frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Barkley marathons....

I know at some point there was a discussion going about the documentary on Netflix. This year one guy finished. One guy kinda finished, just 6 seconds late and coming from the wrong direction. 60 hours and 6 seconds later and still humble. This confirms it for me that Canadians just don't feel anger.

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
M_WareGasBombMartinAaron WebsteyA_drizzleCraig_DccochraneHSeeley14rangamelTad_MGrantInSLCJames Lange

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    We start feeling anger once the playoffs start next week. I've watched the Barkley documentary on Netflix. It's nuts.
    MartinfyrehaarCraig_DHensatcTad_MJames Lange
  • Options
    That dude is a triathlete (EMJ Team) so that's kinda awesome.
    M_WareAaron WebsteyCraig_D

• Options
    I'm tempted to try the Barkley on the "sacrificial lamb" plan, but then I put down my crack pipe.
    M_WareGasBombAaron WebsteyCraig_DTad_MKenElPescadoPeladoBrew_Tri
  • Options
    maggierumaggieru Member, Pro Triathlete
    Watched the documentary this weekend. The craziest thing in my mind is that 1/3 or so of each 20 mile loop is off the beaten path so you literally have to use a compass and map in your delirious to figure out where you are going. How more people don't end up lost in the woods attempting it is beyond me.

Highly recommend the documentary. Highly do not recommend being crazy enough to attempt it.
    GasBombAaron WebsteyDawnCfyrehaarCraig_DTad_MKenElPescadoPeladoJohns622
    insta: @magrusch
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member
    edited April 2017
    Matt said:

We start feeling anger once the playoffs start next week. I've watched the Barkley documentary on Netflix. It's nuts.

For the first time since I can remember I don't have to worry about that because the Redwings were awful.

I'd be willing to give this a shot but am not a boy scout in the least. I'd get out of sight from camp and get lost immediately. It'd be cool to say I finished a lap if I could figure it out though

Anyone know how the EMJ guy did?

I'll edit rather than delete my dumbass question now realizing the EMJ guy is John
    Aaron WebsteyCraig_DTad_M

• Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @GentlemanJerseyDave is the one who turned us on to the documentary last year, IIRC.
    MartinAaron Webstey
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited April 2017
    Brent_R said:

I'm tempted to try the Barkley on the "sacrificial lamb" plan, but then I put down my crack pipe.

I thought it sounded cool until I saw the video of the guy that came in just pass the cutoff. I will happily take a "wimp" tag and pass. https://www.facebook.com/CanadianRunningMagazine/videos/10158430561995425/
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    My response to the documentary was that I love that this event exists and I never, ever, ever want to do it.
    M_WareDawnCTad_MJames Lange
  • Options
    EMJ guy is the only guy who finished and thus won this year, becoming the 15th finisher.
  • Options
    Gary (off course, 6 seconds over)'s blog post afterwards: http://garyrobbinsrun.com/blog/2017/4/close-but-no-cigarette

Nuts. The guy swam through river rapids in top of everything else.
    M_Warefyrehaar
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    He wouldn't have finished even if he had crossed the line 7 seconds earlier.

https://www.facebook.com/trasie.phan/posts/10212547374898805
    Tad_MMattfyrehaarrangamel
    #KOAT
  • Options

Really ruining the feel good story here....
    Aaron Webstey

• Options

That explanation makes me respect this race even more.
    DawnCAaron WebsteyMattTad_M
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

Really ruining the feel good story here....
    #sworry
    #KOAT
  • Options
    I was reading about the race today and thought of this place...hope you are all well.
    M_WareAaron WebsteyGasBombA_drizzleRyan HeislerHSeeley14

Great Uncle, Average Father, Mediocre Triathlete

• Options
    Right back at ya @GentlemanJerseyDave ! Would love an update anytime you feel like it :)
    M_WareHSeeley14
    #KOAT
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    @GentlemanJerseyDave I hope you are healing and doing well.
    M_WareHSeeley14

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    If you haven't wandered over to this guys blog, pretty interesting peek into his training in one post - http://www.randomforestrunner.com/2017/03/28/2017-barkley-marathons-training/.

His last "big run" is a marathon-length set of hill repeats. Totally nutzo to me, and now feel even more fascinated by that race.

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    I like this guy's style, should get him on TRS.
    M_WareAaron WebsteykjrunninGasBombDawnCTad_M
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Gary confirms he'll be giving it another go:

M_WareAaron WebsteyGasBombfyrehaar

• Options
    @AaronWebstey @GasBomb - Thanks.

Here is the update:
    I started moving again a couple months ago and snagged some sweet Patella Tendonitis in the Right Knee. Freaking excruciating - this from a guy with 3 knee surgeries and a bum hip, that PT pain ranked pretty high. I had started trying to exercise too soon after surgery and had to stop then later again I started without a good build up or having fully re-stretched my body. That's all behind me. I'm at it again. Slower than I was but that knee issue woke me up to be patient. No clue where it all goes from here but I'm riding it out with a little hope. I know I need surgery on the Left Hip but until it really kicks in I'm planning to do all I can until December then spend the winter in traction - the left side is not the bridge-jumping level of pain I was in on the right side. All in all, it's fixable and I took my time away from sport to take up scotch and whiskey tasting so what's to complain aboug. I have an entry to the Marine Corps Marathon that was deferred from last year. The plan is to run it or take a DNS but feel good about having tried to get to the starting line.

Other than that all is good. Work is good. Family is good. I appreciate your asking. When I can find the confidence to get my bike back on the road I will come around a bit more.
    Aaron WebsteyMattGasBombM_Waresimonsen77kjrunninRobert RankinKenElPescadoPeladoDawnCBrent_RTad_MHSeeley14

Great Uncle, Average Father, Mediocre Triathlete

• Options
    Thanks @GentlemanJerseyDave , so great to hear from you buddy.
    #KOAT
  • Options
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Just found out there is a Nova Scotian in the Barkely this year!!! Go Jodi Isenor!!
    M_WareHSeeley14kjrunninfyrehaar
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Two people left and only 9 minutes to finish and start the next lap. Not looking like there’ll be any finishers
    M_WareMartinkjrunninAaron WebsteyTad_M

• Options

There will not be a 100-Mile finisher this year. 36 hours has elapsed. #BM100

— The Barkley Marathon (@BarkleyMarathon) March 26, 2018
    Can I sad my own post?
    M_WarekjrunninAaron Websteysimonsen77Tad_Mfyrehaarrangamel
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member
    edited March 2018
    Have to think with the attention the documentary brought, along with a few recent finishers, Laz made the course as difficult as possible. That and the weather yesterday sounded terrible.

A little less dramatic this year, Gary was 12 minutes past the cutoff to start the 4th lap
    Aaron Webstey

• Options
    EvilTwinEvilTwin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    This was awesome to follow on Twitter this year......the course feed was hilarious and these guys are insane
    M_Waresimonsen77Tad_MKenElPescadoPeladoCraig_D
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Gary is a much loved local runner & race director. Total class act. I hope he’ll try again next year.

M_WareAaron WebsteyMartinRobert RankinfyrehaarKenElPescadoPeladoCraig_Drangamel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch