frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Factor Slick

RashRash Member
Interesting. That's as detailed as my bike knowledge can go. I am sure others might have more in depth opinions.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/factor-unveil-slick-time-trial-bike-for-paris-nice/

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited March 2017
    Interesting...
    Questions
    Can the aerobars tilt?
    Why isn't the Di2 junction box hidden?
    The Twin Vane in the downtube is obviously from Factor's previous bikes, but also the Willier Twin Blade and Ridley's aero line
    Tri accessories?

Vertical drop out
    Wedge front brake
    28mm tire clearance
    Removable FD Hanger to go 1x

Dislike
    Under BB rear brake
    Spotty finish near the BB. Early version cosmetic issues are always a headache.
    RashAaron WebsteyGasBomb
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Can I get a split water bottle to better take advantage of the split tube?
    MattRashAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    simonsen77simonsen77 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    That rear brake under the BB will likely take a mechanic a loooong time to repair while Bardet is stuck hanging on to the team car.
    wchevronEvanMattRashAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoGasBombneil5young
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    ellsworth53tellsworth53t Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Martin said:

Can I get a split water bottle to better take advantage of the split tube?

And is dually 23c rear wheels better for aerodynamics while giving some loss in rolling resistance?
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    In all seriousness, I would genuinely be interested in seeing the wind tunnel results from this exact bike with the split down tube compared to a single, traditional downtube.
    I'm no engineer, but I am skeptical that a split tube like that would perform any better than a single tube. At best, I would guess it tests about the same.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    edited March 2017

In all seriousness, I would genuinely be interested in seeing the wind tunnel results from this exact bike with the split down tube compared to a single, traditional downtube.
    I'm no engineer, but I am skeptical that a split tube like that would perform any better than a single tube. At best, I would guess it tests about the same.

I mean, on second thought, it almost certainly tests worse, right? Unless the two tubes are creating smaller frontal area than a single tube, it has to be marginally worse, right?
    Likewise, the space between the tubes has to be filled with turbulent air further increasing the drag.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Who knows @ellsworth53t , i'd like to see some data with all other factors held constant, but the likelihood of a well done A vs. B test being done is nil. Depending on pressures between tires and downtube and the shape of the channel, they may be onto something there. Even the way the airflow reattaches past the downtube could be manipulated to create a venturi effect. Laminar vs. turbulent may or may not be in play as you said, but let's see the data at multiple yaw angles/speeds. Is pressure build behind the tire and in front of the downtube an area that others haven't mined yet for speed? Maybe Factor thinks so.
    Aaron Websteyellsworth53t
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    edited March 2017

I mean, on second thought, it almost certainly tests worse, right? Unless the two tubes are creating smaller frontal area than a single tube, it has to be marginally worse, right?
    Likewise, the space between the tubes has to be filled with turbulent air further increasing the drag.
    Turbulent isn't a bad thing in all cases. There are scenarios where adding turbulent flow boundary layers can reduce friction (dimples anyone?). It can also be used to fill in empty space to create a more uniform body that react with the fluid as a whole, rather than multiple bodies that collide individually, thus reducing the system drag. Not saying either is the case with the bike in question, just that turbulent =/= "bad"

Disclaimer: I am an engineer.
    Tad_Mellsworth53tMattM_WareAaron Webstey
  • Options
    So true @KHilgendorf , the disclaimer however wasn't really necessary. Kind of like the Zebra in a horse corral saying "by the way guys, I'm a Zebra".
    That's a compliment, by the way.
    M_WareGasBombMartinAaron WebsteyCraig_D
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    Considering the team from Factor has an F1 background and you see all those splits/vents in the hypercars these days, I'd say it has some merit. Mostly at 200+ km/h, maybe a bit less at 45 km/h
    GasBombAaron Webstey
  • Options
    @Matt, those splits/vents are there for a few reasons - brake cooling, cold air intake being important, but mostly for downforce. They actually increase overall drag and ultimately slow the car down as a means to keep them on the road in the corners. It's why a lot of them now have adjustable spoilers that will tuck away when you're really hammering it. If you watch F1, the DRS opens a vent in the rear wing to reduce downforce and allow the car to go faster to make a pass. None of that is particularly applicable to bicycles when handling isn't a concern and overall drag reduction is paramount.
    MattTad_MGasBombAaron Webstey
  • Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I'm loving the new trend of adjustable aero bars that can be done on the fly and don't look terrible.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    @Tad_Machrowicz sorry, disclaimer should have read, "former engineer" I don't have a job. And am currently slumming it in business school.
    KenElPescadoPeladoTad_MAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Rock on @KHilgendorf , that means you're a smart engineer! Well done and best success at school!
    Aaron Webstey

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch