frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Ownway Apparel Chris "Big Sexy" McDonald allegedly stealing from small bike shop

fitzkickjrfitzkickjr Member
edited September 2017 in Main
Please see my post on slowtwitch regarding Chris "Big Sexy" McDonald and his company Ownway Apparel. He has blatantly stolen designs from my friend's bike shop and is re selling them as his own.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Ownway_Apparel_and_Chris_McDonald._Stealing_from_small_bike_shop._P6428418/?page=unread#unread

*edit: added 'allegedly' -W

Comments

• Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Big surprise. Over there, you're the asshole.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Interesting. Any of our lawyers here able to confirm the 'internet lawyer' consensus on ST that this is not illegal behaviour?

As to whether or not it's a "dick move", which is obviously subjective, I think the first question would be: @fitzkickjr , do you truly think that anybody will enter your friend's shop, see that jersey, and think "oh I'm not buying that, it looks like like the BSR jersey I own/saw/heard about"?

Interested to hear what people think. Definitely not black and white in my books (pun definitely intended).
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    I just hope red shorts ENHANCE my performance......
    My apparel thoughts are very pointed.
    Aaron WebsteyMamaCheetahkjrunnin
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Also wondering about @ThomasGerlachProTri 's suggestion re: libel. @Evan ? Anyone?
    fitzkickjrItsShug
    #KOAT
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Sounds like Big Sexy may be a graduate of the Jordan Rapp School Of Business.
    wchevronPevashishDaul
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    Libel is only an issue of the claims aren't true (obviously). If they have a chronology of when they submitted the design work to Big Sexy and when the Ownway design was released, they'll be fine. May not be able to collect on a design infringement, but a public shaming won't get them into trouble either.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Slowtwich locked the thread. I'm not surprised as Rapp and Slowman are friends with Chris. It it illegal? Probably not. Is it a dick move and bad business? Yes. Furthermore, all the shop wants is an apology from Chris for ripping off his design. And this is not the only design that Chris has ripped off from them.
  • Options
    don't really understand the butt hurt. unless there is legal basis for being sad, what's the point? if i made a good design i'd be mildly flattered that the company with whom i shared those designs would be inclined to copy and sell it.
  • Options

don't really understand the butt hurt. unless there is legal basis for being sad, what's the point? if i made a good design i'd be mildly flattered that the company with whom i shared those designs would be inclined to copy and sell it.

Loss on revenue from a competitor selling your kit. Now, rather than a customer having to buy the kit exclusively from that bike shop, they have the choice of buying it from Ownway at, potentially a better price. That's the entire point of intellectual property. Likening it to a drug company doing all the work to research and produce a new drug, only to have a generic copy it immediately. The sunk costs of developing the product will never be recouped.

You know... business.
    KenElPescadoPeladoyournotuniquefyrehaar
  • Options
    @KHilgendorf the kit probably isn't even aero so wtf cares.
    KenElPescadoPeladoItsShugRobert Rankin
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @dessertdude The recreational cyclists who think it looks good?

You gotta be pretty dumb to dress like a zebra in South Texas...
  • Options
    That's a thread full of people who know next to nothing about IP laws.
    KenElPescadoPeladoM_Wareyournotuniquefyrehaar
  • Options
    dhr said:

That's a thread full of people who know next to nothing about IP laws.

At last, I have something in common with ST users! I wonder if I can use that to get my account reinstated
    PevashishDaul
    #KOAT
  • Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I have no goat in this fight but I just came here to say that both of these websites fucking suck.

When I go to the coffee shop place and hit "enter" it takes me to a "contact us" page which looks like a mobile site. Somehow I saw the three lines on the left hand side that apparently now means "menu" and found "shop". I clicked it and there's literally nothing.

Then I searched for ownway appearal....what the fuck is it supposed to be? The intro page says, "go your own way" you click it and it's an "about page". I still have no idea what I'm trying to do on this website. I click left on the arrow and I get "jessica jones meyers - shop now" Is this the only kit they have? Can I not see a catalog of their kit? If you click the arrow on "about" it gives the option to view bio's of Matt Hanson and a few other athletes....but you can't buy their kit? Go your own way? More like Go to another apparel company.

This argument is fucking useless because neither company is going to sell a stitch of clothing unless they figure out how to pay a developer for a website. Someone with a history of making good websites like @AaronWebstey .

Or maybe I just don't know how to use the internet.
    Aaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoidking90kjrunninCraig_Dyournotunique
  • Options

Someone with a history of making good websites like @AaronWebstey .

Mostly makes sense, but at least one comment makes me seriously question your taste in websites.
    maggieruPevashishDaulCraig_D
    #KOAT
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member

I have no goat in this fight

Who wins in a fight between a goat and a zebra? Taking bets...
    AlexSMamaCheetah
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Wait a minute, people are buying that?
    And wearing it?
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    edited September 2017
    I thought I misclicked and logged into Ravelry where there is continuous bitching about copyright and designs. Different but similar to this discussion.

Looks like a wanker move, but Fibonacci stripes nor chevron patterns are original or unique ideas. Now if either one of them had taken the time to match the stripes across the torso onto the sleeve, now that would have been exceptional.

Edited to add that I have the Jessica Jones Meyers shorts and love them.
    maggieruAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoTad_MMamaCheetah
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

Someone with a history of making good websites like @AaronWebstey .

Mostly makes sense, but at least one comment makes me seriously question your taste in websites.
    I said someone like you, not specifically you.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    simonsen77simonsen77 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited September 2017
    Matt said:

At least it's better than Cipo's outfit.

Thought you were going to post this outfit:

Aaron WebsteyCraig_DTad_M
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    ItsShug said:

Wait a minute, people are buying that?
    And wearing it?

Well, people bought & wore those TRS and Baucco kits. There's no accounting for taste!
    idking90scottyMattyournotuniquerigpig
  • Options
    please tread lightly everyone. this is not internet trial by fire here and we lost a few posters here today.

im going to let you all get in your final shots and opine then ill be shutting this thread down.

management
    Aaron WebsteyscottyCraig_DwchevronyournotuniqueMartin
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    @simonsen77 he's making the rookie mistake of riding an aero frame with a saddle.
  • Options
    Technically, neither I nor my moderators have given @PevashishDaul the required permissions to shut a thread down. However, I can only assume that you all will heed his unofficial status as our moral authority and resident veteran of the CF, thus bestowing de facto "shut this s**t down" powers upon our beloved Pev. Tread lightly indeed.
    PevashishDaul
    #KOAT
  • Options
    In all seriousness, these allegations are potentially harmful to the BSR brand (we get literally dozens of readers every single month!). This conversation does not feel like it's helping with any kind of resolution, and in fact the most likely result is damage to both brands' public images.

I would encourage everyone to remember that these are unproven accusations, and that we still haven't heard the other side of the story. Thread closed.
    idking90wchevronKenElPescadoPeladodhrRobert Rankin
    #KOAT
This discussion has been closed.

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch