frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

The Carbon Chef #2

_MurMan_MurMan Member, Rooster Endurance Member
edited February 2015 in Main
With great feedback from last weeks installment I am going to try and make this a regular thing. With that said if you want some food item in particular please let me know and I'll find the easiest healthiest way to make it and I'll do my best to structure it towards an endurance athlete standpoint.

This week were looking ahead to New York, since a majority of our Team will be out there to race in September. Enjoy!

Making a decision on where to go and what to eat in New York City is harder than trying to piss with a hard on. Sorry Ladies, I know you don’t know the struggle but it is the perfect analogy here. Everywhere you turn in the city you run into three different restaurants and all three are completely different than the three you just saw. Quality food, a wide variety and slices the size of an infant are a few thing’s that NYC prides itself on. So what do you do when a new concept arrives in NYC? That’s right, you look at it, say how do we make this more New York and less of where it came from and create a fantastic and easy to make dish that everyone is sure to love.
The main cuisine that is subject to this abuse is, Italian. All though I am not entirely sure you can call it “abuse” if it becomes something delicious, easy and world famous. Many dishes we would call “Italian Food” are actually products of American ingenuity and most notably is Pizza. However a more classic American move is taking something and adding booze to it… because why the hell not!? And that is how Vodka Arrabbiata came to exist. Vodka Arrabbiata is a great Carb loading meal and this quick and easy recipe will allow you to eat as much as you want and not worry about a thing. This Sauce is quick, easy and delicious. It isn’t packed with the high levels of sugars, sodium and fats that many premade jar sauces contain. And if spicy isn’t your thing you can nix the red chile peppers and substitute in some fresh red or yellow pepper slices.

Vodka Arrabbiata

Ingredients:

• 4 chile peppers (crushed red pepper can be substituted for this)
• ¼ cup of olive oil
• 3 cloves of garlic (sliced thin)
• 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley
• 12 ounces of diced tomatoes (roughly one can)
• 3 ounces Vodka (don’t be cheap… well use what you want. I don’t get paid to endorse brands)
• 1 lemon
• 1 pound of spaghetti (roughly one box)

Preparation:

In a large frying pan, put your olive oil over medium heat, cut open the chile peppers and add them to pan. Let them cook for 4-5 minutes, then turn the heat on high and add the garlic and parsley. Once you smell the garlic cooking and it is turning a nice golden brown add in the diced tomatoes and bring to a boil. Once its at a boil and the vodka and turn the heat down to a simmer, stirring continuously.

In a separate pot cook your spaghetti according to packaging instructions. Once the spaghetti is ready drain in colander and add directly to sauce. Stir well then place in bowls for serving.

And per request of @Dark_Mark a nice alcohol pairing for this would be a full glass of whatever beer you enjoy and for the ladies that want wine, a nice Sauvignon Blanc would be perfect. But really Drink what you enjoy. Anyone that tells you different is wrong and you don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

The entire process of cooking this meal will only take 25-30 minutes leaving you plenty of time to enjoy the evening and relax while getting focused for tomorrow’s activity!

Sean Murnane - East Coast Hooligan

Aaron WebsteyHSeeley14Julia ChevlinDHansenTri

Comments

• Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    Alcohol pairing?
  • Options
    shit... Let me make an edit @Dark_Mark

• Options
    Typically with the acidity in the tomatoes, and heat of the chilis, something like a good kolsch or pilsner would pair extremely well for palate cleansing and providing a contrast. If you want to enhance the heat of the meal, an India Pale Ale or a Rye Ale would bring those flavors out.
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    @rrheisler Jack of all trades; master of none.
    Ryan Heisler
  • Options
    @Dark_Mark that's Dr. Jack of all trades, thank you very much.
    Aaron Webstey
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    @rrheisler is now in charge of all pairings! Because personally (as a trained/professional Culinarian) I find the "Wine Pairings" and "Beer Pairings" at restaurants and such, as a cheap scheme to sell booze. Its a cute concept for people that don't get out of their houses much or think they're fancy.. If you need someone to tell you what to drink, you don't need to be drinking!
    Aaron WebsteyHSeeley14

• Options
    That being said, if you like to try something new, thats understandable. Just don't be pompous about it! lol

• Options
    @_MurMan I'm good for beer pairings. I also agree with your assessment in re: most restaurant ideas for pairings. They're usually shitty at best and downright wrong at worst.
    _MurMan
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    This is the best thing to come out of this forum yet. Yes, even better than the IWB thread!
    _MurMan
    #KOAT
  • Options
    @_MurMan no meat for this meal? What do you recommend for the carnivores on the team? i.e. what's the Vodka Arrabbiata equivalent of Meatballs&Marinara?

seems like kind of an asshole =)

• Options
    @Theo you can broil some chicken and cut it up to mix in. Or if you want an extra step, before you add in the garlic add some ground beef to the pan and cook it Almost all the way through, drain the grease and then pick up from "add garlic"!
    Theo

• Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Drain the grease? Fascist.
    Aaron WebsteyTheoJulia ChevlinHSeeley14
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |
  • Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    _MurMan said:

@rrheisler is now in charge of all pairings! Because personally (as a trained/professional Culinarian) I find the "Wine Pairings" and "Beer Pairings" at restaurants and such, as a cheap scheme to sell booze. Its a cute concept for people that don't get out of their houses much or think they're fancy.. If you need someone to tell you what to drink, you don't need to be drinking!

I trained for a few years as a chef, but mostly just retained the memories of being cursed at by large Swiss German men. Anyhoo, I took to serving and bartending during my college years and I must agree that I despised the "pairings" in restaurants. Almost as much as the fuckwads that would sniff the corks of wine bottles or ask for a decanter for a bottle of white wine. It's best I stop here as the rants I have bottled up from my serving days are pretty unreal and should not be unleashed here. Not yet anyway. Excellent recipe by the way! Arrabbiata is one of my favourites and only about 5% of the people who ordered it when I was serving made tasteless racist jokes, so all in all, a good dish to serve.

Ryan HeislerTheoAaron Webstey
  • Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited February 2015
    That no one posted this makes me sad and disappointed in all of you.

HSeeley14
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch