frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

TRS Radio Episode 102 - Emily Cocks & Uli

Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
- Only had time to listen to the intro so far, but I gotta say I am enjoying the @EmilyCocks race analysis stuff. I still wish the 30 minute Monday morning race review podcast had happened (or would happen, either by Ben or Emily & @Zach Miller or anybody else who's good).

- It's always a little disappointing when there's no @Dark_mark but I guess he probably was busy dying his white tank tops pink or oiling up his fancy new bike or whatever

- I don't want to beat the dead 'superleague is awesome' horse, but it is, and the discussion about Macca etc was entertaining.

So looking forward to hearing the interview with @uli .
#KOAT
GasBombDawnCKelly O'Mara

Comments

• Options
    simonsen77simonsen77 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited March 2017
    I particularly liked him calling out the new intro for the Tri Preview show. To me it sounds a lot like the IM Talk intro (as I remember it - haven't listened to it in a couple years).
    GasBomb
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    that's it..I am changing the intro :)
    M_WareGasBombDawnCTad_M
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I like that intro! But I do know of a great theme song/intro writer you could use. Works best under peer pressure/improv style. Voice may require some autotune.
    M_WareKenElPescadoPeladoEmilyCocksGasBombTad_M
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I think Ben needs to get the guy that does the Tri Preview intro to do a race report opening for an upcoming show. I love the random race reports.
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaron WebsteyGasBomb
  • Options
    Whit Raymond is his name. And he is awesome. Does race announcing all over the world. And you might have heard him doing the voice over for Xterra worlds show.
    Aaron WebsteyM_WareDawnCJennifer Post
  • Options
    Oh yeah I meant to say that I've also been enjoying the dramatic race reports. Took me a couple episodes to warm up to em but the last one was excellent.
    Jennifer Post
    #KOAT
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member

Whit Raymond is his name. And he is awesome. Does race announcing all over the world. And you might have heard him doing the voice over for Xterra worlds show.

The old piano intro music was cool, but I'll take Whit over half of one.
    Aaron Webstey
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Is there another segment of Triathlon Facts?
  • Options
    Martin said:

Is there another segment of Triathlon Facts?

Nay :(
    maggieru
    #KOAT
  • Options
    rangamelrangamel Member, Rooster Endurance Member

Oh yeah I meant to say that I've also been enjoying the dramatic race reports. Took me a couple episodes to warm up to em but the last one was excellent.

I'm hanging out to see how the race ends up!
    Aaron Websteybalsdorfsimonsen77Jennifer Postandrewm88
    Slightly mental triathlete who is allergic to the sun

• Options
    The race reports are like a glorious surprise when I start the podcast. I love 'em. Entertains the shit out of me.
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaron WebsteyDawnCM_WarebalsdorfJennifer Postandrewm88

• Options
    AlwaysCuriousAlwaysCurious Member, POTM
    Emily, you have a very pleasant, soothing voice. You could make a lot of money calming neurotic souls.

Also, it was great to hear Uli speak in depth about doping, and his reference to the triathlon omerta. It's definitely not possible to both report on controversial issues and "be friends with" the pro and industry contingent. Uli is spot-on with the notion that our beliefs about an athlete's guilt are directly tied to how much we know and like them.

I'd like to see the podcast focus more on insightful commentary and less on interviews with pro athletes. The desire to not offend potential future guests gets in the way of what is otherwise excellent critical analysis.

GasBombdhrKenElPescadoPeladoDawnCAaron Webstey
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member

I'd like to see the podcast focus more on insightful commentary and less on interviews with pro athletes. The desire to not offend potential future guests gets in the way of what is otherwise excellent critical analysis.

And seriously, the VAST majority of pro interviews are boring.

If I'm being honest, I quit listening a while ago due to this. I'm not interested in a budding friendship with a boring pro.

• Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    @AlwaysCurious @dhr Admittedly not all of the pro's give a polished interview. Probably why some of Ben's best interviews have been non pros. Not really his fault, I think he goes out of his way to give the pros a chance to shine. As for being buddy buddy with the pros, I just don't see it. Sure he's friendly to them, but I don't believe for one second that he would hold back just to stay "friends" with any of the pros. My .02
    DawnCAaron WebsteyAlwaysCuriousTad_M

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    @AlwaysCurious I do coach triathletes...does that count as "calming neurotic souls?"

I don't think it is that pro triathletes are "boring" maybe some people in general are boring?? And, I feel like some pros don't open up as much b/c of sponsors, fear of offending someone, etc.

Personally, this is all in good fun and when talking about race stuff and we are trying to make it interesting. Because, in general, a long race is fairly uninteresting so you need stories behind it to watch/follow along.
    GasBombDawnCAaron WebsteyAlwaysCuriousTad_M
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    @EmilyCocks Also I think for many of the pros, the kind of person or personality that lends itself to being successful in triathlon is one that is boring and one-noted with not a lot of room for personality. Of course there are outliers - I would put you in this category - but generally I think the focus required to do the work day-in and day-out leaves one without the ability or even the desire to be funny or interesting. Plus the sponsors, too, of course.
    balsdorfGasBombAaron WebsteyM_WaredhrKelly O'MaraAlwaysCuriousTad_M
  • Options
    @Dark_mark I agree (especially with the part about me having some personality-ha). Funny because I was, and still am, thoroughly entertained by swimming/biking/running all by myself for hours on end.

I think many athletes, pro and amateur, take all this shit WAY too seriously at times. I was more the go and do the best I could and be happy. Probably needed more a chip on my shoulder to really do well. Or, I am just not that talented.

If Ben wants to spice things up he can ask me about my Michigan upbringing...I got some skeletons for sure. (visits to correctional institutions in Ionia, MI may be involved).

Aaron WebsteyM_Ware
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    @EmilyCocks WERE YOU ON SCARED STRAIGHT
    KenElPescadoPeladoGasBombAaron WebsteyEmilyCocksM_WareRobert Rankin
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    I should specify that I meant only the interviews are boring. That's not meant to imply any of them are boring people. I'd give a shitty, boring interview, too.

I also stand by my "buddy" comment, but I have a difficult time seeing how it could be much different. It's not a fault, per se, but a likely necessary characteristic that holds little appeal to me.

And I'm busy. And I'm a curmudgeon.
    AlwaysCuriousAaron Webstey
  • Options
    AlwaysCuriousAlwaysCurious Member, POTM

@AlwaysCurious I do coach triathletes...does that count as "calming neurotic souls?"

Oh, definitely. I charge extra for more than one "talk me off the ledge" call per month. You could specialize in that kind of athlete and rack up serious overtime charges.

KenElPescadoPeladoM_WareAaron WebsteyEmilyCocksTad_M
  • Options
    Can we start speculating on whose name was bleeped out?
    ______

• Options
    I WILL SHUT THIS SHIT DOWN

But seriously, I don't like the sound of that. Just as a person, not as forum admin.
    #KOAT
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    trsradio69trsradio69 Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I know that was a weird bleep, but given the fact that Uli denied speculating or commenting on that individual, it seemed unfair to both Uli and Dark Mark.
    M_WareJennifer PostAaron WebsteyDawnCbalsdorfTad_M

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch