frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Ireland...

Brew_TriBrew_Tri Member, Rooster Endurance Member
Im going to Ireland next week. Staying in Dublin. Checking out Galway too. Any cool shit to do? I like beer and getting drunk(Yes this is a heritage trip).
Yay Sports! :#

Comments

• Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    Nah. Nobody drinks in Ireland.
    KenElPescadoPeladoBrew_TriAaron WebsteykjrunninKelly O'Mara
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    edited September 2017
    I think you can find beer and get drunk.
    Brew_Tri
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    One of my kids went to Ireland. He visited the Cliffs of Moher which was quite impressive. The Guiness Brewery tour was also good apparently. I'll find out from him and get back to you. He also spent significant time in the pubs too I suspect.
    Brew_TriM_Ware
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Wasn’t @_MurMan in Ireland a while back?
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Make sure to specify that you want "Local" Guinness as opposed to the temperature-controlled swill they like serving to tourists. Or stick to Whiskey.
  • Options
    OverBiker_SamOverBiker_Sam Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    If you have a car (and will be able to drive), the Ring of Kerry, Dingle Peninsula, etc are pretty damn breathtaking. There are some distilleries out there too. About 2 hours south of Galway.

You could also check out the Burren - about 60 min east of Galway. Looks a bit like Scotland with the windswept desolation.

But if all you want to do is drink, then stick Dublin and Galway.

Funny story: Back when I worked for a company that had plant in Galway, we used to go over there and go out for a night on the town on Thursdays, when the dole would get paid. This typically involved drinking until dawn, which we thought of as a special event but was an regular occurrence there. The company at one point was looking into moving to a four-day workweek because yields on Fridays were abysmal, because so many people would come in drunk or hungover. I've been told that throwing up in a clean room bunny suit is possibly one of the worst experiences one can have on Friday morning...
    M_Warembrekk44MartinCraig_DBrew_Tri
    Cheers,
    -Sam

• Options
    Second, Sam's comments. Have been to Galway a number of times and the city/town itself is fantastic. High Street in Galway is a great scene at night with a lot of street performers and artists. I'm fortunate enough to have visited the UK quite a bit and have done quite a bit of the touristy stuff - which is all great and worth doing - but getting pissed in a pub in Ireland is never a bad idea. Pubs there are really a part of the social fabric and it's an awesome way to take in the people and the culture.
    M_WareOverBiker_SamBrew_Tri
  • Options
    Was there for Y2K - what a great place. The neighborhood pubs are not to be missed - the community gathers for a pint while locals play music in exchange for a few drinks. We did do a tour of the southern route and had a great time - many castles, the Blarney Stone, the cliffs, etc and of course many pints and whiskeys along the way. I think we were there for about two weeks.
    Brew_Tri
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    I was there one weekend while in college in London. I don't remember much of it. Although on the bus ride back to London, we did run over a motorcyclist and kill him. That I do remember.
    KenElPescadoPeladoBrew_TriTad_MAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Sure it's touristy, but when in Dublin, go to the Brazen Head after you do the Guinness factory tour. In the factory tour when I went, there was a glass case embedded in the floor displaying the original 999 year land lease paper, you could see it was all folded and dog eared, likely kept in a messy desk cabinet for the first chunk of time when it wasn't really yet an heirloom.
    Likewise, an odd thing impressed me at the Brazen Head. Not just that it was established in 1198, and in continuous operation since I think. What I found cool was the double gated security alcove at the front, necessary back then. These granite road block cobbles are so worn down from nearly a 1000 years of carts coming in and out. Really cool little things made those two places interesting.
    Brew_TriKelly O'Mara
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    The group im with decided to rent a car. Ill keep you guys updated on where we end up but thanks for all the suggestions.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

The group im with decided to rent a car. Ill keep you guys updated on where we end up but thanks for all the suggestions.

Please do! First ever triroost travel log :)
    Tad_M
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    @College_Tri , no links here. I know and trust that you read Friday Boozing religiously as all Roosters should.
    You have been challenged.....
    Finding something on your trip that tops an old school condom machine installed in the vicinity of a gigantic Rooster will be tough to beat.
    Godspeed and good luck sir!
    Aaron WebsteyM_WareKenElPescadoPeladoCraig_Didking90
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
    If you're in Galway, you can take the ferry from nearby out to the islands (you gotta book in advance + it's a drive/bus to the ferry terminal). It's cool though, these like VERY IRISH islands. Do the whole downtown thing in Dublind, see Trinity and all the old/fancy shit and there's a ton of bars, etc. Down south, like someone said, Ring of Kerry and all that is cool, but seriously the driving on the small roads is goddamn insane. If you go down, fucking stay, only thing I hate the few times I've been was driving in circles just so people could stare at the cliffs and then get back in the car. Other thing I'd say I thought was highly undderrated: Belfast. It's cool and interesting and there's some weird crazy shit along the coast up there.
    M_WareTad_MKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    I'm sort of a history nerd, so I thought Newgrange was the coolest thing I saw in Ireland. They're ancient Stonehengey type things and way cool. Built by druids. No one knows who they were, or what they did. But their legend remains.
    M_WareTad_MKenElPescadoPelado
    ______

• Options
    #Sworry I am stuggling to keep ip with everything on here. I am updating instagram if you want to watch me drink my way through Ireland. Im on about a 6 to 10 beer a day diet. All being monitored on my insta story. My trip went from dublin to waterford to kinsale to dingle to doolin to galway and finally to dublin. Im in dingle right now. Got to golf yesterday in gale force winds. The bartender said it was roughly 50 to 60 mph gusts. Said he hadnt seen anything like that in years.
    M_WareKenElPescadoPeladoTad_MAaron WebsteyKelly O'Mara
  • Options

A big penguin in Dingle?
    M_WareTad_MAaron Webstey
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

Other thing I'd say I thought was highly undderrated: Belfast. It's cool and interesting and there's some weird crazy shit along the coast up there.

Belfast is one of the most interesting cities I have ever visited. I had a crazy few days there in 1999, involving a dodgy flop, my now wife, an RCMP officer, an AWOL US Marine, a punk rocker from New Zealand who was only violent if you interrupted East Enders, and a very creative drug dealer. (There may also have been a quiet lesbian couple, but I might have written them into the memory afterwards for colour.) If you could follow all of the characters, it would probably make a decent Guy Ritchie movie.
    M_Waresimonsen77kjrunninKenElPescadoPeladoCraig_DTad_MAaron WebsteyKelly O'Mara
  • Options
    Just went to a matchmaking festival outside of doolin. Holy fu*k had girls crawling all over me. Couldnt bring one home because of the family. I need to be here more often. Still trying to top the bick cock though.
    MartinTad_MAaron Webstey
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member

I am updating instagram if you want to watch me drink my way through Ireland. Im on about a 6 to 10 beer a day diet.

This sounds like a great train-up to take a job that would pay off your college loans. You know what I'm talking about.
    Brew_TriTad_M
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options

A big penguin in Dingle?

Are you rubbing his nipple?
    Brew_TriTad_MAaron Websteysimonsen77
    ______

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch