frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

NorCal Group Ride?

KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
Hey All - @Evan is visiting in the Monterey area from wherever the hell he normally hangs out. That's usually all the excuse we need to organize a group ride or other exercise, beer consumption, even some combination of the above. Sending this out beyond the teams to our whole community because I'm sure there's some cool people out there that would love to ride, and drink, and be recruited onto the teams for next year - you know, all those things.
Evan said:

@KenElPescadoPelado besides July 16-21, i'll be in Carmel/Monterey until August 3. Let's try and set up a ride if you can make it down here (you're in SJC, right?).

So that leaves this Saturday, and the following two weekends. On the 29th, I expect to be up at Santa Rosa tailgating while @GasBomb, @rigpig & some others exercise their asses off. I know we can usually get @neil5young out there. Probably @windRider666 & @Craig_Parsons ? Personally I'd love to get something between Santa Cruz & Monterey filled in on my Strava heatmap.

This could also pave the way for some future group rides. I try to organize one about once a month for our local Team RWB chapter, but it's not a tri- or cycling-specific group so usually a pretty small bunch.
Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
M_Ware

Comments

• Options
    There's nothing crazy in my calendar for any of those three weekends, so as long as I have time to run it by the Mrs, I should be able to make it work. Maybe a loop from Watsonville or around Morgan Hill?
    KenElPescadoPelado

• Options
    EvanEvan Member
    i'm in the same boat, basically just need a 24-hour notice so i can negotiate with the Mrs. on a ride and to have our car for the day if i need to drive up. thanks for starting the organizing conversation @KenElPescadoPelado i'm nervous about IRL friends...
    KenElPescadoPeladofyrehaarkjrunnin

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities
  • Options
    EvanEvan Member
    oh, and i reside in the great nation of Texas.
    balsdorfKenElPescadoPelado

• Options
    Looking at my training schedule for the upcoming weekends, here's what I've got:
    Sat 7/15, 1.5 hr ride;
    Sat 7/22, 3 hr ride;
    Sat 7/29, 3.5 hr ride; Sun 7/30, .75 hr ride+1.75 hr run.
    Some more Saturday transition runs & Sunday longer runs mixed in there, but this is the bulk of it.

@Evan I'm also off Monday, 7/31 if your weekdays aren't full occupied. Weekday evenings would probably suck for fighting traffic over such a distance, and @neil5young works all the way up in SF. Just got a text from him saying he needs a push to get back on the horse, so I'm down to shove.

I can start skimming the map for some routes, but does this spark any ideas?
  • Options
    This route one way would probably be a full day for me. Mostly to get an idea of the terrain in that neck of the woods: https://www.strava.com/routes/9588833

No actual knowledge of these roads except the Santa Cruz beach boardwalk area. Maybe if we invoke the name of @Tommy Zaferes he could give us some route ideas?
    M_Ware
  • Options
    Let's look at this this way - @Evan, what are you liking for volume right now? Would a 1.5 hour ride this weekend do you? Or would you want to get 3+ in a week or two?
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Shouldn't there be a go fund me page to buy the Roosters beers when a get together like this takes place?
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    EvanEvan Member
    i probably can't do 7/15 (i'm flying back to Texas real fast on the 16th -20th). I have SF marathon on 7/23 so a 3 hour ride on 22 is probably a no go :( that leaves potentially the 29 but my parents may be here... i'm a huge logistical curve ball. however, i love this thread and we're always up here.

what's the drive from me to SJ ride you posted @KenElPescadoPelado ? i'm dreaming of meeting you IRL!

• Options
    Evan said:

what's the drive from me to SJ ride you posted @KenElPescadoPelado ? i'm dreaming of meeting you IRL!

Spoiler - I'm more fun.
    KenElPescadoPeladokjrunninCraig_DAaron Webstey

• Options
    @Evan without traffic, the east end of that route near Gilroy is about 50 minutes from me, and the West end near Santa Cruz is about an hour. It's only about an hour and a half to Monterey on a weekend though. Sure early this Saturday wouldn't work, knock out a quick one before the uncertainty of future dates?

I will concede that @neil5young Is equally as fun as I.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    This looks like a fun one. *oops, I overwrote the original route.*

https://www.strava.com/routes/9588833

Imagine my dismay when I discovered 17 Mile Drive did not actually measure 17 miles. My whole life has been a lie!
    kjrunnin
  • Options
    EvanEvan Member
    so no can do tomorrow, evidently we have plans i was unaware of but obviously this is a little late. may be too close for missiles need to switch to guns/text. but i'm confident if we don't get something this time, we'll get a ride. we're always in NorCal. and now i have a bike here :)
    KenElPescadoPelado

• Options
    @evan i shot you an e-mail at the account you had on the team roster.
  • Options
    Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
    I refuse to drive south of the city to ride anymore. BUT, I'll also be up in Santa Rosa for Not Vineman, drinking likely and biking, so.
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    @Kelly O'Mara jump in there with us! I needed a tow from @neil5young through much of our ride during the half. Maybe you can pull both of us. How does 3.5 hrs work into your program that day?

@EmilyCocks are you working or riding that day?
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    what day is this? I tried to figure it out from the previous posts but there was too much of this day is good, but this day isn't, etc.
  • Options
    EvanEvan Member
    i don't know if i'm able to make it (emailed @KenElPescadoPelado ). i'm doing SF marathon on 7/23 so likely not riding on either side of that day...
    KenElPescadoPelado

• Options
    Sworry @EmilyCocks I realized that it was ambiguous almost as soon as I posted - 7/29, the day of IMSR. You working that event again?
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    no, not working that again. No pro race to report on for IM Live.

I have a wedding to attend that day anyway so I won't be over in SR. Have fun.
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Hmm, I wonder who we might see #Gerlaching it then?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch