frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Kona 2017 Post race thread

doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
edited October 2017 in Main
I think this should be a more common thing after large races. Basically a hub of post-race analysis and opinions. DM me any media/articles and I'll add it to this post (Also @AaronWebstey , can you do something like a spoiler/expand thing so youtube videos don't automatically embed themselves and only expand if people want to watch them?)

Results:
http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/world-championship/results.aspx

Media:
Breakfast with bob: 2017 Championship edition playlist :

Triathlon Taren race recap:

Triathlete Magazine post race interviews: Lange:
, Ryf:

Tririg race day gallery: http://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2017_10_Kona_Race_Day

News articles:

Slowtwitch: http://www.slowtwitch.com/Features/2017_Ironman_World_Championship_Race_6615.html

Triathlete magazine men's race: http://www.triathlete.com/2017/10/ironman/analysis-mens-race-risky-business_307429

Women's race: http://www.triathlete.com/2017/10/ironman/analysis-kona-rookie-makes-daniela-ryf-fight-win_307432

Discuss.

From my point of view, I'm really excited for the next few years. For a minute there it looked like Ryf/Frodeno had a stronghold on Kona for the next few years. I figured it would take a world record performance to take down Frodo but I also thought he'd be in the mix for that world record. I think this race was one of the most exciting in recent years. The top 3 men off the bike all smashed the bike course record and Lionel, in second, was only 7 seconds away from Crowie's course record. There's a brand new dynamic to this race now and so many tactics. It's no longer about being a balanced athlete like Frodeno, it's been shown you can win by being an uber-runner like Lange or an uber-biker like Keinle/Sanders.

On the women's side, I'm also extremely excited to see what Lucy Charles can do in the future, could she potentially lead the race wire-to-wire? I'm also impressed by Heather Jackson's bike split, just 45 seconds down from Ryf.

fyrehaarJennifer PostMamaCheetah

Comments

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
  • Options
    I thought the race was great. Probably as exciting as it can get for an eight hour race.

Patrick Lange is un-human. Dude looked so fresh running that marathon. Lionel will win this race without a doubt, watching him hurt in the final few miles was unreal. McNamee from out of the woodwork was impressive as well. These guys are really on another level.

I feel like for Ryf to get beaten, Lucy Charles needs another one to two women to ride with out of the swim. She'll then need to have the run of her life.
    Aaron WebsteyMamaCheetah
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited October 2017
    And for someone wanting to see Lionel's calves this morning...

(j/k)
    Aaron WebsteydoyoueventribroKuchMamaCheetah
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Four men under 8:10, right? Looking at past results, there have only been two years since 1997 in which there were two men under 8:10.

Likewise for women - only the third time two women have been under 9.

I know the courses have changed slightly, but this is still remarkable. Clearly Messick is doing something right, to generate such awe-inspiring performances.
    Aaron Websteydoyoueventribrombrekk44
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Matt said:

(j/k)

Hey actually said on Breakfast with Bob that after some food/salt he felt great and the day after the race had "little soreness". I mocked him when Talbot Cox did the 24hr video and his "6 day taper" and his 5-year plan of biking 4:00 - flat and running 2:35. Now I'm terrified the mad lad might actually do it.
    James LangeAaron Webstey
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    It looks like someone put a deflating football in his leg.

I was wondering, before the race, if Frodo might retire if he wins, thinking how much more can he accomplish. Now with the Sanders and Lange threat, I see him sticking around.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Bring on Gomez and Brownlee too. I wanna see a 4-man sprint/dive across the finish line.
    fyrehaarAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoMartinMamaCheetah
  • Options
    Matt said:

Bring on Gomez and Brownlee too. I wanna see a 4-man sprint/dive across the finish line.

I want to see a race where Brownlee sets the swim course record, Lionel sets the bike record, Lange sets another marathon course record but Frodeno still beats them with an overall course record
    PreachSwansonM_WareAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoMartinMamaCheetah
  • Options
    I think it was great to see Lucy Charles delivering on her potential. I thought it was interesting that Thorsten figured she was going to struggle to be in the top 10 and would see tens of people bike and run past her... I'm not entirely sure where he got that idea from given her performances in Lanza and Frankfurt as well as in Challenge Races throughout the year. Now I won't pretend I was picking her for second but I thought she was likely to get in the top 10 and a not unreasonable shout to get in the Top 5 - glad to see that she delivered!!!

On the guys side - really interesting to see the runners showing up and possibly a power shift away from the uber bikers. It is one of the interesting things about the Kienle/ Sanders/ Wurf train that they invariably pull some of the runners up with them (even if they can't hang on the entire way) and helps keep them in contact with the all-rounders.

Be really interesting to see how things develop with Gomez hopefully coming on next year - presumably he'll be up there on the swim, will stay in contact with the chase pack on the bike and with Lange and Gomez charging through the pack... well, that could be spectacular - repeat of the iron war perhaps?
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    The most impressive thing to me is that Sanders ran a 2:52 when every stride looked like complete garbage. Sanders has some easy gains to make in the water and with the improvements he's made in the past 12 months. I don't think it's unrealistic to see him at 51min next year.

Now that Lange's run is is no secret, he'll have to up his bike a bit. Sanders can easily drop a few minutes off his swim, but Lange can really only go faster on the bike.

I predict that Ryf has a huge win next year. I think she's been pulled different directions lately (wiht 70.3 worlds and the triple crown) and she could afford it. Now that Charles has put some fear into her I think she'll be untouchable.

The prospect of Gomez in Kona is awesome. There's one Kona rookie I wouldn't worry about!

Aaron WebsteyTad_M

• Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM

Matt said:

I want to see a race where Brownlee sets the swim course record, Lionel sets the bike record, Lange sets another marathon course record but Frodeno still beats them with an overall course record
    Hell with Lionel, I'm calling a new bike course record set by starky next year
    PreachSwansonM_WaredoyoueventribroNotSoFatLewMamaCheetah
  • Options
    mbrekk44 said:

Matt said:

Hell with Lionel, I'm calling a new bike course record set by starky next year
    If starky is around next year and cam wurf doesn't do 4 Ironman races to qualify. Cam would still smoke starky
    mbrekk44fyrehaar
  • Options
    andrewm88 said:

I thought it was interesting that Thorsten figured she was going to struggle to be in the top 10 and would see tens of people bike and run past her... I'm not entirely sure where he got that idea from given her performances in Lanza and Frankfurt as well as in Challenge Races throughout the year. f

Thorsten had Lionel sitting 28th. I mean, based on his last year kona performance, ok, but he also kind of redeemed himself with Arizona, Oceanside and long course worlds.
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    edited October 2017
    Obviously Kona, more so than many races, is subject to the weather. Based on the times this year, they clearly had favorable conditions to open up the potential for a fast bike. Add to that the dynamics created by having some of the best bikers all essentially together out of the water and one of them with a bike record goal. It was the perfect day to attack the bike record. If Starky shows up next year and he, Wurf and Talansky deliberately attack together chasing the record, it still will come down to whether or not the weather cooperates.

As for Lionel, it's hard to believe based on how fast he goes, but there is low hanging fruit on that bike for sure. I know he has big balls based on the way he races/trains, but he could pick up 30 minutes if he decreased the distance between his knees about 1.5 feet. Maybe it's a ventilation strategy formulated by Barry Shepley when he came up with the brilliant CamelBak idea (keep the crotch cool by maximum wind exposure)? In any regard, figure out a way to get those knees in a bit. (a lot)
    Aaron WebsteydoyoueventribroGranpa Chookmbrekk44James LangeHSeeley14Martin
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Also in celebration of David McNamee coming out of fucking nowhere. Here's hoping he can pick up more than the two sponsors that were on his kit. Also, I'm #sworry

MattwchevronAaron WebsteyNotSoFatLewHSeeley14fyrehaarmbrekk44MartinCraig_DKenElPescadoPeladoRashTad_Mkjrunnin
  • Options
    Dentist: When was the last time you flossed?
    Me: I dunno, doc, you were there.
    Aaron WebsteyMamaCheetahKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    MamaCheetahMamaCheetah Member, POTM
    Matt said:

@AaronWebstey - can you also add a "spoiler your lunch" alert, too. That would be great !

M_WareAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPelado

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch