frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Cross Racing

_MurMan_MurMan Member, Rooster Endurance Member
So this isn't exactly tri related but CycloCross can be some good cross training. I was wondering if anyone has any experience in the area?

This weekend I am racing Monster Cross and the course is gonna be a Muddy (Peanut Butter Mud has been referenced?), Snowy, Water Drenched, shit show. This was my first year racing cross and I did pretty well. Although I didn't get a chance to race any wet/muddy conditions. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks for a sloppy course? It is a 21 mile loop and I have no chance to preride it. So any bike modifications or riding style pointers would be greatly appreciated! Before the weather hit I thought I would have a decent chance of going top 6 but now I am a bit concerned due to inexperience...

Thanks in advance.

Sean Murnane - East Coast Hooligan

Comments

• Options
    Keep weight on the rear wheel at all times. Low PSI, widest, biggest tread tubies if you've got 'em. Practice your dismounts and remounts. Pick your line and stay committed to it.

And be prepared to eat shit. It's not if, it's when.
    _MurManDHansenTri
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    Yup, keep the front end light and if you commit to riding a mud section, keep pedaling!
    _MurMan
  • Options
    I did some single-speed CX racing a couple years back, get ready for some suffering! And if you believe that somehow as a triathlete you'll have an advantage in the run/bike-carry parts of cross racing you are oh so wrong. A cross race tends to be like an FTP test, where you are redlining pretty much the entire way. And as triathletes, getting off the bike to run after a high HR effort rarely happens at all.
    _MurMan

seems like kind of an asshole =)

• Options
    @rrheisler @MorganStyer thanks. I'll try and keep that in mind. And Ryan. I figured the falling part out quick. My first race I fell in the gravel section not once. But twice.. Also when practicing dismounts and mounts the first time I went clear over my handle bars. (I was running much faster than my bike was moving)
    @Theo yeah, I'm hoping since its 21 miles and not a standard 30-45 minutes that I get some nice fluid sections where I can just pedal and keep cadence instead of maxing out the entire time.

• Options
    @_MurMan I would tend to agree, but the fact that it is planned on being muddy means that you are much less likely to get a break anywhere. Mud makes your bike, wheels, legs and feet heavy all the time.
    _MurManRyan Heisler

• Options

@rrheisler this is the tires I have on now (aka what I own) would you suggested investing in something different? They're are Schwalbe Rapid Rob, if that helps in distinguishing them.

• Options

• Options
    It's either that or the Conti Mountain King CX.
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    Big knobs = good to go in the mud!

• Options
    The knobs look good, but keep an eye on that fork arch. I suspect it'll load up pretty quickly if you get peanut butter mud.
    Theo
  • Options
    @MorganStyer anything to help prevent that? I've been told gobs of Vaseline on the pedals to help keep mud and ice out, same concept or am I an idiot?

• Options
    PAM cooking spray is another one I've heard to help keep mud from sticking
  • Options
    A) I want to do this
    B) i will need a bike
    C) i don't have a bike
    D) i don't think SOMD has places to do this
    E) good luck
    F) where is this weekends race? Maybe I'll come cheer you on)
    Aaron Webstey
    HMKP
  • Options
    G) perhaps the spray-on water repellent can work to keep mud off
    H)I've never used that stuff
    I) i just really like the idea of it
    Aaron Webstey
    HMKP
  • Options
    @Kpressure The race is in Richmond VA and isn't a very spectator friendly course. You can check it out at https://www.bikereg.com/25161 at this site and there is kind of a cool video to watch from last year! and cyclocross season is September to December in MD. For future reference. Also if you really think you'd be into it, I have a line on some cheap cross bikes.
    HMkrplunkit

• Options
    Lol @_MurMan takes 2.5 hours to get there. You are on your own lolol good luck though and I'll have to research more into it to see if I would like a bike (who am I kidding? of course I want the bike even if I'd never use it)
    HMKP
  • Options
    @Kpressure Check out the MAC and MABRA cyclocross series. For all the talk about Portland and New England for cross, the Mid-Atlantic is just as good.
  • Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Pro-tip: stay out of the aero bars on the downhills.
    FastCat1107James Langedanimal
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch