frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Alistair Brownlee - OUT for remainder of 2017 season

MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member

"Tomorrow is a big day. After years of struggling with a chronic hip problem, I go under the knife. It has been a tough decision but suffering from an acute flare I am left with little option. Unfortunately it will take me away from competing for the rest of the year but I hope it will enable me to continue doing what I love for many years to come. In the mean time I'll get to enjoy a bit of Yorkshire relaxation which is a rare treat."

With @Lionel Sanders re-focusing on Kona, does Sebi now win Chattanooga?
MartinAaron Webstey

Comments

• Options
    Zach MillerZach Miller Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Where will this alleged surgery take place? Also: where's the beef?
    maggieruMartinsimonsen77EvanMamaCheetah
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    Ugh. After watching what has happened to Paula Findlay after having to undergo surgery for hip problems, all I can say is I hope he has a full and satisfactory recovery.
    Aaron Websteyfyrehaar
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    There is a price to be paid for all that high intensity training and massive hours. Often doesn't lead to longevity.
    MartinAaron WebsteyMamaCheetahfyrehaar
  • Options
    Appleton, Don are doing 70.3 worlds. Appo might be the favorite the way he has been riding the bike this year.
    Aaron WebsteyBrendo78MamaCheetah
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    Brent_R said:

Ugh. After watching what has happened to Paula Findlay after having to undergo surgery for hip problems, all I can say is I hope he has a full and satisfactory recovery.

But her options at the end of 2010 were: surgery (and doubtful to recover in time for London) or stop racing and try to rehab as best as possible.

I think we (Canadians) cried along with her at the finish in London.
    Aaron Websteyfyrehaar
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    I'm out for the rest of the season, too.

I bought a new yoyo because my daughter told me I was pretty bad at it. I've got some real training to do.
    MartinCraig_DKenElPescadoPeladoAaron WebsteyBrendo78PevashishDaulMamaCheetahRobert Rankin
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    Does anyone even know what the surgery is for? Could be something on the minor side of things with a high chance of recovery. Further, before people start talking about him being injury prone - this is really only the second time he has been injured causing him to miss racing. Last time it was the ankle surgery for chronic pain from which he recovered to win gold. Considering the high intensity type of racing he does, he is pretty resilient. Compare his ITU injuries to Frodo or Gomez and he is made of steel.

Speaking of Gomez - is he not doing 70.3 worlds? (Serious question - I don't know). If he is, is he not a strong favorite for some reason I am not aware of? (Injury, illness, forgot how to race, etc). Perhaps like the Triathlon Preview Show no one remembers he won the 70.3 championships on a whim a few years back beating Frodo and Don. I realize for him his results in ITU are down so far this year, however I don't think he has been out of the top 10 yet. Perhaps he hasn't validated or is just not racing.
  • Options
    He is racing 70.3 worlds. It is 2 weeks before the Grand Final in Rotterdam. Just don't know what he is going to focus on. His dominance hasn't been what we are used to this year but he did have quite a serious injury last year when he crashed his bike just before the Olympics. He did win 70.3 worlds then was 3rd the following year. Just a question of where his cycling is--those guys are riding damn fast up front and then putting down 1:10 half marathons.
    Rash
  • Options
    And, for Brownlee, he has missed races every year due to some sort of ankle, hip, foot, stress fracture issue. He is usually hurt part of the year, does a couple of the races and then wins the Grand Final or Olympic gold. why do you think they call him the best one day racer in the sport??

2011 is his only series win on the Dextro energy (before it was WTS)/WTS circuit.
    Rashmbrekk44
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    @EmilyCocks I was thinking more about major injury issues, however you are right he has missed a lot of races with reported minor issues/sickness here and there. I always assumed they were minor but his focus was always on big races (he is one of the best big day racers) so he would simply not race with issues most people would. However, as you point out, he has missed some bigger races I am sure his competitive nature would not otherwise allow him to miss absent injury/illness.

Thanks for the education. Hope Javi shows up healthy and ready to run. I have no doubt he'll be comfortable in the draft not legal but not enforced bike leg.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @Rash haha...draft not legal but not enforced bike leg. I like that!

and, the Grand Final in Rotterdam is September 14-17 so that is one week post Chattanooga. That makes it interesting.
    Rash
  • Options
    Brent_R said:

I'm not sure what kind of hip surgery Paula had.... any specifics (just curious)? I had hip surgery a little over a two years ago (torn labrum in 3 places and FAI). I made a full recovery but it wasn't easy. Most try to rush the recovery but hips are one of those injuries you cannot rush because of its limited blood flow. It's slow, painful, and extremely frustrating. But it can be done if you keep the long term goals in sight and let the recovery process do its own thing.
    MamaCheetah
  • Options
    I know Paula had knee surgery. Hip too?
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    @EmilyCocks well we now know - Javi is focused on worlds and the "old" guy remembered how to race/run this weekend. Murray was only seconds faster on the run after sitting in for the better part of the bike. Can't wait to not be able to watch any good coverage of 70.3 Worlds now.
    KenElPescadoPeladojakesaundersTad_MCraig_DJennifer PostJames LangeAaron Websteyfyrehaar

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch