frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Alcatraz

OverBiker_SamOverBiker_Sam Member, Rooster Endurance Member
Got an email tonight that I received a roll down for Alcatraz (I was AG 4th in Escape from Philly and somebody in 1-3 must have passed on their slot), and I can register and skip the lottery.

And oh, pay $750 for the privilege of racing in a oly distance race. And pay for plane tickets (the wife and daughter would come), and hotel, and food.

Has anybody done the race? I'm shocked at the cost - I know there are limited slots, but for that price and the travel from the east coast, I could easily cover an IM. Or heck, a Challenge race in the Caribbean!
Cheers,
-Sam

1. Should I spend a season's worth of registrations on a single race?18 votes
    1. It is an iconic race - go for it!
      27.78%
    2. Spend the cash on Challenge Aruba and buy Ben and AJ a round!
      72.22%

Comments

• Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    I have done it 10x. It's a great race and experience.

It is also expensive.

I can't say if it is "worth" the cost to you and the family but if you want to spend a few days in San Francisco with the family, do some sightseeing and spend more $$ on hotel, food and fun, go for it. Life is about experiences and not "stuff" they say.

Or, you could always do the race and then head to Yosemite or something cool like that.
  • Options
    I won a "spot" in Des Moines and passed it up. Had I moved up a spot to 1st where the entry was free, then it would have been tempting but I went ahead and just passed it up. The guy who beat me (by a lot), didn't even consider it - he turned down the free spot immediately (they made us decide on the podium) - had they rolled down his free entry I might have considered it and would have made it a quick, cheap, solo trip for the race(to the extent you can do that in San Fran).

If it were a good spot for the entire family to make a trip, then the decision process would have been easier. However, at the age of my kids, all they care about is if the hotel has a swimming pool, free breakfast where they can pick out what they want and if they can get mac&cheese and/or chicken strips at every meal. San Francisco would be wasted on them at this point.
    KenElPescadoPeladoMamaCheetah
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Skip Ben and AJ, and buy me a round! :)
    MamaCheetah
    #KOAT
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @OverBiker_Sam I'm about an hour away from SF. Stay with us, save the hotel money and do both races!
    MattfyrehaarMamaCheetah
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    Do the race. Leave the kids at @KenElPescadoPelado 's house and you and the wife get a room in the city.
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaron WebsteyRashsimonsen77M_WareMamaCheetahKelly O'MaraCraig_DTad_Mmbrekk44
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    wchevron said:

Do the race. Leave the kids at @KenElPescadoPelado 's house and you and the wife get a room in the city.

I wouldn't mind, but are you sure that's wise? Sam's handle indicates he likes to ride too hard, which could leave him spent for the race and with the kid count on the rise.
    Aaron WebsteyOverBiker_Sam
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch