frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

RIP Gord

AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
Sworry.
rigpigTad_Machrowiczccochrane

Comments

• Options
    IanLIanL Member
    The story of how to live a full life in less time. Thanks Gord.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    My condolences, Canada.
    AaronWebsteykjrunninTad_MachrowiczGranpa Chook
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    dhr said:

My condolences, Canada.

Thank you. Lost John Dunsworth (AKA Mr Lahey from Trailer Park Boys) this week too. Our PM cried in public over Gord, and I don't think he was faking it
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Level 2 Supporter
    His passing makes me sad. Brings back memories of August 2016 when I considered myself an honorary Canadian as I cheered for Penny Oleksiak in Rio and enjoyed the national concert CBC broadcast live from Tragically Hip's last performance. I remember your PM introducing him. RIP Gord.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    Why are sad over one of these dying?

I went ahead and corrected to the Canadian spelling.
    MattwchevronAaronWebsteyJennifer PostTad_MachrowiczM_WareMartin
  • Options
    Never listened to the Hip too much, but he sounded like a great man.

Sworry for your loss, Canada.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member

dhr said:

My condolences, Canada.

Thank you. Lost John Dunsworth (AKA Mr Lahey from Trailer Park Boys) this week too. Our PM cried in public over Gord, and I don't think he was faking it
    I plan on getting drunk for Jim Lahey this weekend. I am the liquor.

AaronWebsteyrigpigKenElPescadoPeladoMartin
  • Options
    Gord was the best and so uniquely canadian that it's hard to put into words. For Americans try and picture a combination of Bruce Springsteen and Bob Dylan. He was a poet. His art transcended just music and he left a lasting impression on anyone that crossed paths with him.

A friend told me a story the other day about when the Tragically Hip were just starting out in the 80's. They were playing at a university and pulled up with a van full of equipment. They didn't have any sound guys or people to help unload. They just asked people walking by, "hey, can you help us set up". My friend's brother and a few others helped them set up for the show. Afterwards Gord Downie went into the back of the cube van and came out with a bunch of hockey sticks and a net. He asked them all if they wanted to have a quick game of road hockey before they did a sound check. After the game they asked a few guys to stay for sound check and then got them to do the sound tech for the concert.

After I heard that story I wondered just how many games of road hockey Gord Downie played with random people all around Canada. He's probably played road hockey in more cities and towns in Canada than anyone else.

AaronWebsteyJennifer PostIanLccochraneGranpa ChookM_WareGentlemanJerseyDaveCraig DRobert RankinKenElPescadoPeladoTad_Machrowicz

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch