time donation option with Patreon. Or three might be more fitting solutions out there that I just haven't found yet.
    But @AaronWebstey is a writer.. he wrote the book to my heart
    M_WareAaron Websteyidking90Craig_DKenElPescadoPeladoJohns622Tad_M
  • Options
    All time favourite.
    mbrekk44
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @AaronWebstey you need to write a book ala Dr Suess about all your Favourites??! Not sure how you keep them straight.
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    Craig D said:

@AaronWebstey you need to write a book ala Dr Suess about all your Favourites??! Not sure how you keep them straight.

Guess we found this year's Xmas Eve post
    KenElPescadoPeladoCraig_DTad_M
    #KOAT
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    M_Ware said:

Patreon headline:
    "@AaronWebstey is creating epic websites, musical melodies, and handjob eyes memories."
    Craig_DAaron Websteymbrekk44
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    Again, great work Ken. I'll probably use *something* like that :)
    KenElPescadoPelado
    #KOAT
  • Options
    As long as your patreon "creations" are euphemisms for what you do in your office at work I'm in. I couldn't afford that.

Another option would be https://digitaltipjar.com . Haven't used it but looks like it is more one time use.
    Aaron WebsteyCraig_D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch