frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Talk me in to (or out of?) a nice fall / winter marathon

Elaine KElaine K Member, Rooster Endurance Member
I think I want to do another one. I got to do the National Guard Marathon as part of my state's team and I want to qualify again. Qualification was easy, because I was the only female that applied. :)

Considering Philly (where my family is), or maybe even the Tucson marathon (because I live there), but I'm open to suggestions. Just needs to be sometime this year.
Tucson, AZ
MamaCheetah

Comments

• Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Come run Seattle in November!

Like you, I wanted a marathon sometime this year and timing wise for me, it needs to be late in the year to work with my other plans. I was going to do Honolulu in December but then I signed up for Aruba and with my youngest heading off to post-secondary this fall, I can't afford 2 big trips so had to stay localish.

The weather is almost guaranteed to be terrible and every time I run a marathon in Seattle, I swear I will never run another marathon in Seattle. Sounds awesome, right?
    Elaine KTad_M

• Options
    edited April 2017
    kjrunnin said:

Come run Seattle in November!

The weather is almost guaranteed to be terrible

Well, it's a different kind of terrible than I usually encounter, so it could be fun! Bonus points of running along the waterfront.

Tad_M
    Tucson, AZ
  • Options
    I'm planning to do the Philly Marathon in November (assuming my body doesn't break in the lead-up). My sister lives there and the timing is perfect for a Turkey Day trip. Looks relatively flat and you get to hang out at the Rocky statue after, so not sure you can beat that.
    Tad_M

• Options
    MamaCheetahMamaCheetah Member, POTM
    Do California International Marathon in December because, wine.
    MartinKenElPescadoPeladoscottyfyrehaarTad_Mmaggieru
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Long course is for suckers. Find a marathon with a bunch of shorter events, run a 5k then go drink beer at the 20 mile mark
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaron Websteysimonsen77MamaCheetahNotSoFatLewTad_Midking90
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Tucson is supposed to be an easy BQ with the downhillishness. #justsaying
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    Martin said:

Long course is for suckers. Find a marathon with a bunch of shorter events, run a 5k then go drink beer at the 20 mile mark

I've done that a few times :)
    MamaCheetah
    Tucson, AZ
  • Options

Tucson is supposed to be an easy BQ with the downhillishness. #justsaying

Will not be ready for that in December. Will be ready to qualify for the AZ National Guard team because that's basically just finishing one :)
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaron Webstey
    Tucson, AZ
  • Options

I'm planning to do the Philly Marathon in November (assuming my body doesn't break in the lead-up). My sister lives there and the timing is perfect for a Turkey Day trip. Looks relatively flat and you get to hang out at the Rocky statue after, so not sure you can beat that.

I've done the half! I was considering this, but I'm not sure anyone in my family is running it this year
    Tucson, AZ
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM
    I would recommend Los Angeles marathon in February.. I did it a couple years ago, lots of people and a cool way to see the city.. a few hills, but nothing crazy and the last two miles are downhill to santa Monica Beach! And you get to see the Hollywood sign (much different than the corn fields that I'm used to)
    M_WarekjrunninAaron WebsteyMamaCheetahRobert Rankin
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    LA is on my race bucket list. I was supposed to run it in 2016 but tore my calf and it became just another race I signed up for but didn't run. That one is probably way better than Seattle @Elaine K

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    kjrunnin said:

LA is on my race bucket list. I was supposed to run it in 2016 but tore my calf and it became just another race I signed up for but didn't run. That one is probably way better than Seattle @Elaine K

Watch out for Cousin Sal at the LA Marathon.
  • Options
    mbrekk44 said:

I would recommend Los Angeles marathon in February.. I did it a couple years ago, lots of people and a cool way to see the city.. a few hills, but nothing crazy and the last two miles are downhill to santa Monica Beach! And you get to see the Hollywood sign (much different than the corn fields that I'm used to)

I need to run one before the end of the year though...
    mbrekk44
    Tucson, AZ
  • Options
    EvanEvan Member
    i am planning on doing Dallas in December because i live here and i will have just done IMFL so, why not?
    kjrunnin

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities
  • Options

Do California International Marathon in December because, wine.

I did CIM in 2013ish. It's really fast, mostly flat to downhill but not hellishly downhill. Weather can be a coin flip. My year, it was so cold that the spilled water in the aid stations was freezing over. But better cold than hot!

And yeah, wine.
    Aaron Webstey
    ______

• Options
    maggierumaggieru Member, Pro Triathlete
    Following! I have not done the Philly full but did the half back in 2010 as my first half-marathon. Loved it - at least the half was a fast course and a number of different sights between running around downtown, the river and some of the West Philly campuses.

NOTE: this is the only time I would ever recommend Philly for anything. Despite spending 4 years of undergrad there, not the biggest fan of the city.
    insta: @magrusch

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch