frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

New and Creative Ways of Hurting Myself...

Haven't been on much as I'm killer busy with work and travel. This relates to the note above. Pretty sure I mentioned early on that I'm always hurting myself in new and creative ways. The first time I damaged my knee and need surgery was in 5th grade thanks to a wiffleball incident. I've had four concussions - the best was trying to jump ATVs in the Vegas Desert. I lost partial vision in one eye for months before it came back. My personal favorite was the time I missed a shoot after a swarm of hornets attacked my face after I disturbed their nest while trimming the bushes. I have a good photo from that one. The list is endless.

Last Saturday I was in Augusta filming a concert for a project I'm on and opted to step off a four foot riser onto a folding chair. Mind you I knew it was a bad idea and avoided doing it all 14 hours I was on this location. Well, my hard case was packed away and I went for it. The chair instantly collapsed on my leg and I took the four free fall. A nasty hamstring pull and deep deep bruise just above the knee have me sidelined. I was having a great training period. I'm hoping to do some swimming but am probably being ambitious.

Anyway, just want you all to know that I'm the Mr. Magoo of TRS Racing. At least the concert was solid. Share some fun odd injuries if you have em.

Great Uncle, Average Father, Mediocre Triathlete

TheoRyan HeislerAaron WebsteydanimalHSeeley14Scheck48oldmanchad

Comments

• Options
    Hurt my quad in a field goal kicking contest with my Brother the day after Christmas. Well a few months later I finally decide to ask a doctor if the lumps at the top and bottom of my quad are something to be concerned about. Turns out those lumps are the torn muscles! Anyone ever have this and can anyone comment on how long this will take to recover from? Doctor also says those lumps aren't going anywhere . . . just call me Quasi-friggin-modo.
    Aaron WebsteyGentlemanJerseyDaveScheck48

Brinz - TRS East - Boston Chapter

• Options
    I have two quarter size indented bruises still indented in my right leg right next to each other, just above the knee, i got a week apart from each other....in July 2014. One was from a bike crash and the other from some sticking-out-boat part I walked into.

And for about 3 years my shin was weirdly brused or something because it was numb to the touch untill this past year(update: just touched it and it still feels kinda funny). This was from rollerblading in a quarter pipe and landing on my shin on the 2 inch diameter metal coping. The only thing I willed myself to think on that one was "oh it feels like soft wonderful marshmallows are dancing on my shin! This does not hurt at allllll!" Real mind game with that one.

I feel your pain.
    Scheck48
    HMKP
  • Options
    Took a line drive to the face when I was 14. One of my two front teeth is held together with the equivalency of bondo, hopes, and dreams.

I tore the ulnar collateral ligament in my thumb skiing when the pole strap wrapped around my thumb, I planted the pole in ice, and it tore my arm backwards when I skied past it. I skied the remainder of the day (it is rare when the backside of Sugarloaf is open, and it was all fresh powder…). Got to my car, arm throbbing, and realizing: I drive stick. This'll be fun to do one-handed…2.5 hours back to Portland, proceed directly to ER, where they tell me I have a strain. Technically, they weren't wrong…realized there was a problem when I could dislocate my thumb and it didn't hurt to do so.

I tend to average one dumb ER visit per year. I hadn't had one in 2012 and 2013, so I was due in 2014.

I think I've covered a couple year's worth with my 2014.
    Aaron WebsteyScheck48Basementbiker
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @Brinz how about if I call you Quadsimodo? :)

My wife is a pro at this too; she got a paper cut on her eye yesterday while presenting at a meeting. Couple winters ago, I called her on the satellite phone from somewhere in the Caribbean and she said "I broke my butt!" - she had slipped on the stairs taking the compost out, and got a bruised/fractured tailbone. That was really fun to deal with while alone with two 6-month old boys :)

As for me, I've had 10+ "concussions", or at least hard enough bumps that I had to go get checked out and a Dr. claimed I had at least a mild concussion. At least 4 or 5 were pretty serious. I've never broken a bone, and rarely hurt anything else - my great rectangular brick of a melon always seems to get there first.

Concussions include (but are not limited to):

- "splitting my head open" (as my mom always says when relating the story) on a pool deck at age 4 (stitches)
    - bashing my eyebrow open on the corner of a cinder block while spinning circles in the dark with my cousin (stitches, scar)
    - bonking my head on ice (every Canadian has done this) when my dad was pulling me super fast with his scarf
    - exploded my nose on a slalom gate (inspiring a homemade slalom helmet using miniature straw hats, curtain rods, coat hangers, styrofoam, and a ton of duct tape)
    - kicked in the nose with a butterfly kick ("You can go ahead of me, you'll never catch the guy ahead of you ...")
    - fell off my bike when the chain skipped at 40km/hr and whipped my head onto the pavement (you've all done something like this)

I sat down and made a list at one point, but I lost it. Pretty sure the rest of em were minor enough that it's a bit of a stretch to call it a real concussion; although I feel like there's one more biggie that I'm forgetting. Comes with the territory I guess.

So now you know - my headbands are not just for fashion, they also provide a bit of a bumper, just in case.
    TheoScheck48oldmanchad
    #KOAT
  • Options
    You are all making me feel better - or that we've assembled a team of bad-ass klutz'
    Aaron WebsteyHSeeley14HMkrplunkit

• Options
    Oh, we're trading injuries?

In 2014, I spent just under six months in a cast and another three or so months in physical therapy.

I broke my distal radial in February trying to snowboard for the first time ever. Didn't realize it was broken for about a month, then went to the doctor, who looked at me a little crosseyed when I told her how long I'd been like that. Seven weeks in a cast.

In May I got hit by a car while on a training ride. Entered the roundabout, buddies behind me yelled, and I looked left just in time to see the car passing on the inside of the roundabout. Lady was on her phone, never even saw me. Some road rash and a broken triquetrum. Drove myself home, took about an hour long shower, used an arm sleeve and the ice packs from my compression knickers to make a cast and drove myself into the urgent care. Another seven weeks in the cast!

Then in October, I landed wrong on a trail run and apparently stress fractured my tibia. I didn't realize it was a fracture, though, so I kept running for another 4 miles. Walking was difficult the rest of the week. Only got the boot off on 2 January, been doing slow PT to get back to running again since.

Lesson: We're definitely the "Special Kids" race team.
    Aaron WebsteyScheck48

TRS East

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @Duckies I learned a new word today! Quite the injury.
    #KOAT
  • Options

@Duckies I learned a new word today! Quite the injury.

Aaron WebsteyRyan Heisler

TRS East

• Options
    Man, you guys are impressive with all the accidents!

I'm the polar opposite, in that the fact that I don't get more injured more often is a complete enigma to all who know me. I've only ever broken 1 bone in my life (a finger) despite all the crazy/stupid/dangerous shenanigans that I regularly engage in. Go figure...
    Scheck48

seems like kind of an asshole =)

• Options
    Note to self: @Theo is the one who gets the IcyHot as chamois cream at Toughman NY.
    HSeeley14Duckies
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    @rrheisler The flaw in that plan is that I hardly ever use chamois cream :-B

• Options
    Don't worry. We'll find a way to make that happen. Maybe just slather your saddle in it.
    TheoHSeeley14
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    In elementary school I was walking off the risers after choir practice (you'd think the story could end here considering how much injury choir brings to ones ego) and this jerk behind me thought it would be funny to give me a shove; I fell and the metal edge of the riser rammed into my coccyx - that sounds super dirty. I was walking like I'd dropped the soap in the prison shower for weeks. Couldn't run, couldn't sit without extreme pain, could barely walk.

I also tripped once when I was young and fell, no big deal until I saw there was a rock the size of a dime lodged under my knee cap. Oh, and it was pressed against a nerve. Screamed so loud people in our building thought I was being murdered. I had to take the rock out myself because my mom started dry heaving every time she looked at the wound.

More recently while I was running home from work through the downtown core of Vancouver I tripped over a chain link rope-fence along the sidewalk in a very busy area of town. I went flying, landed on my arm (the Garmin wearing arm) and smacked my head hard on the concrete. People came to help instantly and they looked really concerned, I kept insisting I was fine, just a bit sore and embarrassed, then one woman said, "your head is gushing blood!". Turns out there was a nice open slice above my left eye. I didn't want to make a fuss so I got up and walked toward a bus stop. My Garmin was destroyed. Turns out I had also fractured a rib, pulled or torn some kind of cartilage in between my ribs and had a mild concussion.

While not quite the klutz that @GentlemanJerseyDave seems to be I can sympathize with being an accident prone idiot ;)

Rest up and heal up so we can all plot an IcyHot crotch revenge against the injury free @Theo
    Scheck48GentlemanJerseyDaveTheooldmanchad
  • Options
    Took my girlfriend's road bike to the shop to get some work done. Propped the bike against the counter and was talking to the mechanic. Was not paying attention to the bike at all so I didn't notice the front tire had gotten sideways and was rolling away from the counter (towards me). Once the tire had rolled a few inches, the bike fell in kind of a downward/sideways motion. I was wearing sandals. The big chain ring in front came down right on the big toe on my left foot and also nicked my second toe (picture a v-shaped concave razor blade coming at your big toe at about a 45 degree angle with 18 pounds of weight behind it). Went into my big toe and severed the tendon that runs across the top of it. Had to get the tendon and the toes stitched back together. Left a huge pool of blood on the floor at the bike shop. I'm told I should have gotten surgery (I refused and said to just stitch the tendon). Couldn't do anything for a couple months. Thankfully, 9 months later, it's pretty normal except for some occasional stiffness.
    Scheck48HSeeley14oldmanchad

TRS WEST

• Options
    Scheck48Scheck48 Member
    edited February 2015
    This truly is a team of misfits. I only used to hold my breath until I passed out when I was a tyke. Then I spent so much time in the ER getting stitches the staff started questioning my parents about neglect/abuse.

Luckily I grew out of that phase a few months ago.

Ps- anything in "like" in this thread really stands for "holy shit!" Except for @Theo that's bullshit man!
    GentlemanJerseyDaveHMkrplunkitTheoHSeeley14_MurMan
  • Options
    There are some classics in here. I never like considering myself uncoordinated, I've always seen my injury history as a result of being active and having too many hair brained schemes.

Two years ago I sustained a back injury while playing frisbee at the fire house. I missed a race and three weeks of training on that one. I had a straight leg hit a curb jarring my degenerated disc - I'm not particularly proud of that one but I'm here.

Next time I'll tell you about my allergic reaction to a cortisone shot after my IT Band injury - worse than the injury itself. Ha ha.
    Aaron Webstey

• Options
    Considering that I've ridden bicycles seriously for 20 years, it's a wonder I've only had one major injury while riding them. When I was around seven years old, my brother and I built a jump in the driveway by digging a small hole and piling the dirt in front of it. The idea was to ride at it as fast as possible and somehow clear the hole. Instead my front wheel nosedived and came to a sudden stop, throwing my feet off the pedals and my face into the crossbar of the handlebars. Half of my front tooth is probably still in that driveway somewhere.

The rest of my major injuries, a broken tailbone, broken elbow, concussion, torn meniscus in my knee, and a bruise-divot in my ass came on the dirt bike, but I'll save that story for another day.
    GentlemanJerseyDaveJames LangeAaron Websteyoldmanchad
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Nice, worst bike accident was also from a home-made jump when I was 5 or 6. Pretty good case of road rash on my cheek and chin. Pretty bad ass.
    TheoAaron Websteyoldmanchad

• Options
    I've had my fair share of broken bones as well. Broke my right arm on the playground in grade 3, broke my right wrist playing hockey and broke it again skiing. Broke my left wrist snowboarding and sprained both ankles at the same time while skateboarding. Shattered my left ankle dirt biking. This one left me with 2 screws in my ankle as well. On a positive note, the dirtbiking accident pissed me off so much that I sold the dirt bike and bought a road bike. This then led me down the path to triathlon.
    Aaron WebsteyJames Lange

Kelly Lentz
    TRS Canada Chapter
    Please direct all complaints to James Lange

• Options
    2005 I hit an Illegal Alien on Coronado Island with my bike. He and his friend did not speak English and they didn't understand when I said passing on the left and they stepped left. One was knocked out while the other was trying to help him - I fucked my bike up and had good road rash - I left them where they laid/where I hit them.

2010, Thanksgiving Day, had been back from Afghanistan for about a month and on my brand new Trek Speed Concept (bought with my deployment money) and got hit by a car in Carlsbad California (by the Starbucks for my Cali Teammates). Tried calling my wife as I probably had a concussion as I hit the mirror head first - I still wear same helmet as of today - but she could not hear her phone as she was preparing dinner for family so I had to ride home.

1993, Got stabbed with a screw driver during a fight with my roommate, when on deployment to Okinawa (Camp Schwab). Walked to the BAS with my roommates. Doc said he couldn't sew me up because I'd been drinking. I told him I was about to pass out and to just take care of it. which he did and I woke up and went back to our Barracks room and started drinking again. Told the Platoon Sergeant the following Monday I fell down. I have a good polaroid of me and all the roommates with a towel wrapped around my head before we headed to BAS to get fixed.
    Aaron WebsteyJames LangeGentlemanJerseyDaveDHansenTri

TRS WEST - NOLA, Miller Lite Drinking Truck Driver

• Options
    Jesus @oldmanchad . Are you archiving all this stuff somewhere for a memoir?
    Ryan HeislerHSeeley14
    #KOAT
  • Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I've. Even gone for a while, but this is a perfect thread for reentry.

Let's do chronological:

1st time on a bike w/or training wheels I crashed into a wrought iron schoolyard fence and peed blood for a week or three, along with knocking out some teeth.

First grade: was doing wheelies on the sidewalk and went too far back, hitting my head in displaced concrete, then the handbags hit the front. Fractured skull, coma for, I don't know, a few days? And had to wear neighbor's motorcycle helmet to ride in once I was back up and around.

Still grade school, playing football, dove fore an interception (made it!) but landed face first in the mud. Face mask got stuck, pinched a nerve in my neck and was paralyzed to almost 2 days. Played the next week because I'm an idiot. Same year, was playing around in a half destroyed shopping cart, it flipped and a 'spoke' went through my ankle and stuck into the ground. Amazingly only needed a few stitches.

Middle school: broke my nose for the first time fighting. Then again that same month playing tag with my sister. She knew I was behind a door, but she didn't know I was crouching. Lotta blood from that one.

HS: broke my coccyx rollerblading and trying to grind down a railing at the Art Museum. Tore meniscus in my knee getting "tackled" playing soccer because the other team didn't like that I was American (was playing in Portugal). Thought I disloacated my finger (which I've done multiple times and am used to just popping them, and my toes, back into place), tried to put it back. Repeatedly. Finally stopped when I pushed skin through the bone. Which ended my piano playing days.

Post HS: broken fingers, toes, ribs. All multiple times. At least a dozen, serious, concussions, probably 4 or 5 that had me unconscious. Most recent was last April when I got jumped and had my nose broken again (That's the surgery I had last Thursday, which I live tweeted). Bike crash in Aug '13. Originally thought I just had road rash and some bruising. Turned out had 8 broken ribs, torn cartilage, torn pectoral muscles, bruised lung, fractured wrist. And, last Monday, I crashed a jet ski in Key West and wife wanted me to go to the ER to see if I broke my hip. It was just a bruise. But an awesome fucking crash.
    TheooldmanchadAaron WebsteyRyan HeislermorganstyerScheck48HSeeley14
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |
  • Options
    Sweet sassy molassy, @yournotunique

were-not-worthy
    yournotuniqueSteve HalewskimorganstyerHSeeley14
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Ryan HeislerRyan Heisler Member
    edited February 2015
    For my fellow multiple concussion sufferers:

First, how many of you have dealt with post-concussion syndrome symptoms? I had about three months worth of migraines, light sensitivity, dizziness, etc. following my last crash (3rd or 4th documented concussion, for what it's worth). If you have: anything beyond time/rest that you found useful? I'm still trying to recover some of my short-term memory.

Secondly: I am talking with CPSC regarding MIPS helmets and the like, trying to determine actual reduction in likelihood of concussions. Current helmets are great for preventing skull fractures…concussions, as we know, not so much. Is there interest in this at all? Additionally, what helmets are you wearing now?

Now, if we're going to go into full on injury history:

Got hit by a car when I was ten walking across the street to catch the bus. Somebody was distracted and never hit the brakes until they were five feet in front of me. Hit the car and bounced off it, landed on my right side. Broke the wrist pretty well, including the growth plate. So my right wrist is smaller than my left by a decent amount. (Insert limp-wrist joke here.)

Got clipped by the mirror of a car out riding for my first long ride aboard my new tri bike in 2010, starting a whole long line of me destroying carbon frames. Got lucky in that I managed to keep it upright until being forced off the shoulder of the road. Hit and run. No major injuries.

Broke my foot in a trail run in 2013 just stepping the wrong way. Earlier that summer I'd posted the following photo on the run at a race, proclaiming that I was attempting to rival Jesse Thomas for Hairest Chest in Triathlon:

Since that photo has been published, I broke my foot, won some AG awards, and fractured my spine. So, in other words, my transformation into his doppelgänger really just needs a pair of aviators to be completed.
    Aaron WebsteyPreachSwansonyournotuniqueScheck48TheoHSeeley14HMkrplunkitoldmanchad
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    @rrheisler Depending on the severity, and/or how close together they are (I had one in December '13, then again April '14) symptoms, for me, will range from a couple weeks to a few months. The April one had me still a little off well into early July. Light sensitivity is, thankfully, not usually a big one for me. I tend to get migraines early, then consistent headaches, fatigue, short term memory loss, and massive irritability/short temper.

I was reading a recent study, however, that showed that activity -instead of rest- did a much better job of repair and recovery. So I think I'm going to try that next time.
  • Options
    @yournotunique I've been utilizing a concussion protocol for rehab since mid-November. Essentially, you load cardiovascularly until symptoms appear. Subtract 5-10bpm and train there. Re-test weekly for progress.

I got to the irritability point big time as well, which was incredibly tough on Hannah. I also had some severe anxiety issues, as my brace/cast wouldn't let me take a deep breath.
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    @rrheisler @yournotunique due to the current lack of TRS radio to fill up time and your propensity to hurt yourselves, I would highly recommend that you guys watch this talk on Concussions in sport. UCSF put on this series of the medicine of cycling a couple years ago and it was super eye-opening information and content. While I may not hurt myself often, the nature of my hobbies makes it that I'm around people who do, which makes this also relevant for me :)

• Options
    Who's a concussion?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch