frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Should I get race specific tires and tubes?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @Sdog thanks. We're about the same size so good advice. I usually run about 110 psi in mine and usually double check my pressures before every ride anyway.

@KHilgendorf appreciate the clarification. Do you think it's worth it then to put tape in or leave as is when using latex tubes?
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @Craig D you don't need anything in there. If it's air-tight, the latex tube won't find anything to get into. Adding tape will just make installing the tubes and tires more difficult.
    Craig_D
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    edited June 2017
    FWIW: Last year 3 races with butyl tubes, vs. this year's latex tube race. @ellsworth53t don't grill me too hard, since I have not attempted any correction for air density or wind variation, but this is a rolling tree lined course, and wind is reduced as a factor. I added somewhat of a theoretical line of power vs. speed according to bikecalculator.com
    Here's 4 races all on the same sprint course from June 16 to June 17. Dry conditions for all races. I've weighed within 5 lbs for all races, shaved and worn same helmet and shoes, and my bike is identical down to the tires and pressure except for some tire wear between the races. My kit changed this year to include the sleeved top vs. last years.
    You are not able to see my power because Tim Don says that gives all of you an advantage (really because you'd laugh at me). The lines on the Y axis are every 5 watts.
    I will update later if I can do more in the series this year, but just one data point would indicate to me that the latex MAY HAVE equated to about 5w.
    You see the other variation in the prior 3 races, so more data is needed for me to say it's conclusive. I don't draft, but I do have folks to pass each race. The spots below and above the theoretical trend last year seemed logical according to one race having lots of folks to pass and momentarily draft on and another that seemed more solitary. This race felt middle of the road regarding traffic.
    It certainly feels nicer on this course with the latex tubes.

SdogKenElPescadoPeladoRobert RankinCraig_Dsimonsen77
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Matt said:

What's your Y-axis?

Beers consumed night prior to race.
    Tad_MAaron WebsteyCraig_DKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Matt said:

What's your Y-axis?

Avg Power, 5 watts per line.
    Aaron Webstey
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    SdogSdog Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @Matt

You wanted and update after a week or so.....

INGROWN HAIRS!!!
    MattAaron WebsteyCraig_DMartin
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Installed new Conti's and latex tubes last night. What a friggin pita... However. Had a pretty decent ride today. Hard to say if they made a big difference speed wise. On rough chip seal I didn't notice a lot of change. However on better roads I did notice a big drop in what seemed to be road noise. Curious to see what happens in a race in a few weeks. Thanks for starting this thread.
    M_WareKenElPescadoPeladoTad_MSdog
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    scottyscotty Member
    Just set up my new ENVEs with vittoria latex and some Zipp Tangente Courses. Was actually really surprised by how easy it was...didn't seem any more complicated that butyl. Rode them today for the first time. It did feel noticeably smoother, but that might have been partially the new wheels.

I was kind of freaked out after reading all this stuff elsewhere online about the dangers of combining latex and carbon clinchers. My mechanic (former pro cyclist, former tour mechanic) looked at me like I was crazy when I told him my concerns. I basically WebMDed myself.
    MartinCraig_DSdogTad_MKenElPescadoPeladoAaron Websteysimonsen77
    ______

• Options
    Piece of advice. Make sure you keep them pumped. Just went to fill mine to do a maintenance check before racing tomorrow. Ride my road bike mostly. Haven't touched the tri bike since last race. Tires empty, have to force pump over valve extenders, blow out around valve stem. Now I'll have a buytul and latex tomorrow. Glad that happened tonight and not tomorrow
    Craig_DTad_Mscotty

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM

Piece of advice. Make sure you keep them pumped. Just went to fill mine to do a maintenance check before racing tomorrow. Ride my road bike mostly. Haven't touched the tri bike since last race. Tires empty, have to force pump over valve extenders, blow out around valve stem. Now I'll have a buytul and latex tomorrow. Glad that happened tonight and not tomorrow

I had that happen a couple of times with my latex tubes when I let them go flat. I ended up going back to butyl. I can't tell the difference.

Aaron WebsteyRobert Rankin
  • Options
    It's hard to tell speed wise. I did notice a difference in comfort, but maybe that was a placebo because I was told I'm supposed to? I did the second race in a series last weekend. Same course, wind direction, and speed almost (sse at 2 mph race one, sse at 3 mph race 2 according to accuweather).

Race 1 was 2 latex tubes and 59:33 24.4 mph 251AP 257NP HR162
    Race 2 was butyl up front latex in back 59:50 24.4 mph 254AP 260NP HR168 (it did measure .04 longer)

TL;DR- I still don't know if it's any faster, but they're cheap from probikekit so I'll keep trying them
    Tad_MAaron WebsteyCraig_D

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch