frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

IT band help

ellsworth53tellsworth53t Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
Fuck me.
HSeeley14Evan

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2017

Fuck me.

I've been running consistently for the last year, basically non stop, hovering between 15-35 mpw. Gloiously not a single running issue.
    I've been at about 25 mpw, finished base phase feeling great and just beginning to build to ironman. 2 weeks ago, I ran a half marathon.
    Now, I have raging ITBS on the outside of my left knee. I tried to jog tonight and made it 5 steps.
    Tell me what to do. Tell me it will be ok. Unfuck my knee.
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Two weeks off from running. Ice and ibuprofen. Sworry. Look at it as a swim focused training block.
    fyrehaarHSeeley14ellsworth53t

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on? @AaronWebstey says It usually helps his IT problems
    maggieruKenElPescadoPeladoAaron WebsteyMark_after_DarkGasBombTad_MMartinCraig_DfyrehaarDawnCBrent_Rellsworth53tHSeeley14Evan
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug
  • Options
    ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    In seriousness tho I had a friend that had it and he had some special stretches that helped ease the pain, but other than that it was like a 6-9 month recovery time.
    ellsworth53t
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug
  • Options
    Rest, rest, rest. Ice, Ice. Ice. It does help to wrap it to increase blood flow directly to the effected area. I had a wicked bad IT Band issue. I got the cortisone shot and you know how .001% of people have the allergic reaction? Yeah, that was me - lucky as shit. Speaking of shit...

Seriously, recovery is going to be based on a case by case basis. Took me three months. There is no way to run through it. Good news is I've never had an IT Band issue again. I picked up a bout of Patella Tendinitis this spring but that too was a similar course of treatment.

Don't rush it. It will get better and you can certainly make it worse.
    ellsworth53t

Great Uncle, Average Father, Mediocre Triathlete

• Options
    IanLIanL Member
    IT Band is a symptom. It is never acute, you likely just didn't notice it much before the race. Luckily, short of something actually broken in there it is not that hard to get back.

The issue is almost assuredly your hip/glute on that side. Exercises that target the strength in that area are the best thing you can do. Single leg squats are probably the best way to start. Glute bridges as well.

Rest takes away the symptom temporarily but does little to actually heal you up.

If you can see a physio or chiro that knows sports that is a great start. They can help assess the issue first hand and show you through the exercises. And do them!

If you use a foam roller avoid the temptation to roll on the IT band itself. The issue is one of compression, so pressing on it won't help. Instead roll on either side to loosen up constricted muscles. You can't really roll a tendon anyway.

In the short term, strength exercises and hit the pool with a pull buoy. Work on that swim. Cycling may or may not hurt. For some it does. If you feel the knee tightening while cycling, halt that for a bit.

After a few days start back with some good power walks. If those are fine stick with that for a week or so before attempting very short run walks. Never run though the pain or discomfort.
    Aaron WebsteyG Scott Layherellsworth53tTad_MfyrehaarGranpa ChookHSeeley14DerekL
  • Options
    My physical Therapist had me do tons of work on strengthening the hip and glute on the side that hurt.

I did lots of band work, tons of squats (one legged and regular) and a bit of the side to side skating motion. Also the sidestep with a band around ankles.

It took about 3 weeks of work and has yet to come back (knock on wood).
    ellsworth53tIanLCraig_Dfyrehaar
  • Options
    IanLIanL Member

My physical Therapist had me do tons of work on strengthening the hip and glute on the side that hurt.

I did lots of band work, tons of squats (one legged and regular) and a bit of the side to side skating motion. Also the sidestep with a band around ankles.

It took about 3 weeks of work and has yet to come back (knock on wood).

This sounds about right. Catch it early, and get that strength work. And most physio takes at least 3 weeks to kick in, so be patient.

Even with advise, I would still suggest you see someone. Having a good quality physio look you over is a good idea for all adult athletes.

fyrehaarellsworth53tGranpa ChookHSeeley14
  • Options
    No question about the hip advice. I was later revealed to have a serious hip issue that the IT band was likely an early indicator of. Being genetic there was nothing I could do with the hip in the end but yeah - this is sound advice on the strengthening front.
    IanLellsworth53t

Great Uncle, Average Father, Mediocre Triathlete

• Options
    ToefuzzToefuzz Member
    I've been fighting ITBS for 18 months now. I've been through multiple rounds of physical therapy with three different therapists, have tried every kind of shoe you can imagine, been to two different orthopedic doctors, had the shots, massage, stretched, strengthened hips and glutes, ultrasound, and pretty much anything else you can imagine. I was able to get my long run up to 10 miles while training for IMLou last year but it reared its ugly head within 2 miles of the run. Fortunately I tossed some ibuprofen in my running belt and was able to dull the pain enough to run, though it really set me back as I messed things up going forward. With all that being said, I was talking with a teammate who I don't really know and he had just launched a line of modular insoles for running shoes. His background is custom inserts, biomechanics, etc and he got tires of the custom insert racket so he came up with a better solution...he took one look at me, said "easy fix" and holy shit he was right. I have been pain free for a month now and couldn't be happier.

https://gravitusinsoles.com
    ellsworth53t
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    ellsworth53tEvan
  • Options
    The other thing I did that was important was, I went to my local running store and asked who the best PT person in our area for runners. They suggested a guy, who has since become a friend, who is not only a PT but also a triathlete and ultra runner.
    KenElPescadoPeladoellsworth53t
  • Options
    ITBS suuuuuuucks.

Rest - get physical therapy and do the homework they give you. Mine tries to flare up every now and then and I tame it back down by being a good monkey with my strengthening exercises.

Definitely check your shoes.

Good luck.
    ellsworth53tHSeeley14kjrunnin
  • Options
    scottyscotty Member
    Find a chiro who does ART and have him graston the shit out of it. Took me 3 visits and a lot of bruising but it was gone.
    KenElPescadoPeladoellsworth53tTad_M
    ______

• Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I just went through the same thing. I bought new shoes and then got to work on foam rolling, strength and stretching. It's much better. Also try some vertical kicking in the pool after a workout as that has helped me lots as well.
    ellsworth53tfyrehaar
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    ToefuzzToefuzz Member
    I should mention that I am using the Gravitus Plus insoles...forgot he had regular non custom ones as well.
  • Options
    weichtweicht Member
    Mine acted up 2wks before IM MD last year and I had to suck it up buttercup to get through the race... Unfortunately, with 3mos off, 2 physical therapists, a MFT of stretching/rolling I still have issues that have caused me to take all races off my 2017 calendar at the moment.

1. Both therapists said it was due to tight hamstrings/calves/hips and the knee/IT band area is the weakest link. So, the hip exercise advice could be right.
    2. Have your running form and cadence checked out could help. For me, it was noted that I tend to heel strike with a straight leg. Thus, there is a lot of pressure in the knee when landing. Plus, my cadence was incredibly slow a I was way too much Long Runs and not enough Hill/Speed Work. I was encouraged to a) get softer sole shoes (switched from Nike to Hoka) and b) increase cadence (shoot for ~180spm).
    3. I never had any noticeable swelling but if you do, ice n Advil couldn't hurt. If you did not take advantage of the Normatec deal, find someone who had had knee replacement surgery and ask if they received one of those knee wraps that connect to a bucket of ice water. That could help isolate the entire knee area vs just the side.

Good Luck!
    ellsworth53tfyrehaarHSeeley14
  • Options
    Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I had a bout of this a few years ago on my hip and went through all the strength stuff.
    The shitty thing is that this time it's in my knee and there wasn't much warning or chance to get out ahead of it. I've stepped back from the ledge and I'll start rehabbing.
    M_WareDawnCfyrehaarMark_after_Dark
  • Options
    Martin said:

I hate you so much right now
    ItsShugAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoMartinTad_MHSeeley14kjrunnin
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Your MRI results are in. Here's what's going on with your It.

M_WareTad_MGasBomb
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options

Aaron WebsteyStruangM_WareKenElPescadoPeladoTad_MGasBombMartinHSeeley14Craig_D
  • Options
    http://www.runningwritings.com/2012/02/injury-series-biomechanical-solutions.html Specific research-backed advice.

Same ol same ol. Strengthen the glute and hip, do the Fredericson protocol, be careful about the camber of roads, get strong and don't run races that you aren't ready for. I'll add that knee stability doesn't just come from the glute, but also the ankle/foot, so work on that as well.

Aaron WebsteyHSeeley14ellsworth53tfyrehaar
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    What everyone else said, minus the foam rollers. Too intense if you are injured, but you can introduce easy foam rolling once you are healed.

My wife is having similar issues right now. I hope for your sig other that you are less grumpy than she is.
    Aaron Websteykjrunninellsworth53t
  • Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I have been told by numerous RMT's and Physios that rolling your IT band is pointless, but I am not an expert. I roll the shit out of it and to no avail, so I focus on the area just above the outside of the knee where the IT connects and it hurts like fuck when I roll it so that must be the spot. Anyway, agree on most points above, strength and flexibility will help in the long run, but if you haven't already, you could try IMS or at least acupuncture for the acute flare ups. It was the only thing that helped me to alleviate the major pain so I could keep training while also integrating more strength work. And by training I mean biking and swimming, only a turd would run through this kind of injury. Of course, you could try pool running, it's super fun :s
    KenElPescadoPeladoellsworth53tAaron WebsteyCraig_Dkjrunninfyrehaar
  • Options
    scottyscotty Member
    Graston graston graston. Give it a shot.
    ______

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    I've had periodic ITBS for over 20 years usually always on my right side. In my case it is more of a canary in a coal mine, in that it acts up as a result of something else going on. Right now, issues with my opposite leg are inflaming the IT.

For some reason swimming has helped previously. (I do not swim regularly)
    There are some IT stretches but I haven't had much luck with them. Right now I am working the foam roller but am concentrating on my issues on the opposite side, but it does help tamp down the IT flareup.
    ellsworth53t
    WTC Free since 2010

• Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    edited May 2017
    Something interesting I thought I'd pass along as well. I found almost immediate relief with a couple of good functional movements that activated my flutes alittle more. The pain sort of shifted to my low back. I bought an inversion table that can stop about 10 degrees from full inversion. I could feel how tight my quad on the side that the IT was giving me trouble, both side hip flexor, and obliques were. Between the simple exercises and the inversion table a bunch of times through the day for as long as you could stand the blood rush to your head, all issues have fully cleared up. 5 days total. If you have access to a table try it out and it may tell you what's driving the issue.
    Edit: link to some of the exercises. https://breakingmuscle.com/video/cure-low-back-pain-contract-and-press-for-hip-alignment
    ellsworth53tKenElPescadoPelado
    Canadian Division
  • Options

I got in an hour today with almost no pain and ran 9 this weekend with little issue (despite the hit my fitness has taken).
    I think the whole issue stemmed from my left cleat bolted on slightly inward, which put pressure on the outside of my leg and tightened up the tendon. I adjusted the cleat, the knee pain has been going down and almost gone.
    Now, to figure out how to get thru that whole ironman shuffle I have to do in about 45 days......
    M_WarekjrunninToefuzzwchevronTad_MGentlemanJerseyDaveAaron WebsteyGranpa Chookfyrehaarsimonsen77Craig_DKenElPescadoPelado

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch