frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Muskoka 70.3 Bike Course, in musical terms.

MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
T1 to Britannia - Any track by The Doors, but probably Roadhouse Blues. Try to get in a rhythm. There are precious few stretches on this course that will allow you to get in a rhythm.

Britannia - Early Godspeed! You Black Emperor. It feels long and changes volume a lot. Try to time the song in your head to peak at the top of the big climb.

South Portage Road - Some shitty Spotify commercials because you are too cheap to pay for a subscription. Boring and uneventful.

Dwight Beach Road first 2 km - Imagine you are driving a late 80s Pontiac Tempest when your favourite road trip mixed tape is chewed up by your car stereo, ejected, and your radio spontaneously tunes to frequency just adjacent to a Christian preacher radio show with loads of static, cranked to maximum volume through those old 8" oval 3-way speakers with the paper cones. Alternate: the sound of crappy carbon rims exploding in potholes, interspersed by the screams of triathletes absorbing gravel into their bloodstream. This stretch is not in good shape.

Rest of Dwight Beach Road - Margaritaville

Hwy 35 to Dorset - The sexiest R&B you can find. It's foreplay for the rest of the ride, and thinking about the effect of Marvin Gaye or old Diana Ross on your significant other will help you to forget about the heat and large trucks blowing past on rolling, shoulderless roads.

The climb out of Dorset - Probably "Life is a Highway" by Tom Cochrane. Not that shitty version by some country band. This song actually has little to do with this leg searing hill, but there is a 99.2% chance that someone will be blaring it from their boat or car as you ride through town, so why fight it.

Highway 117 to Baysville - Your favourite road trip album. Slap it in the big ring and enjoy. You will pay the price later, but who cares?

Brunel Rd to T2 - I would lean towards some Pantera or other popular metal or thrash, just to keep the adrenaline going on this rolling, curvy stretch, but since you probably overcooked at least 40% of the bike, some songs about regret might be appropriate as you dump into the granny gear to get over very small lumps in the road. Towards the end of the road, definitely "My Way" - either Frank's version, Sid's version, or that awful Bono/Frank remix - depending on how you paced the race to this point.

M_WareAaron WebsteyCraig_DTad_MKenElPescadoPeladoPubliusValeriusMatt

Comments

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    It's nice that your employer allows you to get drigh* during working hours on a Thursday!

This reminds me of the Ontario Provincials course preview you sent me back in 2001, before my first-ever draft-legal race. I can't do it justice by remembering any exact quotes, but I remember cracks about riding past African Lion Safari and bumming a dart as you run through a trailer park. Excellent work.

*drigh = drunk and high
    Tad_MKenElPescadoPeladoMartin
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Brilliant post. I'll be up there for the race, though I'm decidedly not fit. See you out there.
    Aaron WebsteyMartin
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

Brilliant post. I'll be up there for the race, though I'm decidedly not fit. See you out there.

Nice race, man. 4th OA while not fit, behind at least one recent ex-pro. Sandbagger. And if that's the Cymanski from Dimond, he probably only beat you because he was pissed about Dimond not getting into the bike test. Did they fix the downhill on Dwight Beach Road before the race?
  • Options
    Haha, thanks, thought I would do quite a bit worse...and no, they did not fix that downhill. And it rained in the morning so it was slick too. The road quality was fine compared to what I see riding, but it was by far the worst (in places) of any WTC race I've done. I'm surprised there isn't more outrage / demand for justice. Moot point really -- with 1400 registrants this race's days are numbered.
    Aaron WebsteyMartin
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    edited July 2017

Moot point really -- with 1400 registrants this race's days are numbered.

I think this sport has passed me by and left me behind.
    Martin
    #KOAT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch