frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Flat kit storage solutions...

Soliciting opinions on the best way to carry a flat kit. Doing all my riding on the trainer this year, and only short races, I haven’t had to think about it. Getting ready for a full and have a bta bottle for Infinit, elite bottle on the downtube for more Infinit, and tririg beta for water/Gatorade pickups. How do you stuff a flat kit under your seat where it will stay put? If it matters saddle is Cobb 55. Is running two bottles behind the saddle insanely slower than a single? If not I could just stuff it in a bottle.

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though

Comments

• Options
    StruangStruang Member, POTM
    I've only ever done a 70.3 so excuse my ignorance but unless there are no aid stations why are you carrying so much? Just swap bottles.

Awaits education in 5, 4, 3......
  • Options
    I’m a big fan of my premixed Infinit. Planning a 5 hour split I’ll have 2 2.5 hour bottles. It’s just easier starting with them rather than mixing on the go, or stopping at special needs to pick up a bottle.

• Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    edited August 2017

Doing all my riding on the trainer this year

Edit: I quoted this so I could sad-face it but now I see I can't react to my own post. :anguished:
    Robert RankinKenElPescadoPeladoAaron Webstey

• Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member
    edited August 2017
    kjrunnin said:

Doing all my riding on the trainer this year

Hush Canadians ;) it was the kid, not the weather, that forced me inside
    kjrunninTad_MAaron Webstey

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    Two bottle behind the saddle should be almost drag neutral, since the low-pressure zone behind your chamois is now filled.

Robert RankinAaron WebsteyBrent_R
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    Depending on what you want to carry, you could take a tube, 2 co2 cartridges, & tire lever (if you need it), electrical tape it all together, then get 2 velco straps, run them through the seat rails, tuck the flat package up between the rails as tight as possible and join the velcro together. I did this with just a spare tube. Has been tucked under the seat for 2 years and hasn't moved yet. These straps work really well because you can cinch them pretty tight.

M_WareRobert RankinMattellsworth53tShepherd
  • Options
    simonsen77simonsen77 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited August 2017
    I think I've got a pretty good setup for this. I use the Profile Design RM, basically the same as a Beta. When I have one bottle behind, I use a couple of these:
    http://www.profile-design.com/product/accessories/co2-mounting-brackets/
    Lets me mount two CO2 and a pump head within the shadow of the bottle cage. If you want a multi tool, fixit sticks can be added.

I wrap a spare around a lever and tuck it under the saddle.

Edit:
    Found a pic. I don't have the CO2 on at the moment, though, and the PD bracket & pump are rotated around a bit.
    Robert Rankin
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    What?

You mean you don't want to spend $8,000 on a bike and have to zip tie your shit under the saddle???

I won't buy a new bike that hasn't figured this shit out yet.
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I race with the rear storage box that came with my E117+
    It holds my pump, levers, 2 tubes, and an airline bottle of wine for me to drink while I wait for someone to come along & fix my flat.
    KenElPescadoPeladoM_WareRobert RankinAaron WebsteyCraig_DMattBrent_REvan

• Options
    dhr said:

What?

You mean you don't want to spend $8,000 on a bike and have to zip tie your shit under the saddle???

I’m okay with zip ties :) Got my bike at cost, and it’s only $6k. Until now my Felt has the Torhans bottle. Liking the co2 brackets. Just need to carry a co2, tube, and chuck.

• Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    dhr said:

What?

Agree. Also for a $4-5k bike they can't figure out how to hide a Di2 junction box somewhere in the frame rather than strap it to the handlebar. It's like amateur hour with some of these bike companies.
    Aaron Websteydhr
  • Options
    I have mine stuffed in my Bento box. If you are not carrying any gels or solid nutrition this is always an option. Two bottles behind the seat is also an option and really isn't any worse than a single
    Robert Rankin
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    @Matt , so disappointed you haven't posted the GIF of the condom and lube solution to this problem....
    scottyCraig_DRobert RankinMatt
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options

@Matt , so disappointed you haven't posted the GIF of the condom and lube solution to this problem....

It's not a solution. It's a lifestyle.

Tad_MCraig_DRobert Rankinsimonsen77kjrunninMatt
    ______

• Options
    jayrod said:

I have mine stuffed in my Bento box. If you are not carrying any gels or solid nutrition this is always an option. Two bottles behind the seat is also an option and really isn't any worse than a single

I’ll probably go with two bottles if I can’t figure out a way to cram it under the seat. No tube bosses on the bike, so no bento
    Tad_M

• Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    FWIW @Robert Rankin , I have a "bottle" tool case with a wide mouth screw top. Many I've seen are the design I have. Stays in the holder great, but the top unscrewed on a long ride once. Had to ride back many miles, and fortunately someone kind found my car keys and other things and displayed them on the trail bridge. Now I tape the top.
    I'd go with either a standard bottle or if you go custom, this is cool

visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    scotty said:

Well, @Robert Rankin said he uses a saddle, so my normal recommendation of 'using just an aero seatpost' is not going to cut it.

Robert RankinCraig_DjayrodwchevronAaron WebsteyTad_Msimonsen77HensatcBrendo78Brent_RRashShepherdKenElPescadoPeladoGranpa Chook
  • Options
    @Matt clear, informative, visual aides, juuuust more than 50% asshole ... this may be a perfect TRS post
    M_WareMattTad_MKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    After a longer ride this morning I’m thinking I’ll just use a refillable bottle up front and aero downtube and just put the flat kit in a bottle behind the saddle. I’m apparently not flexible enough to reach back there while in aero anyway.

• Options
    I was wondering how long it would be until someone suggested keistering...
    scotty said:

I was wondering how long it would be until someone suggested keistering...
  • Options
    First attempt at a solution, the aero pouch. If you were curious it fits fine on a tririg beta

M_Ware

• Options
    Another option if you want to get it closer to and potentially completely under the saddle - however your seatpost might not allow it:

http://www.speedsleev.com/product/ballistic-nylon-seatsleev-small/
    M_WareTad_MRobert Rankin
  • Options
    StruangStruang Member, POTM
    "I dream of the day when this kind of detail for my setup is relevant!"

Said the bloke finishing a 70.3 in 6:58
    M_WareTad_MKenElPescadoPeladoRobert RankinMattAaron Webstey
  • Options
    @Rash I’ll have to check that out. Would be a lot easier if I didn’t need my seat so far forward. Was trying to find a way to fit it in the space between the seat and cage, and that may work

• Options
    The Profile Design bracket would give you a lot more adjustability than the dash. Could move it all a lot closer to the seat.

Looks like you could easily strap the tube, and maybe tire levers, in the gap between the saddle and the dash though
  • Options
    Does the profile bracket adjust itself? I mean can I adjust the bottle angle with it? I like the slanted bottle vs straight up. My seat position is causing the huge gap. I have the seat slid as far forward as possible on both the rails and post.
    KHilgendorf

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Yeah, the PD let's you adjust the angle, and the bracket is closer to the seatpost.

Robert Rankin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch