frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Triathlon Preview Show ep 73 - Super League and some WTC Races

Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
Huge thanks to @Zach Miller and @EmilyCocks for helping spread the word and keep this place running. If you've been considering doing some podcast advertising, 10/10 would recommend.

Comments, questions, trash talk?
#KOAT
M_WareKenElPescadoPeladoCraig_DSdogfyrehaar

Comments

• Options
    I'm excited to watch this again. The suffering is great.

Bailie, Birtwhistle and Murray are my top picks for 1-3 on the men's side and Kasper, Stanford, and Zaferes for the women.
    Aaron WebsteyGasBombKenElPescadoPeladoBrendo78fyrehaar
  • Options
    Zach MillerZach Miller Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I am excited to watch it too, planning a trainer ride so I can watch it. I think it is a great shot for the young athletes to show off their speed and ability to recover event after event
    Aaron WebsteySdog
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    how many times will we hear Macca say "young Jake Birtwhistle"?
    jakesaundersmbrekk44wchevronAaron WebsteyGasBombRashJennifer PostKenElPescadoPeladoCraig_DGranpa Chookidking90rigpig
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM

how many times will we hear Macca say "young Jake Birtwhistle"?

That could make for a good drinking game.
    M_WareEmilyCocksKenElPescadoPeladorigpig
  • Options
    That would be a deadly drinking game if it’s like last time.
    M_WareCraig_D
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    We should run a tally and see if "young Jake Birtwhistle" is said more often than "young Matt Hauser."

I am looking forward to the races. It's been fun just following them all on social media this week. It's nice to see them get pampered by race organizers with lots of swag and excursions. Even the videos of local fans picking them up at the airport was fun to see. The surfing photos from Tommy Zaferes made me laugh. Did you see the one with A. Brownlee? How long ago did he have his hip surgery? I was surprised to see him out surfing.
    M_WareCraig_DGranpa ChookAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Gonna be awesome!
  • Options
    A little glitch in the start I think. Nothing like waking up at 5am to watch repeats on YouTube. I am sure the racing will make up for it. Not sure who my favs are on the men's side. I'd love to see a relatively unknown do well. On the women's side, I hope Zaferes and Stimpson do well. I think they are the two that can put themselves in pain and keep racing.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    Yacht brokerage ads. Super relevant to me.
    M_WareAaron WebsteyCraig_D
  • Options
    I enjoyed the German beer ads at 5:15am that ran before the live feed on the German TV player I am watching. Big fail for Superleague to post after race start that YouTube is on 1-hr delay. No mention of delay at all in the tweets they promoted all week and had athletes retweet as well.
  • Options
    I saw something on Twitter (not from them, but elsewhere) that it was a last-minute stipulation from broadcast company. That's logical and fair, I suppose, to incentivize the dinosaur model of television...but yea poor form to not make that clear until after the event started.
    Jennifer Post
  • Options
    I can understand why there was a delay but really bad form not to promote the change. I live on the coast with Pacific time so I am quite used to delays in broadcasts. Although thankfully they are disappearing more and more.

I was just really surprised to see they were running links in tweets to repeats on YouTube while Periscoping live startline prep from their same social media channels. Such a disconnect.

At minimum, they should quickly replace their social media headers to note the 1-hr delay. Running false info in advertising is bad and should be a top priority to fix. (Yes, I get on a soapbox about this. I often consult on digital marketing for tech companies and hate it when companies don't correct their mistakes.)

But, wow, the racing! Loved it.
    Aaron Websteyidking90M_WareGranpa Chook
  • Options
    @Jennifer Post sadly, this is triathlon, where the standard for social media engagement is taking a picture of a cardboard box that came with sponsor goodies and inadvertently divulging one's home address.
    So while I agree with you, I'm not even at all surprised, and I know my attitude towards it is part of the problem when I think "eh, well they suck, but I figured it out enough and the content itself is good especially with Emma, Vicky, and Alistair doing so much of the talking this time."
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    @idking90 I never heard about the picture of a cardboard box with home address displayed. That's hilarious. My favorite thing about triathlon social media is how athletes will post a photo of their bike ready to go for race day and then the very next day blame a bike mechanical for a poor result. Even if it's true, don't blame your sponsored bike. Sheesh.
    Tad_M
  • Options
    @EmilyCocks Did you watch Superleague? Lots of talk about women being rough in the swim. Any guesses who Is subject of Klamer's shade?
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    no idea. I watched it though.
    Jennifer Post
  • Options
    Super League Jersey was really great. Nice to see some short racing that rewards some different athletes and abilities.
    M_WarePevashishDaulJennifer Postfyrehaar
  • Options
    I am a huge fan of ITU so it's not surprising I like Superleague. I love having another option for watching triathlon since I just can't get excited about long course.

Besides seeing different people mix it up as @Granpa Chook says, I also loved the strategy that racers had to plan over 6 different races. When should they go out hard vs. save energy for later...play mind games with opponents, etc. I found it fascinating that the Triple Mix on the first day resulted in basically half of each field not making it to the final race. It will be fun to see how athletes change their strategy at the next event.

The only changes I'd like to see in the races next time is the addition of mixed relay. Not by country but maybe training squad or just take the top finishers from previous event and make them team captains and they select their team.
    M_WareGranpa Chookfyrehaar
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    Matt said:

Mixed relay by randomly assigned teams.

Or perhaps do a draw similar to how they set 1st pontoon position so the person that randomly picks your name assigns you to your team.
    Granpa Chook
  • Options
    If they added a mixed relay, that'd be really great. With the relay being an olympic sport now, hopefully it will catch on more and they'll be more races that actually feature it. If Super League becomes a real series throughout the year you could see athletes who specialize on the short circuit style + relay combo and eschew the 1.5/40/10 distance (like Sophie Coldwell for instance, who was really good at this).
    Jennifer Postfyrehaar
  • Options
    I think Vincent Luis would be amazing at this format, or any of the athletes who race Bundesliga or French Grand Prix.
    Jennifer PostGranpa ChookAaron WebsteyTad_M

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch