frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Can a man wear a sports bra?

Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
In the new WTC rules, any man unzipping his tri suit below his sternum can get DQ'd, yet women can run in sports bras. If a man wore a sports bra, would he be DQ'd? And who is willing to test this out?
Aaron WebsteyMamaCheetahHSeeley14

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
  • Options
    maggierumaggieru Member, Pro Triathlete
    This actually came up in the Chattanooga Pro meeting and I believe they said yes to man bras. But I've heard varying reports at different races, including where they enforced the rule even for women wearing sports bras and the zipper just went a touch too far. Scandalous!
    Mark_after_DarkAaron WebsteyMamaCheetahHSeeley14
    insta: @magrusch
  • Options
    I am Orthodox so I actually have to do all my triathlons through a hole in a sheet
    MattKenElPescadoPeladombrekk44Aaron WebsteyMamaCheetahCraig_DHSeeley14scottyyournotunique
  • Options
    SralstonSralston Member, Pro Triathlete
    old school style... speedos and crop tops. BRING THEM BACK
    M_WareMartinMatt
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM

KenElPescadoPeladoM_WareAaron Websteysimonsen77MamaCheetahTad_MCraig_DHSeeley14Brent_R
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Sralston said:

old school style... speedos and crop tops. BRING THEM BACK

Agreed:

Aaron WebsteyMamaCheetahMartin
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    WTC rules are a joke. ITU rules have the same uniform requirements for men and women.
    Aaron Websteyidking90MamaCheetahCraig_DHSeeley14Brent_R

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

WTC rules are a joke. ITU rules have the same uniform requirements for men and women.

Without specifically trashing either organization, it's almost like one is a giant joke of a cash cow with blatant disregard for customers, pros, or integrity, and the other is striving to produce a truly professional environment and valid international governing body as per IOC regulations
    StruangM_Waresimonsen77idking90Tad_MJennifer PostCraig_DtrineuropaKelly O'MaraHSeeley14Brent_RyournotuniqueMartin
    #KOAT
  • Options
    SdogSdog Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I don't understand why you have to wear a shirt at all? That makes no sense to me. Just wait until someone drops from heat stroke because they are zipped into a top and their body cant cool its self as effectively. I know I have been in situations where taking my shirt off has cooled my core temp and allowed me to keep running. No shirt is always cooler than a shirt.

Someone please tell me if I am missing something here? Why would any race director want to subject its racers to conditions that are harsher than necessary? This sounds like a health risk.
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Sdog said:

Someone please tell me if I am missing something here? Why would any race director want to subject its racers to conditions that are harsher than necessary? This sounds like a health risk.

It's out of deference to the host communities. WTC has decided that men must wear tops so they don't upset volunteers and spectators. But it's cool for women to prance about in bikinis because sex.

When I lived in Malaysia, I would always run in a singlet so I didn't disrespect the culture. Even in 90 deg heat and 90% humidity. Similar idea with WTC, though it is a bit of a double standard with men vs women. In local races I go in just a speedo. For the one WTC ace I've done recently, I added a mankini top.

Aaron WebsteySdogHSeeley14
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM

Absolutely @James Lange
    Now we will see if WTC really wants to disqualify Sebastian for wearing his zip top. (unless the bottom of his sternum actually resides at his navel - it's possible I guess - certainly you'd have a medical exemption for 'low sternum'). This was displayed beautifully on the IM site's amazing video coverage. These rules are such a laugh, and the enforcement is a laugh. Why are they even going through this nonsense.
    Aaron WebsteyMark_after_DarkEmilyCocks
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM

I think the rule is stupid. But WTC can't enforce on anyone the rest of the year since they let Kienle cross the line like that. Definitely not fixed "promptly" per the WTC rules to avoid DQ.
    Aaron WebsteyTad_M
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    it seems it was undone on the bike as well so a zipper must have broken. But, we had Jesse Thomas running around and finding duct tape in T1 due to not wanting get dq'ed so this needs to be looked at.
  • Options
    I don't understand this rule. My kit does this, mostly because I'm large and it's tight. If I unzip at all the zipper start to slide down. Technically what Sebi is doing, in the pic that Ironman put out, is illegal?

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    You can see the female part of his zipper half way up in that picture, it does look like it was broken.
    Aaron WebsteyGentlemanJerseyDaveRobert Rankin
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Funny how WTC has us talking about a damn zipper instead of that time and performance. Laughable. My takeaways from the 2017 Tri season so far has been something about cancelled swims, defective frames that might not be defective and exposed navals. (Editor's note: navels) And Ben is still doing the best interviews for the sport.
    Aaron Websteymbrekk44

Great Uncle, Average Father, Mediocre Triathlete

• Options
    So if I'm warm and don't want to be DQ'd, just break the zipper? Lot of broken zippers in Germany.

I'm not saying DQ anyone, just adding to the "the rule is stupid" idea. I have one WTC race this year and hope I don't get one of the picky officials.

GentlemanJerseyDaveTad_M

• Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    edited July 2017
    I'm sure it broke when Sebi twisted it enough times exiting T1 until the metal fatigued and snapped.
    Unavoidable.

P.S. To the head of team kit design: Can the 2018 TRS/Baucco Squad kits have nipples integrated into the design scheme? Male and Female equal of course.
    KenElPescadoPeladoCraig_Dmbrekk44Matt
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    In other news from Sebi, I really hope NB will make these 1500's he was wearing available to the public.

KenElPescadoPeladoMattTad_MM_Ware

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch