frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

TRS Radio Episode 115 - Sanders and Helle from Penticton

Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
edited August 2017 in TRS Radio

Comments

• Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Great podcast. I think the "live" and face to face interviews bring out a different side of Ben. His interview with Lionel was fantastic. His interview with Helle however was....meh. At times it seemed more like a Make-a-wish kid got a chance to spend 20 minutes with his favorite actress. I get that this podcast is a lot more laid back but a little insight/research into Helle's racing and career would have been nice. You could tell she didn't really want to talk about her injury or leaving BMC uPlay and Ben didn't really know what to talk about apart from that. "you raced in Kazackstan"...."no, estonia".....'oh, well same thing. Do a Borat impression. what kind of movies do you like?". "so you were injured for a while, stress fracture?"...."no"..."oh ok but your sponsors are great your husband's doing really well, sucks about that injury though. Look at my golf swing".
    RashBrendo78idking90
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I liked both interviews. Very apparent that Ben and Mark <3 <3 <3 Helle...and Lionel.
    GasBombAaron Webstey
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    edited August 2017
    Helle is very pretty and makes every guy immediately dumber when they get around her. You'd be lucky not to shit your rompers.

Speakng of make-a-wish, Lionel accepted @jakesaunders' friend request.\

edit: just wanted to clarify that i shit my rompers
    doyoueventribrojakesaundersM_WareBrendo78Tad_MGasBombkjrunninAaron WebsteyRobert Rankinidking90KuchHSeeley14rangamel
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    well, you all were still smart when you interviewed me so now I am insulted.
    Mark_after_DarkCraig_DbalsdorfKenElPescadoPeladoM_WareTad_MGasBombkjrunninscottyAaron WebsteyRobert Rankinidking90PevashishDaulBrent_RccochraneOverBiker_SamHSeeley14
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Dark_mark said:

Helle is very pretty and makes every guy immediately dumber when they get around her. You'd be lucky not to shit your rompers.

Speakng of make-a-wish, Lionel accepted @jakesaunders' friend request.

TRS 115:

• Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    Did you just upload your spank bank?
    EmilyCocksTad_MGasBombkjrunninAaron WebsteyRobert Rankinidking90Kuch
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    The Helle part was unfortunately uncomfortable/awkward. Would have been nice to get a little more out of that opportunity, but oh well. She was a sport and Lionel was good as always - would have liked to hear more about the coaching relationship a little more since it still seems like Lionel does his own thing quite regularly.
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    I think interviews are hard when the interviewee doesn't give back so to speak. Like, Lucy Charles was more like that, yes and no answers, not really bantering back and forth. Lionel banters, has fun, loosens up. Helle F did a bit but when she didn't want to discuss something she shut down completely. Her prerogative.
    M_WareGasBombRashAaron WebsteyTad_M
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    "Would you like something to eat?" Well played, @Dark_mark
    Aaron Webstey
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    The Helle interview was way less awkward then I expected after reading this thread.
    Aaron WebsteyDerekL
  • Options
    ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I'm waiting to pass out the 2 liter pop bottle badge as soon as Ben checks in to this thread.
    Aaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoGasBomb
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    balsdorf said:

The Helle interview was way less awkward then I expected after reading this thread.

Yeah, call me an ignorant Canadian hillbilly, but it seemed fine to me.
    DerekLAlexSrigpigkjrunnin
    #KOAT
  • Options
    @AaronWebstey Were your pants around your waist or your ankles while listening? Were you looking in a mirror giving yourself HJE?

I didn't think it bad, I just wish there was a little more substance to the Helle portion. However as @EmilyCocks noted not everyone is as open or good for an interview. Add in a little language/sense of humor differences and it doesn't go quite as smooth.

Lionel seems to be generally pretty comfortable and open, however his interviews are also better as a result of his familiarity with Ben having talked with him many times. That is more like listening in on a conversation which is great.

To the extent I had anything to do with it, you are welcome for setting you up to have your expectations exceeded!

Aaron WebsteyCraig_D
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    ditto what @Rash said. Has everyone become so jaded?
    Did their boners show through those Rompers? or did they wear proper high tensile spandex undies.
    Aaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    Does anybody else find it weird that the intro is still Ben's ex-wife?
    simonsen77RashOverBiker_SamscottyHSeeley14
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    Yes.
    idking90
  • Options
    Yes, I agree. Can we get Marquis Grizzdog to record a new intro for him? That guy is a genius.
    idking90M_Ware
  • Options
    idking90 said:

Does anybody else find it weird that the intro is still Ben's ex-wife?

I love it.
    idking90
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    I say keep the intro, it's excellent. Who cares if it's Ben's ex. If she or Ben care, then change it, but I like it.
    Aaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoRash
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    Matt said:

Maybe there's a royalty issue and he can't change it.

She probably took him for tens and tens of dollars from it.
    M_WareMattidking90wchevron
    I think I found my tribe of assholes.
  • Options
    trsradio69trsradio69 Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

Great podcast. I think the "live" and face to face interviews bring out a different side of Ben. His interview with Lionel was fantastic. His interview with Helle however was....meh. At times it seemed more like a Make-a-wish kid got a chance to spend 20 minutes with his favorite actress. I get that this podcast is a lot more laid back but a little insight/research into Helle's racing and career would have been nice. You could tell she didn't really want to talk about her injury or leaving BMC uPlay and Ben didn't really know what to talk about apart from that. "you raced in Kazackstan"...."no, estonia".....'oh, well same thing. Do a Borat impression. what kind of movies do you like?". "so you were injured for a while, stress fracture?"...."no"..."oh ok but your sponsors are great your husband's doing really well, sucks about that injury though. Look at my golf swing".

Fuck off asshole. You've got the interview game all figured out? Start a podcast. I'll send you my previous mixer and I'll book you your first guest.
    balsdorfrigpig
  • Options
    trsradio69trsradio69 Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Some fan forum. Great to check in every month or so for a heavy dose of why the fuck do I bother.
    Aaron WebsteyM_WaredoyoueventribrowchevronTad_Mrigpig
  • Options
    TRS_tri said:

Fuck off asshole. You've got the interview game all figured out? Start a podcast. I'll send you my previous mixer and I'll book you your first guest.

Dude...don't be so hard on yourself. Your interviews are top notch despite having some athletes with the personalities of a toothpick. You bring triathlon to the mainstream and, honestly, it's the reason nobody else has duplicated your formula. Anyone else that would attempt to do what you do would fall flat on their face within 15 minutes...including myself. The Helle interview was a one-off. She clearly didn't want to talk about her injury or BMC/Uplay even though it was the main thing to happen in her career recently. She was also just a few days out from world championships and pretty dialed in. I mean, if there's any criticism it would go towards Helle for even accepting an interview during that time. She knows the drill when it comes to your interviews and if she can't match half of your energy should have just declined or delayed until post race.

I apologize, sincerely, if I offended you and in any way deterred you from making great podcasts and content in the future. Your banter with guests and ribbing between you, dark mark, and your twitter followers sometimes give the impression that we're all just "one of the boys" and that we can exchange jabs without recourse. It's what makes your podcast and social media presence so prevalent in the triathlon community. For myself, it was a false belief. I overstepped my criticisms of simply being a fan/critic of the podcast in thinking that I was exchanging jabs with a college dorm mate. It was immature and and unwarranted, and I'm "sworry".

I see you've already blocked me on twitter and patreon, and that's cool, but I'll still listen to all the podcasts you put out because there's nobody that does it better.
    Aaron WebsteyHSeeley14kjrunninCraig_DTad_M
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    edited September 2017
    ItsShug said:

I'm waiting to pass out the 2 liter pop bottle badge as soon as Ben checks in to this thread.

TRS_tri said:

Aaron WebsteywchevronKenElPescadoPeladoRashMattTad_M
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug
  • Options
    TRS_tri said:

There's a button for that now. It looks like a thumbs up but it's upside down.
    KenElPescadoPeladodoyoueventribrowchevron
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Only about 3 weeks late to the party here, but I honestly didn't think that interview with Helle was too awkward. Just seemed like a more reserved Continental European/Scandinavian to me (not sure what those Danes consider themselves). She answered questions, played along a little bit with the banter but didn't go as far as Ben wanted to push. Her prerogative. We NA peeps forget that other cultures exist that don't necessarily rush out to shake their asses on Instagram.
    Aaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoTad_M

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch