frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Sunglasses on the Bike

RashRash Member
edited July 2017 in Main
My current aero helmet (Giro A2) makes wearing sunglasses a PITA. I can't put on the glasses then the helmet and once the helmet is on it's difficult to get the glasses in over my ears. On top of that, the helmet seems to contribute to the glasses instantly fogging up before I can get any speed to keep them clear.

In light of this, I am contemplating either forgoing the glasses all together (I race sprints primarily) or attaching them somewhere on my bike to try to put on further down the road once my feet are in and I am moving. Any thoughts or opinions on either of these strategies?

My first race in quite some time is on Saturday and figured I would try a new approach to test it out. This race, according to the race director, has a 900 meter climb at 8-9% right out of T2 so the fogging issue will be very real. (BTW - I think the race director has to be wrong - I am betting it's 2-4% and they just add 5% since no one in the Midwest knows what a climb looks like. I guess I'll find out soon enough.)

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited July 2017
    Get a new helmet. Cut off your ears. No need for glasses for a sprint. Keep your swim goggles on the entire time.
    scottysimonsen77Craig_DAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladokjrunninStruangGentlemanJerseyDaveFastCat1107
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    My two cents - I try to never, ever ride without eye protection. Call me paranoid, but catching a bug in the eye at +/- 25 mph can lead to a bad day. Whether a serious eye injury, or if it contributes to a crash. Are different glasses an option, where the temple pieces might fit better under the helmet? Maybe something with an anti-fog coating; or would a "frog spit"-type goggle anti-fogger help?

I wear Rx glasses myself, but haven't yet dumped the cash on either an Rx shield for my Giro Air Attack Shield (I've heard they can run close to $800?), or Rx swim goggles either. Depending on the time of day, sunlight & other conditions, I've gone with various combos of Rx sunnies or transition lens glasses under the shield, or just left the shield up/off if it would be too dark. Need to get some new wraparound Rx shades, broke the Nikes I had probably from throwing gear on a race morning last year, and have just rolled with some flat-front Puma sunnies ever since. Not that aero or fast to put on.
    RashGentlemanJerseyDave
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    My concern is eye protection as well. I'll mess around with a few different glasses I have laying around some more, but so far I have not found a pair that will let me put them on first followed by my helmet. For this Saturday, I think I'll try simply having my glasses tucked on the bike to put on at the top of the climb since I'll barely be moving heading up assuming it's as steep as described.

Should be much easier to put on while biking than standing on the ground in transition, right? Ha. Potential for an early flying dismount!
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    Check the course on Google Maps to see elevation profile?
    RashKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    I did and it doesn't show anything that nasty. Looks like 3-4% from what I can tell, however the race director assured me it's 8-9%. Either way, it's a climb out of T1 so I will be going slow since it takes me a long while to get my HR under control after standing up from the swim. This is a two lap swim so I will have to go through the near black out phase twice.
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I put a LG shield on my A2. Trimmed it down a bunch and installed it with some packing tape. Makes the helmet even harder to put on, but is looks like the bee's knees, man.

RashM_WareKenElPescadoPeladoNotSoFatLewTad_M
  • Options
    IanLIanL Member
    Giro Advantage 2 TT Helmet? That is what I have used for years. No issues at all using sunglasses for me.
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    @IanL - Yes - that's the one. Glad it works for you. Wish it worked just a little better for me.
  • Options
    Rash said:

I did and it doesn't show anything that nasty. Looks like 3-4% from what I can tell, however the race director assured me it's 8-9%. Either way, it's a climb out of T1 so I will be going slow

Maybe the RD is talking 10 ft @ 9%, over a 1/4 mile, overall 3% climb. He's a dick and a Chicken Little. Tell him I said so.
    RashAlexS
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    My review of the climb via Google Maps shows an astounding 200 feet of gain over 1.4 miles - I'm no gradient expert, but pretty sure that is "juuuuussst a bit outside" of 9%. Of course, if I manage to do well the grade was actually 24% for over 12 miles.
    kjrunninKenElPescadoPeladoTad_MMartinAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Aero helmet in a sprint? Is it worth the grief?

But on a serious note - if its causing you this much bother, why not just ditch the aero lid, over 20k the time savings won't stack up to much and the level of grief and faff putting them on (either stationary or on the road) and time loss for foggy vision (p.s. have you tried anti-frost) you probably find that 20s gain from the helmet is gone anyway!
    simonsen77
  • Options
    @andrewm88 nobody should be faffing in transition - they may have portapotties for that, or changing tents at a long course event - and I mean not even @AaronWebstey. Pretty sure that would be a DQ for indecent exposure.
    MattCraig_DTad_MAaron Webstey
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    No issues. Helmet on. Held the glasses between my teeth and slipped them on going up the hill. I just made it a point to practice the helmet on/glasses on routine a dozen times in advance. I guess practice does work.

As for the time savings, in a sprint it's worth the effort to gain 20s. I don't have all day to make that time up and need every second I can gain. I don't do sprints to practice for something else - that is what I race and I want to get faster across all 5 segments. Some day I may try some distances over Oly, however I want to get as fast as my genetics and time will allow before slowing down. I am young enough to the sport to still potentially make real gains in speed before trying to stretch that speed any further.
    M_WareMattMartinAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    EvanEvan Member
    Rash said:

No issues. Helmet on. Held the glasses between my teeth and slipped them on going up the hill. I just made it a point to practice the helmet on/glasses on routine a dozen times in advance. I guess practice does work.

BUT WAS IT 8-9%?!?!?!
    MartinAaron Websteyneil5young

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM
    Giro aerohead
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    It felt like it after the two lap swamp swim but I don't think it was that steep. I am sure there is a way to check on my 520 but this is all I could find.
    Keep in mind total ascent for the entire course was about 450 feet.
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    @Rash I'm 100% with you on the aero helmet for all distances. Anyone who says otherwise has never been pipped at the line in a sprint tri.

Do you have strava or Garmin connect? Those should allow you to see grades.
    KenElPescadoPeladoGentlemanJerseyDave
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    Climb topped out at 7.5% ranging from 4-7.5% but it was only .5 miles long.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch