frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Bone conduction headphones

Has anyone used bone conduction headphones, specifically these "AfterShokz Trekz Titanium Open Ear Wireless Bone Conduction Headphones"? How well did they work for you?

My jaybirds died for the 3rd time so I'm thinking about asking the wife for these for my birthday. I will mainly use them when pushing my twins so I want to be able to hear them and be more aware of people around me.

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member

I also have no experience with the actual question at hand. If that wasn't evident by the shitposting.
    balsdorfsimonsen77DawnCHensatcAaron WebsteyGasBomb
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    No experience with those but I've been using Beats wireless on some long runs and bikes and no problems yet. I found they stay in my ears better than the Jaybirds did.
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I use bone conduction audio for swimming (FINIS). They work great but sound quality is best when head is in the water so that may not be helpful feedback given what you're looking at.

If you get these, let me know how they work. I use Jaybirds running. Left ear doesn't move at all but right ear bud keeps working its way out. Switching to a smaller bud on that side helped a bit but it's still not perfect.

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Obi-Wan Kenobi: These aren't the 'bone conduction' stories you're looking for.
    Stormtrooper: These aren't the 'bone conduction' stories we're looking for.
    Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi: He can go about his business.
    Stormtrooper: You can go about your business.
    Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi: Move along.
    Stormtrooper: Move along... move along.
    Aaron WebsteyTad_MwchevronCraig_DGasBomb
  • Options
    i use beats for workouts (they're awesome). i have the bone conduction ones (i bought them when they were first released for like $79) for swimming. it's wild how it works. i'd imagine outside the water, bone conduction kind of sucks
    Aaron WebsteyGasBomb

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities
  • Options
    Zach BoringZach Boring Member
    edited March 2017
    Everytime I see the title to this thread

balsdorfAaron WebsteyMattKenElPescadoPelado

Zach Boring, Overly Average Looking Man

• Options
    Well you guys were everything I expected so I decided to just try them out for myself.

They work very well in my opinion. The sound is a little muted but I mainly listen to podcasts when I run and they sound good enough to listen to Webstey's Work Jerk stories which is all I care about. It took a little time to get used to being able to hear everything around me but they are working well for me.
    kjrunninM_WareAaron Webstey
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    edited March 2017
    @balsdorf thanks for the update. I love my Finis Duo for the pool. Since I don't like things in my ears I've been thinking about something similar for the rest of my listening, you know, besides using my phone like a boom box.
    KenElPescadoPeladobalsdorf
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch