frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Pubes Finally Sharing Results

Kiley Austin Young (aka Kileyay, aka Publius Valerius, aka Pubes) stated that the results of the independent wind tunnel testing we have all been waiting for, will be published today (Friday 6/30/17). He has stated that there is a definitive winner, and published an unlabeled drag chart showing the results. Anyone care to drop some guesses on the results? I'll go first...

1. Ventum 1
2. DB Andean
3. Cerv P5
4. Premier Tactical
5. Felt B Series
6. Cerv P5X
Aaron WebsteyOverBiker_SamCraig_D

Comments

• Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    P5X
    Premier Tactical
    Ventum
    Andean
    P5
    Felt
    Nate_Mach
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Oops, thought this was a thread about the outcome of someone's drug test. Carry on.
    maggieruCraig_DNate_Mach
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    scottyscotty Member
    edited June 2017
    P5
    Ventum
    Tactical
    Andean
    P5x
    Felt

I don't believe the hype at all re: the new super fairing bikes.
    ______

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I'm very disappointed that they did not pull Mark Allen's Huffy out of a museum as a control bike.

Based on nothing whatsoever:
    P5
    Tactical
    The others
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    why not black paper
    idking90simonsen77Mark_after_DarkMartin
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    edited June 2017
    1. Potts' old Kestrel......

@Martin, that is such a great thought. Really, I'd like to understand someone's stab at old Kona, etc. bike results to new aero era to appreciate some of the speculation. Has that been done with credibility anywhere? I haven't found anything with scientific substance. We are blasted by marketing claims, that cumulative would seem to imply we save 14.36 hours by now over old standard frames. What's the real accumulation?
    MartinKenElPescadoPeladoItsShugMamaCheetah
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM
    I see alot more people winning big races on canyon, Scott plasma, speed concepts, and shivs.. none of which were tested
    GasBomb
  • Options
    mbrekk44 said:

I see alot more people winning big races on canyon, Scott plasma, speed concepts, and shivs.. none of which were tested

Those brands make fewer crazy claims about their bikes. Also, engines>frames in those cases.
    mbrekk44
  • Options
    Please edit thread title to : "Nineteen page report confirms that red bikes are fastest."
    Subhead: "Maybe disc brakes don't totally suck after all"
    simonsen77M_WareTad_MCraig_DkjrunninNate_MachRobert RankinGasBomb
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Very cool. Thanks @PubliusValerius for your curiosity and effort!
    simonsen77M_Warembrekk44PubliusValeriusTad_MNate_MachMatt
    #KOAT
  • Options
    dessertdudedessertdude Member
    edited June 2017
    mbrekk44 said:

another bike would've cost another $300-500. 2 bikes another grand. 4 bikes another 2 grand... etc. not to mention sorting out acquiring those bikes for the testing, which would've been extremely difficult in the case of the canyon and the plasma (since i'm sure you mean the high end version of those two models even though you don't specify). if you paid attention to the fit protocol, a Shiv would've been a difficult choice as well.
    mbrekk44M_Ware
  • Options
    scottyscotty Member
    scotty said:

P5
    Ventum
    Tactical
    Andean
    P5x
    Felt

I don't believe the hype at all re: the new super fairing bikes.

Annnnnnnd.....I was wrong. Please send crow to the address on file.

I thought the Ventum would fare much better, but not surprised by how little difference there was between bikes. Also, the Felt as set up looks fast AF. Not what I was picturing.
    ______

• Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM

mbrekk44 said:

another bike would've cost another $300-500. 2 bikes another grand. 4 bikes another 2 grand... etc. not to mention sorting out acquiring those bikes for the testing, which would've been extremely difficult in the case of the canyon and the plasma (since i'm sure you mean the high end version of those two models even though you don't specify). if you paid attention to the fit protocol, a Shiv would've been a difficult choice as well.
    I totally get it.. I think it's cool as hell that you spent this much effort and money on this..I didn't mean it as snarky or anything.. I didn't pay attention to the fit protocol or any of the extreme details, so I probably shouldn't be posting about it.. I was just generalizing some of the bikes that have won big races the past few years..
    M_WareTad_MAaron WebsteyRobert RankinSdogMartin
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    edited June 2017
    What we have learned (or confirmed):

1. There is NOT a drastic difference in all of these frames.
    2. Make sure the bike you choose fits you.
    3. Have a good fit on the bike.
    4. Make solid choices for storage and hydration.
    5. Train hard and you will go fast(er).
    6. Use a disc (my own personal opinion but I think it holds true on 95% of courses out there).

YOU CAN'T BUY THAT MUCH SPEED. If they say "this bike gives you 25 watts of free speed" that is just marketing BS.
    Nate_MachRobert RankinMartinMamaCheetahSdog
  • Options
    As the guy with a shiny (though actually not cause it's matte black) new Ventum in his garage, I was a bit sad and taken aback by the results.

Then I remembered that the Ventum is the smoothest, comfiest, most well handled tri bike I have ever ridden, by quite a lot. Also, absolutely love how it looks. So needless to say, I don't feel sad anymore.

I think it's awesome that they made this whole thing happen, and showed us all how tight the margins really are (and that disc brakes ain't so bad.)

At the end of the day, get the bike you love and that fits you, then train your fucking ass off if you want to beat people!!
    M_WareAaron WebsteyCraig_DEmilyCocksMartinKenElPescadoPeladokjrunninSdog
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    My favorite part of that thread:

"still, it's ironic that 2 or 3 years after i first broached the subject of disc brakes in tri bikes we're now saying, 'give me some time; i think i can make rim brake bikes that equal the aero performance of the disc brake bike!'" - Stan

Yeah, he's the one who first broached the subject of disc brakes on tri bikes. And only 2 or 3 years ago. Nobody had considered disc brakes on tri bikes before that. He is the most delusional idiot to exist. Which is funny because it's in terms of triathlon, one of the most inconsequential and mostly embarrassing worlds.
    idking90PubliusValeriusPevashishDaul
  • Options
    Meh - the reality is 70% of drag comes from the person, so this is all a bit insignificant. Lets be honest, for most people, the fastest bike is the bike that fits and that they want to ride!
    kjrunnin
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    So true @andrewm88 , and @Nate_Mach
    Kudos to a good study. I will stay with my comfy bike and know that my American sized body contributes 99.9% of the drag in my experiment of 1
    Aaron WebsteyPubliusValeriusSdogsimonsen77MartinGasBombMamaCheetahkjrunnin
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    I just completed a well-funded tunnel test on different body positions and shapes. Results were very interesting. Key finding:

Riding with boner is most aero. Saves approximately 30 watts. Caveat. 12inch cock required and must rest snuggly between armrests.

Aaron WebsteySdogKenElPescadoPeladoGasBombTad_MMamaCheetahkjrunnin
  • Options

I'm just sorry it's not more controversial

Nailed it. If only the armchair aerodynamicist community would have accepted these four points with a chart or two I wouldn't have had to spend an entire day of my life teaching myself the statistics I didn't learn in school. Never again.
    M_Wareellsworth53tAaron WebsteyEmilyCocksRobert RankinSdogMartinHensatcCraig_DGasBombTad_M
  • Options
    ellsworth53tellsworth53t Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

I'm just sorry it's not more controversial

Nailed it. If only the armchair aerodynamicist community would have accepted these four points with a chart or two I wouldn't have had to spend an entire day of my life teaching myself the statistics I didn't learn in school. Never again.
    Pubes died for this.

Thanks, @PubliusValerius
    Aaron WebsteyPubliusValeriusMartinKenElPescadoPeladoGasBomb
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Buddy, I know we can't scratch the same itches that draw you inevitably to ST, but your attitude is appreciated here.
    Nate_MachRobert Rankinsimonsen77MartinGasBombTad_Mkjrunnin
    #KOAT
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    Thank you @PubliusValerius for taking this on. Perhaps dumb threads will cease to exist on Slowtwitch now. Oh wait, that will never happen......

But, we can all stay here for more "fun" conversations and a little bit of sarcasm and joking around :)
    Aaron WebsteyM_WarePubliusValeriusSdogNate_MachMartinCraig_DKenElPescadoPeladoTad_Mkjrunnin
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    I think you are all missing the larger picture here. If our significant others get hold of this report, they will no longer buy our claims of needing the latest and greatest bike because of all the speed we are losing due to our older un-aero frames. This report should be burned and stricken from the internet.
    Aaron WebsteyM_Waresimonsen77Nate_MachEmilyCocksMartinHensatcCraig_DKenElPescadoPeladoStruangTad_MKPSwim13scottyidking90Robert RankinAlexSMatt
  • Options
    wchevron said:

I think you are all missing the larger picture here. If our significant others get hold of this report, they will no longer buy our claims of needing the latest and greatest bike because of all the speed we are losing due to our older un-aero frames. This report should be burned and stricken from the internet.

True story! I almost opened my mouth about it to my wife this morning. Then I realized what a stupid idea that was!!
    MartinTad_MAaron Websteykjrunnin
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Buddy, I know we can't scratch the same itches that draw you inevitably to ST, but your attitude is appreciated here.

That's not actually fair. I am really only a scratching or itching ST person because of volume/critical mass of people and posters, which has nothing to do with quality.

I like the conversation here and where it's going a lot. This is a sport, for instance, that doesn't always just care about how much money you can spend on a fucking bicycle that doesn't make you any faster. It's a sport that actually has women in it like Emily (Cocks) from whom who you want to hear thoughts rather than just sniff the saddle or slam as someone taking up space on the pier. It's a sport that has a lot of really annoying social aspects that somehow we can't really effectively discuss on the biggest media and social media center in the sport.

Glad we can do some of this here

/rant over

Just don't group me into that shit again please
    M_WarewchevronGasBombTad_MMartinKPSwim13scottyEmilyCocksneil5youngPevashishDaulAaron WebsteyRobert Rankinsimonsen77kjrunninAlexSRyan HeislerSdogMatt
  • Options
    PevashishDaulPevashishDaul Member, POTM

That's not actually fair. I am really only a scratching or itching ST person because of volume/critical mass of people and posters, which has nothing to do with quality.

I like the conversation here and where it's going a lot. This is a sport, for instance, that doesn't always just care about how much money you can spend on a fucking bicycle that doesn't make you any faster. It's a sport that actually has women in it like Emily (Cocks) from whom who you want to hear thoughts rather than just sniff the saddle or slam as someone taking up space on the pier. It's a sport that has a lot of really annoying social aspects that somehow we can't really effectively discuss on the biggest media and social media center in the sport.

/rant over

Did you find all the bikes safe?
    Tad_Msimonsen77scottyMartinPubliusValeriusShepherd
  • Options

/rant over

Fair enough! Consider this your first #sworry. :)
    simonsen77Nate_MachPubliusValerius
    #KOAT
  • Options
    MamaCheetahMamaCheetah Member, POTM
    Peterot said:

I just completed a well-funded tunnel test on different body positions and shapes. Results were very interesting. Key finding:

Riding with boner is most aero. Saves approximately 30 watts. Caveat. 12inch cock required and must rest snuggly between armrests.

Better still: Riding with no cock is even more aero. #tacosrule

Tad_MPevashishDaulidking90simonsen77Aaron WebsteyCraig_DkjrunninMartinKenElPescadoPeladoPubliusValeriusmaggierurigpigwchevronMatt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch